Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Custom Jack Stand?

Kind of funny. Apparently, my front tires were low at the time I had my plow installed at the dealership, but I didn't notice this, and neither did the mechanic at the dealership.
Turns out the tires were lower than they should have been but they appeared to be normal. I recently checked my front tires with a pressure gauge after a recent cold spell and found that one of the tires was alarmingly underinflated. I corrected the problem and even had a tire guy inspect the tires for cracks or leaks. None.

Anyway, all of the height adjustments for the plow installation made at that time were based on my relatively low front tires.

Now that my front tires are at their correct inflation, the tire profile is sufficiently high enough so that the plow mount is a notch or two above the pins on the plow. In other words, the jackstand is too short now, and I now have to mount/unmount the plow with a floor jack.

I don't mind using the floor jack, and this hasn't been a problem, but I'm wondering if I can install a taller jack stand onto my Sno-Way 22? Is there such a part?
Letting air out of my front tires to recreate the precise mounting level isn't an option.

Last edited by MaineMike; 02-22-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 AM

you might want to consider dropping the mount on the truck. In my experience, the higher it is, the worse angle you put on the plow and your cutting blade causing you to trip the springs more often and you won't get to use your feet on the plow properly.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 AM
2000 Club Member

I would lower the mount, and consider slimeing my tires to stop pressure loss in the future.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
2000 Club Member

If you lower the mount I would sure worry about hitting curbs or dragging it on steep inclines.

2004 F-250 V-10,CC, Western 1000 tailgate spreader, BOSS 8 1/2' V Blade
2001 F-250 ext cab 5.4 with a Sno-Way V Blade
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Boss 91/2' V Blade
1994 F150 5.4 Ext, Sno-Way 71/2' Blade
1989 F250 Boss 7 1/2' V Blade
1990 Chevy 2500 with a Henderson V-Box spreader and a Sno-Way 7 1/2' blade
JD 4020
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Lower the blade to the ground. If the a-frame is parallel to the ground, the mounting is in the proper position. If not, the center mount should be adjusted accordingly. We recommend that the centerline of the lower hole (it is actually a "hook") on the 22 Series sub-frame be 8-10" off of the ground (when the plow is not mounted). If your mounting is in this range your jack stand should work properly. If the a-frame is not parallel with the ground, you will get uneven wear on your cutting edge.

You could put a block of wood under the stand before removing it or even bolt a block of wood to the bottom of the jack stand to make up the gap if the a-frame is oriented properly.

Hope that this helps.
www.bossplow.com
Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 AM

has anyone thought about mounting a wheeled hand crank trailer stand on thier plow to help postion plow and truck and help with moving it ?

"Lock and load!"

"There are two places to find the truth. First God and then Fox News."

Denny Crane

06 CHEVY 2500 4X4 EXT 8FT WESTERN UNIMOUNT PRO