Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Fisher Plow Fluid Change/fill

I need some direction on how to change my fluid in my plow, and how to tell when it is full.

Also, where the fill and drain is. I am new to fisher plows, and plowing in general.

Thank you
Old 02-12-2007, 05:43 PM
2000 Club Member

What style of Fisher do you have? Cable operated? Solenoid operated? Insta act? Make's a differece in the fluid change procedure.Let us know and someone here will be able to help. BTW Welcome!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

Well, its a MM2, 9' on a 1997 Chevy 3500 dually, that is all i know, It supposedly came with the truck from the dealer if that helps.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
2000 Club Member

being this close to a nasty storm, and not being familiar with it, i wouldn't touch it until after this storm is over as long as changing the fluid isn't a life or death situation for the plow. Is this your truck or a friends? MM2 is A LOT newer than 1997, so if you mean dealer as in when the truck was new, then you were lied to!!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, it has the plow attached to the frame, and the lights, i thought that was MM2, I might be wrong, all stickers are gone/painted over (by me) ... When I take the plow off the truck, the lights and frame come with it. I thought that was MM2.

The 4-5 times I used it this year I had no problems, so you are right, if its not broke, don't go fixing it a day before a storm .. so how do I find out what model of plow I have? The reason I want to make sure it is full of fluid is because my lift piston leaks (VERY LITLE) it doesn't drop at all on its own, but a few drops do end up c oming out of the top ring.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
2000 Club Member

the trianglular shaped piece that the top of the lift chain attaches to, is the top of it flat, or does it have somewhat of a rounding off to it? also, do you have to engage each pin seperatly or is there one lever to activate both pins simultaneously?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Do you connect/disconnect two or three wires when hooking/unhooking the plow?
8' Fisher MM2
Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antnee77 View Post
Do you connect/disconnect two or three wires when hooking/unhooking the plow?
that wouldn't matter, both the newest MM1's had the insta-act (three wire) as well as all the MM2s until this year. Also, the just previous of the insta act MM1s had two wire as well as this years models are back to the two wire setup.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
2000 Club Member

How about posting a pic of the plow? Then we could tell you exactly what style of plow it is.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwlandscaping View Post
that wouldn't matter, both the newest MM1's had the insta-act (three wire) as well as all the MM2s until this year. Also, the just previous of the insta act MM1s had two wire as well as this years models are back to the two wire setup.
Yeah, but I'd put money on him having a MM1. If it's a two plug setup, then that's just reinforcing my theory.
8' Fisher MM2
Old 02-13-2007, 05:33 AM

Well, it has the plow attached to the frame, and the lights, i thought that was MM2, I might be wrong, all stickers are gone/painted over (by me) ... When I take the plow off the truck, the lights and frame come with it. I thought that was MM2.

The 4-5 times I used it this year I had no problems, so you are right, if its not broke, don't go fixing it a day before a storm .. so how do I find out what model of plow I have? The reason I want to make sure it is full of fluid is because my lift piston leaks (VERY LITLE) it doesn't drop at all on its own, but a few drops do end up c oming out of the top ring.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwlandscaping View Post
the trianglular shaped piece that the top of the lift chain attaches to, is the top of it flat, or does it have somewhat of a rounding off to it? also, do you have to engage each pin seperatly or is there one lever to activate both pins simultaneously?
a flat triangle piece, 2 separate pins to lock in, and 2 wireing harnesses to connect.

It must be a MM1,

So, how do I make sure its full of fluid?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

When you drop the blade down and it goes into float mode, get out of the truck and push down on the triangular piece until you see the lift cylinder completely retract. Then, stand the plow up straight and open the fill plug. The fluid level should be just below the level of the fill plug on the side.
8' Fisher MM2
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Would this be the same for a MM2? I have not changed my fluid yet and it is 3 years old. I know I am a bad boy. Is there a quick and dirty how to guide on how to change the fluid? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 PM

Use this link to the Fisher Service Training Manual. Go to page 15, It will tell you what to do. We recomend the Fisher Blue Fluid in electric units. It the best fluid to use.
http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/2...Compressed.pdf
Old 03-16-2007, 09:11 AM

Great info, thank you.