Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 AM

E47 Meyers Pump Won't Lower

Just got done recently adding a Meyers EZ Mount Set up to my 90' Full Size Blazer. With the EZ Mount set up I am using a 7-1/2 foot Meyers Plow from a older Chevy Pickup I owned for a number of years and sold most recently. I had restored the older 79' Chevy Short Bed Pickup with new sheet metal and hadn't used the plow in 5 years so my E-47 pump just sat on the shelf although in a dry enviroment in my Pole Barn.

Anyway to make a long story as short as possible I am now using that same Meyers E-47 Pump on the 90' K5 Blazer with a brand new wiring harness and manual switches. Without the plow itself being connected I can raise the Ram on the pump but it will not go down on its own or by trying to push it down by hand with the manual switch in the down position. I tried flushing the pump and adding new Meyers pump fluid to it. Before I did this I also took both filters out and cleaned them in Kerosene and blew them out with air although they didn't look dirty. During the process of replacing the fluid with the drain plug out and filter plugs removed I was able to push down on the Ram with no problem until seated expelling the old fluid. Put everything back together, filled the pump and raised the ram again but still can't get the Ram to come back down.

I then took the A- Coil and valve out of the back of the unit and then manually pushed the ram back down expelling some fluid out the back. Cleaned the valve with Kerosene and blew it out. Also took a very small screwdriver and stuck it in the bottom of the valve and found that it moves in and out freely, no sticking. Also had another valve from years ago setting around with old parts. Tried both clean valves and 2 old A Coils. Still the ram didn't come down. I then went out and purchased 2 brand new A-Coils on the net and received them on Tuesday. Tried both of them, no difference, the Ram still does not come down even while pushing on it. Yes there is power coming from my wiring harness's black wire to the A-Coil with the switch in the down position.

Just curious if anyone on the forum has any other suggestions to what I should try next? I have run out of thoughts.

Questions: Can both valves that I have in my posession be bad although I checked them both by pushing a small screwdriver into both bottoms finding both moving freely in and out?

Should I try hooking up the plow and raising it to see if the plows heavy weight will bring the ram down on its own? Don't know exactly where to go here with this situation right now. Need some answers.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM

I doubt the problem is in your a valve. Did you check the coil for magnatism? Remove the fill cap and try lowering the ram. Also with dry seals it may take excessive force to lower the ram(remember the plow weighs a lot more than you do.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 PM

I would try to hook your plow up and see if the weight will bring it down. I know with mine I don't weigh enough to push the ram down, but then again, I'm 150 pounds soaking wet.

01' 4x4 s10---no more plow....boooo
:::S-10/Sonoma expert:::
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM

I will give it a try tomorrow and hook the 90' Blazer up to the plow and see what happens. Hopefully it will come down with the weight of the plow. I do remember going back some years when this same E-47 pump was on my short bed pickup that I was able to manually push down on the ram with the manual switch in the down position though. I can't understand why it won't let me do that now. I hope the 2 new A-Coils I purchased aren't defective. That is why I purchased 2 just in case one was bad. You just don't ever know with electrical parts. In the past I have seen brand new ignition control modules and brand new regulators defective brand new in the box being I sell auto parts for a living.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23 View Post
I will give it a try tomorrow and hook the 90' Blazer up to the plow and see what happens. Hopefully it will come down with the weight of the plow. I do remember going back some years when this same E-47 pump was on my short bed pickup that I was able to manually push down on the ram with the manual switch in the down position though. I can't understand why it won't let me do that now. I hope the 2 new A-Coils I purchased aren't defective. That is why I purchased 2 just in case one was bad. You just don't ever know with electrical parts.
Sunday I hooked up the plow and still had the same problem. It would go up but it would not lower yet it moved just fine to the left and right. I checked the black wire again with my test light with the switch in the down position going to the A-Coil and found it still had power coming out of it. I had taken the A-Coil off trying a few different ones new and old a few days before with no luck as well as trying and recleaning the 2 valves I had on hand. I was ready to give up and again and look to the forum for some answers Sunday afternoon. I then decided to pull the Blazer in to my Pole Barn and tried to get something going a few more times and believe it or not finally when putting the up/down switch in the down position surprisely the plow went down. I have no idea what made that happen other then that maybe from moving the plow to the left and to the right on a few ocasions might of caused the flow of Hydraulic fluid to free something up in the pump. I have no other answers other then that it goes up and down fine now as well as to the left and right. Hopefully I will not have anymore problems with it. Maybe because the pump was sitting for so long 5 years on a shelf it somehow caused this problem. Wish I knew the answer.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 AM
2000 Club Member

If this ever happens again disconnect the black wire connector at the A coil and using a jumper wire run it directly from the battery to the connector on the black wire and see if it lower's (be careful if the blade drops!) I'd bet your problem was/is in your up/down toggle switch.If it drop's when you connect the jumper then you can be sure it's in the toggle or harness.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B View Post
If this ever happens again disconnect the black wire connector at the A coil and using a jumper wire run it directly from the battery to the connector on the black wire and see if it lower's (be careful if the blade drops!) I'd bet your problem was/is in your up/down toggle switch.If it drop's when you connect the jumper then you can be sure it's in the toggle or harness.
I don't know both switches and harness are brand new and I always had power at the black wire going to the A-Coil with the Up/Down Switch in the down position. I feel the problem was caused by something inside the pump but I could be wrong. As I mentioned I had the valve out a number of times swaping it with another valve. Both were soaked in Kerosene and blown out with air so no stickyness when pushing the bottom of the valve in with a small screwdriver. I also tried 2 new A-Coils and 2 old ones. Left the power on with the switch in the down position and worked the valves with a coil connected out side of the pump and you could hear both valves working as I tried each with different coils attached, grounded and with power applied. Yet at that point when I put one of the valves back inside the pump it still wouldn't let the ram go back down until yesterday afternoon Sunday when I hooked it up to the plow still having problems until later on when all of a sudden it decided to let the plow down.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 AM
2000 Club Member

Every time you had the A valve out of the pump could you easily push the lift ram down?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Every time you had the A valve out of the pump could you easily push the lift ram down?
Yes, everytime the A-valve was taken out of the pump I was able to push the lift ram down by hand expelling fluid from the back of the pump where the A-valve screws into it.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Yes, every time the A-valve was taken out of the pump I was able to push the lift ram down by hand expelling fluid from the back of the pump where the A-valve screws into it.
It has to be something with the A valve,their's nothing else in the pump to stop the flow of fluid out of the lift ram.Even if the filter between the ram and the A valve was nearly plugged it should still drop slowly. How tight are you torquing the A valve when your installing them? Sometime's if their overtightened it can distort the valve body enough to jam the spool inside the valve which could cause the problem's you had. When you removed any of the valve's were any of the O-ring's torn?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 PM

I recently had a customer bring his vehicle to me with the same problem and what I found was someone put the red plastic plug in where the fill/relief valve is suppose to go. If air can't get out-which it eventually does when you remove the caps for the filter or remove the "A" valve, it will go down. Make sure there is a relief valve on it and that it works. You can do this by operating the unit with the fill plug on top removed.

Other than that, it sounds like a piece of debri in the pump body intermittantly blocking a passage.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
It has to be something with the A valve,their's nothing else in the pump to stop the flow of fluid out of the lift ram.Even if the filter between the ram and the A valve was nearly plugged it should still drop slowly. How tight are you torquing the A valve when your installing them? Sometime's if their overtightened it can distort the valve body enough to jam the spool inside the valve which could cause the problem's you had. When you removed any of the valve's were any of the O-ring's torn?
I agree with you, must be something with the 2 valves. I actually am tightening just a little more then hand tight with a 3/8" rachet. About what I would tighten a spark plug. O-rings on both valves looked fine. Like I said it is working now as of Sunday. Didn't try it yet today. Matter a fact I just got home from work and I am going to go out and give it a try to see if anything changed since yesterday. Haven't really had any real Snow in my area other then a inch or less. Nothing to really test this plow with.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
I recently had a customer bring his vehicle to me with the same problem and what I found was someone put the red plastic plug in where the fill/relief valve is suppose to go. If air can't get out-which it eventually does when you remove the caps for the filter or remove the "A" valve, it will go down. Make sure there is a relief valve on it and that it works. You can do this by operating the unit with the fill plug on top removed.

Other than that, it sounds like a piece of debri in the pump body intermittantly blocking a passage.
I did check the relief valve on top and it looks fine. Someone told me to unscrew it a couple of posts back and try to lower the ram without it but it made no difference. As of yesterday the plow was going down with the relief valve in place. Didn't try it today as of yet.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I did check the relief valve on top and it looks fine. Someone told me to unscrew it a couple of posts back and try to lower the ram without it but it made no difference. As of yesterday the plow was going down with the relief valve in place. Didn't try it today as of yet.
Everything is working fine now as of Wednesday this week although there is no snow to plow in my area to really give my system a work out. I am a good 95% sure my problem went away. Only wish I knew how the problem went away in case it ever happens to me again down the road.

Now I can focus on the wiring of my Plow lights. I am going to start a new thread on this since I am looking for a answer to a question I have in mind.