Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

quadratrac? good or bad

okay, the 4 cyl CJ-7 got sold, but I found another one I kind of like. Low miles, 6 cyl and looks saveable and its cheap money. However, I noticed it has a 3 speed auto (not my first choice) and Quadratrac. I don't know much about Quadratrac, except that I had an old yard dog Cherokee Chief with it, never really drove it except around the yard. I vaguely remember thinking it was a lousy system, not sure why. The t-case chain went and it was too much money to replace on a beater. Also there was something weird with vacuum lines, or something. Anywho, should I consider a CJ with an auto and quadratrac, or is it crap that I should stay away from? I certainly don't like the idea of full time 4wd, is it hard to put locking hubs or would you still need to convert the t-case like you do with a Chevy? What is the actual function of quadratrac, I mean is there a 2 hi, 4 hi, and so forth?
thanks in advance.

97 Chevy K3500 eclb dually, 6.5 TD, sold

Snow-Ex 1875 for sale-needs repair

82 Chevy cclb fleetside dually project. 454/th400/np205. Fisher 8' conventional

91 Blazer 7.5 Fisher conventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC SERVICES View Post
After seeing your random and border line annoying post(s) I'm going to have request you to remove my qoute from your sig. Thank you......
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM

i havne't owned a quadratrack for a few years but here is what i remember. the quadra track is jsut 4 hi but there should be a switch in the glove box that will kind of lock the transfer case, or give less slip between the front and back(or soemthing along those lines if i remember) and that is all vaccume controled as you mentioned. i believe you can add 4 low to it....some aftermarket company makes it. as for the auto trans they used a few different ones. a GM TH400 and a chrysler 727 and a 904 i think.....any of those are cheap to rebuild and fairly tough to begin with. i don't believe it was an inherently BAD system but there are downfalls....no 4 lo and always in 4wd.

mine had a bad TH400 when i bought it so i had it rebuilt for $400. given the chance to do it over again I would have taken the TH400/NPwhatever out of my buddys wrecked pickup and mounted it to the 350 i put in there instead of adapting it to the AMC bolt patern th400 that was in there.....then i would have had 2wd and 4lo as well for about the same price.

CURRENT PLOW TRUCK:
2000 Chevy 2500 Boss 7'6" Super Duty ready to work!!!

PAST PLOW TRUCKS:
98 Jeep Wrangler Western Suburbanite 7'4"
SOLD 11/19/06.

92 Ford F150 7.5' Sno-way w/downpreasure
SOLD 5/10/08
Old 12-31-2006, 11:30 AM

I have an 86 CJ now that has a 304 and had a T176 trans in it. I blew the trans and swapped out the trans, t/c and front and rear axles and put in a quadratrac system on mine. I only plow with my Jeep so for me it was an improvement. The Jeep is in 4 wheel drive all the time. We haven't had any snow yet so I havn't plowed with it yet but I can't wait. With the quadratrachs you have to make sure that you have plenty of fluid in the transfer case and just take care of it.