Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 PM

Plowing Techniques- How To Plow

Is there a certian way you need to attack driveways? I have a very large (wide and long) driveway to do and I am trying to picture in my head how I would attempt it. If we get 12'' of snow, I dont think I could just plow straight ahead....Thanks for any pointers you can give...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
2000 Club Member

First thing you do is don't wait for 12" of snow.You may have to plow a couple of times to cut it back. Once the sides of snow freeze that's it.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 12-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Don't be afraid of that skinny little pedal,the one on the right.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:48 PM

plow with the storm not at the end....not plow in and handi cap ramps....dont leave a mess...dont be afraid to get on the gas and dont be afraid to hit curbs....good luck...look when u back up

2009 chevy 2500hd reg cab 8ft bed
8foot meyers dimond edge
lesco salt spreader
toro blowers

R.A.F Enterprise
http://napower.com/rafpower
Old 12-09-2006, 06:59 PM

DON'T be afraid to angle your plow. Make a windrow, and then keep plugging away at it 4 feet at a time. if you have a large area you will get spillover so just keep makin passes at it. THat's what I did before i got hired at Public works. Now when i plow roads i just push to the right. We dont push straight foward cause it would be to hard. It can be fun. At least the first few times.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM

Start off about 4-6" of snow at the most if you can, don't wait till the storm is done.

If you are stacking the snow on the right, make your first pass on the left most edge with the plow angled to the right and make several passes never going much more than 1/2 the plows width into the windrow. or vise versa

move all easy to get to snow before doing any back dragging, even if you have to drag snow onto an area you already cleared, it will pack down less and then you can clean it up going foreward.

make sure you know your suroundings, and don't hit anyone or anything. I mark out all my residential drives about 6-8" from the asphault as a guide. Use flexible fiberglass markers with reflective tape at the top to spot easily in the dark

you will learn "tricks" as you get experience that make things easier and faster for ya

good luck
2001 SVT Cobra mustang (non-snow fun)
local radar loop http://wwwa.accuweather.com/radar-lo...anim=1&large=1
Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM

I have one driveway thats got me thinkin, its 2 car widths wide, and 3 car lengths long, goes from the road straight to the 2 car garage.
Where the hell do I put the snow? Pushing it across the road is out, its a busy 3 lane rd.
To make matters worse, its stone.
30" Snow Plow shovel that you can't stop
Old 12-13-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNY View Post
I have one driveway thats got me thinkin, its 2 car widths wide, and 3 car lengths long, goes from the road straight to the 2 car garage.
Where the hell do I put the snow? Pushing it across the road is out, its a busy 3 lane rd.
To make matters worse, its stone.
Sounds like you have to drag it back and stack it near the entrance to the driveway. That one sounds like it sucks. Is it a busy street in the middle of the night?

2011 GMC 1500 CC/SB
Trying to figure out a plow!

Grasshopper 930D w/ 60" Plow
Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLM-1 View Post
Sounds like you have to drag it back and stack it near the entrance to the driveway. That one sounds like it sucks. Is it a busy street in the middle of the night?
not really, but its a curbed road.
30" Snow Plow shovel that you can't stop
Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 PM

round here,, My local ordinance says ,, snow must stay on the property in which it fell,, that means i drag it out to the street and then shove it towards one side of the drive or the other.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM

if you get permission from the other property owner there would be no issue with you putting it there... but alot of towns have laws about leaving windrows in roadways
2001 SVT Cobra mustang (non-snow fun)
local radar loop http://wwwa.accuweather.com/radar-lo...anim=1&large=1
Old 12-14-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Is there a certian way you need to attack driveways? I have a very large (wide and long) driveway to do and I am trying to picture in my head how I would attempt it. If we get 12'' of snow, I dont think I could just plow straight ahead....Thanks for any pointers you can give...
When i look at a driveway which is all that I plow, I make sure I have truck in it and I find my deposit area before I do anything else. Once I have a deposit area for the snow I am able to see how the driveway has to be cleared .
Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittincobra01 View Post
Start off about 4-6" of snow at the most if you can, don't wait till the storm is done.

If you are stacking the snow on the right, make your first pass on the left most edge with the plow angled to the right and make several passes never going much more than 1/2 the plows width into the windrow. or vise versa

move all easy to get to snow before doing any back dragging, even if you have to drag snow onto an area you already cleared, it will pack down less and then you can clean it up going foreward.

make sure you know your suroundings, and don't hit anyone or anything. I mark out all my residential drives about 6-8" from the asphault as a guide. Use flexible fiberglass markers with reflective tape at the top to spot easily in the dark

you will learn "tricks" as you get experience that make things easier and faster for ya

good luck
SpittinCobra01

If I understand you correctly... you would back into a residentail driveway, push the snow, then back-drag and finish up by pushing the back-dragged snow?

When I back-drag the first foot or two gets clean, but then I start to leave snow. I'm sure with practice I'll get better, but is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Sponsor

Eric,

If I am doing a residential, say like 2 cars wide, 2-3 cars long, garage on the end, and the snow is piled on one side. This is how I do it. Lets say piled on the right side in this example.

I push the apron in, a little farther in on the right then the left. (Turning the blade, forming an angled line between pile and street)
Then line up and push the line from the driveway into the yard on the right. (love the scoop feature on my 810)
Then back drag from the garage, back to the same spot as the first line.
Then back out and push line into the pile.
If I left any snow boogers or lines in the drive, they are probally small, and I just pull in straight and back drag them out to the street. (very little bit only)
It take a few minutes, and is a pain backing and turning, but it leaves the drive clean.

(with the 810 being so heavy, on shorter drives in light snows sometimes I will just pull straight in and back drag it all to the street, then just angle it over to the side where the city plows are putting thier snow. Takes alot less time, like 1 minute total)
Dealers Wanted - PM for details.

Visit and "like" us on Facebook. New pictures and vids updated frequently on our Facebook Page.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:11 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

This is how I do driveways. Everthing gets backdragged to the street. Start in the middle of the drive and backdrag. Move to the left or right, doesnt matter....slightly angle the blade away from the edge so that if any snow decides to drift it will move toward the edge of the drive. Do the same for the other side. Most times you will leave a thin layer of snow. To fix this, drop the plow and push toward the garage lifting the blade a few feet before the garage. Pull ahead of your small pile and bagdrag to the street. Once the drive is finished, pull into the street and push the snow angling your blade toward the curb leaving it right were the plows do. Usually I can finish in under ten minutes or so.

John

Last edited by clncut; 12-18-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 AM

A basic driveway should take 3 minutes tops , Drag back to street from right to left or left to right. Push pile off to 1 side or the other ,,

Back in push to street and again push to one side or the other ,, Go to next driveway ..

If anyone thinks the driveway should be scraped clean tell them to get another plow company or a shovel..The hole concept of plowing should leave a skim of snow on the surface because you should have the feet on your plow , I myself do not keep the feet on but because there supposed to be on one can conclude 100% removal was never the intention of a snow plow

I do 22 driveways ,it takes is 75 minutes including travel time from my home and back.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehrd View Post

I do 22 driveways ,it takes is 75 minutes including travel time from my home and back.
You have some smaller size drives that are dead in a row for the most part then...if you divide that up ur looking at 2mins a driveway with 1 min travel time inbetween.....and the ride to the first site and back to your home..............Or your just that dam fast..
Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

3 minutes, that is pretty fast. I did forget to add that we shovel the small amount left over in front of the gargage.

John
Old 12-18-2007, 11:11 AM

how to plow without leaving trails

i just started plowing this year but am not sure if i am plowing right i always seem to leave trails and must go over it about 5 times before i get it all clean can anyone give me tips thank you
Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 AM
2000 Club Member

Don't spill your beer when hitting the pile. Hold it in the hand that you control the plow with, too hard to steer and hold the can upright.

One of those hard hat's with the straws works great.

joker, those are snow bunnies, good luck catching them.

Seriously, don't so big of a 'bite' when plowing, use less and less of the moldboard until it doesn't spill off. You'll be able to determine how much to use as you plow more. On heavier snow falls, don't worry about them, plow the lot twice. If you really want to prevent\reduce them, get wings or a plow with expandable wings.

Happy guys? I didn't say the B word..........................................YET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neige View Post
Professionally speaking I think its unprofessional to say its unprofessional if you dont professionally clear snow like a professional.

Last edited by Mark Oomkes; 12-18-2007 at 11:44 AM.