Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2003, 06:54 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Smith
The video thelawnguy is talking about was a Nissan like he said, and it was doing 60 MPH (from the look of the video). It made it seem like if it slowed down it would spin out IMO.
A Nissan is a far cry from 8,000 - 10,000#. That is what planted the 'negative seeds' about the plow IMO. That's not to say that a Nissan won't be able to use a wing effectively, but, most on here plow with full size trucks, so seeing a video of a Nissan, started you off on the wrong foot (again IMO). I know MANY small vehicles have no trouble with a front blade, that has been proven over and over. It is a wing on them that made us question if it would actually work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Smith
Back on the topic, I think it is great that we now have real use input, instead of just assumptions based on appearance, general experience, and opinions.

Exactly Reg. Bill and Jeere's experience is what I am talking about

Mick, Sidewing was at the BBQ last year, they had their truck practically inside the garage door. I spoke to Reg myself. Reg offered to come down here and show me how the wing works last winter, but, we had no snow to see it in action. This year would have been great, since it snowed so much here.

~Chuck

Smith Brothers Services, LLC
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 PM
cigam

Wing plow on pickups (3/4 ton)

Many people use them in the Maine & NH area. They work excellent, a lot of Highway Department's use them.

When you get one, they usually add an extra spring to the side in which the wing is mounted to equal out the weight. My town has one on their 1-ton, it works great. They bought it from Howard P. Fairfield, but I know of other companys who make them.

Everest Snow Plow Equipment
Tenco Snow Plow Equipment
Birco Wing Plows
HP Wing Plows (as said it's Howard P Fairfield) - someone also wrote this
Cote Wing (someone also said this)

but my favorite plows are the ones made by Wayne Brown in Maine. He makes RIGHT WAY plows plus WING plows for 1-tons and 3/4 ton trucks.

Check them out here, they are rugged and work great.
http://www.brownhomesteadinc.com/snowplowsx.html

Sincerely,
Jake
Old 07-01-2004, 09:50 PM
cigam

Wing plow on pickups (3/4 ton)

Oh ps, I wouldn't put a wing on a Nissan or Toyota or Mazda....

I recommend them only on Chevy, Dodge, and Ford...... and I know dealers (truck dealers) can order them specially. Municipal dealers are the best bet.

Sincerely,
Jake
Old 07-03-2004, 08:51 AM
cigam

I'm told by Birco Engineering a wing plow (posted in the front - mid of the frame) is around $2,500

If you get a SideWing brand wing plow, it's on the back of the truck on the right hand side and if you take a corner, you'll be missing a lot of snow..... because the plows arn't near eachother... so your back tires will be going over a snowbank.

Attached is a pic of the Birco Wing
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2004, 10:00 AM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cigam
If you get a SideWing brand wing plow, it's on the back of the truck on the right hand side and if you take a corner, you'll be missing a lot of snow..... because the plows arn't near eachother... so your back tires will be going over a snowbank.
???

I've pushed a little bit of snow and never had that problem and I don't have any wing at all. So why would a wing (according to you, SideWing especially, apparently) CAUSE it? What I do is push the snow with a front blade properly sized for the truck it's on. The side wing is there only to push the snow further to the side - best suited to plowing roads.. And I've never seen a wing on the left side of the vehicle, anyway, except for a wing on the front plow - like a Blizzard 8-10.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:22 AM
cigam

If you take a turn with your truck, your front tire will ride on the snow..... (if it's a sharp turn)..... and your rear tire tire will ride on snow if it's medium-sharp. Especially if it's a 7 - 7 1/2 foot. A guy I know who has a Chevy 1500 with a 7' something, well the snowbank to his right side, pushed his door in.....
Old 07-03-2004, 10:25 AM
cigam

In NH, the state has equipped double wing plows, or right hand, or left hand side plows on their trucks.

Some one-way plows face the left.

This is only on the ones that plow the highway which has more than two lanes.

And it's usually an option of which side you want. Standardly, it's on the right. But left is an option.

Such as the United Kingdom. You can't use a wing on the right side, unless it's on a highway.... where you can drive on the other lane.

Last edited by cigam; 07-03-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:07 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cigam
If you take a turn with your truck, your front tire will ride on the snow..... (if it's a sharp turn)..... and your rear tire tire will ride on snow if it's medium-sharp. Especially if it's a 7 - 7 1/2 foot.
Interesting. The 7.5' I have on the 1/2 ton Dodge and the 9' on the DRW Chevy 3500 are angled close to the front tire whichever direction I turn. The front wheel couldn't possibly run over any snow unless the moldboard was raised. I suppose if I was going real slow and it was a dry, fine snow, then I might get some trailoff that the outside rear wheel might run over, but it would be pretty insignificant. But usually I'm going fast enough that the snow curls over and away from the truck. Even going slow if the snow is wet/heavy, it'll curl over. That just the way the plow is designed.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:12 PM
cigam

and how about the rear tires?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

On a straight truck, the rear tires follow the front tires through the turn.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:52 PM
cigam

If you are DRIVING straight, a straight vehicles will match. But if the truck takes a TURN to the left or right, the rear tires will drive over unplowed snow, or a small snowbank. (IF YOU TURN).

If you have a Front Mount wing plow, and take a right hand turn (such as plowing streets, as they usually only make right hand sharp corners), the tires won't drive over the snow as much as if you had the rear mount wing plow. Next time you plow, look at your tire marks (take a sharp turn).
Old 07-03-2004, 07:20 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

I've been plowing for a few years.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:42 PM
cigam

Take a turn (with the plow off the ground) in the snow, and you'll notice the tires do not follow the front tires. If the rear ones turned as well, yes it'd be the same. But not when the rear tires are straight and the front are turning.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:48 AM
2000 Club Member

i had a 89 jeep wrangler with 31's yok's all terrian's that blizzard of 95/96 no problem i would of kept it if the carb didnt always make the jeep stall

2012 Chevy 4x4 2500 hd reg cab 7.6 Western Ultra Pro Plow

2003 FORD F350 crew cab 4x4 7.3 psd 8ft western ultra mount pro plow

SEAFOAM FOREVER !!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 05:32 AM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Sidewing

The wheels do not run over snow when using the Sidewing, and in fact it protects the right side of the Truck up or down. The big difference between the Sidewing design and the Birco front mounted wing is the Sidewing pickup will push MORE snow with the wing down and track straight, with the front mounted wing the front of the truck is forced to the left. Having 2 seasons on a Sidewing it's almost doubled my productivity, plus I can wing back banks etc. The truck is starting into a sharp right hander in the pic.

Bill
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2004, 05:40 AM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's a pic of the TRuck benching a snow bank, the sdiewing is raised all the way up. You couldn;t do this with a pick up and a front mounted wing the front of truck would never stay straight
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2004, 06:11 AM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's the front of the truck, it's pushing a lot of snow. Without the sidewing helping keep the front of the truck turned into the bank it would be hard to do

Bill
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2004, 04:58 PM
cigam

You can push banks back with the Birco. A bunch of municipalities use them. They wouldn't if they were ****. Take a complete right turn with the truck, (got a pick?), you'll see the tire go over snow.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:44 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Have you ever plowed yourself with a wing? I got a 1000 + hrs on the Sidewing, and NO it doesn't come close to putting a tire in the snow. and yes you can push banks back with a Birco, but not with with the front plow full too like the picture, got any pics of your truck with it's wing to back up your claims? Here's aroad with close to 2 ft of snow in it, notice I had to back out of the push with only the front plow angled , it pushed the front of the truck sideways

Bill
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2004, 07:49 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's a pic after the first pass. The front plow was in a V and the wing out
Attached Images