Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2000, 10:15 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

I've been interested in a wing for my pick up plow truck. Sidewing has a plow availible at $1900 US. Want your ideas if it would work. I have turned down contracts for plowing private roads, because I think you need a wing to move snow off to the side, any they weren't big enough to buy a special piece of equipement for. Would a wing work on parking lots? I think the extra time and time is money to raise and lower the blade would offset the extra clearing width. But what could you buy for $1900?
Comments
Bill
Old 08-26-2000, 08:42 AM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill- there is a company in canada <a href="http://www.w-cote.com">w-cote</a>. they make wing plows for smaller trucks. i don't know if they go for under $1900, but in the literature they sent me, the plow is a frount mounted wing, while the sidewing is a rear mounted one. i don't know how hard it would be to make one, but maybe if you good with a welder and do a little fabrication, you could make one to your needs. no one around here uses wing plows, so i can't really give you brands. there is also a wing plow sold by <a href="http://www.hpfairfield.com"> hp fairfield </a> called the hp 102 wing plow. hope this helps.

bryan

Old 08-26-2000, 10:57 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

The fact they make a plow that fits doesnt mean it will do the job intended. I cant see a pickup truck moving a wing plow and a front plow with anything more than an inch or two of light snow. That wing will keep pushing the truck around in circles.

Something to think about.

In central CT all the towns have at least one wing, mounted on the largest truck they have. Its good for clearing half the road at a time, but that truck is working.

Bill
Old 08-26-2000, 04:32 PM

I agree with lawnguy,I've been on a "wing plow" web site and they have that one mounted on a nissan pickup and I just don't see it pushing a decent amount of snow with out getting pushed around(like into other cars, fire hydrants, brick walls,curbs,etc),even a larger truck is going to have a hard time with any thing more than 3 or 4 fluffy inches. Then think of what happens if it won't raise or blows a line and runs your main pump out of fluid(thats how the one I saw was opperated is off the exsisting plow pump using a diverter valve)your stuck with nothing to plow snow ,at least with a regular plow it can be driven to a shop with the blade on the ground, That doesn't work so well with some thing 10ft wide that you can't see.Also I saw how close to the truck body the blade was in the retracted position,this also is a problem because if some one were to bump into a object the damage could be to the whole side of a truck,starts to make the plow pretty expensive and the jobs not very profitable.
Old 08-26-2000, 06:50 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a w cote wing plow on 91 F 350 (the truck has been traded). I was using it for plowing private roads, and many towns in maine also use them. They will work well, if your speed can be kept up, and you are not climbing big hills. Also you want a 1 Ton with a v-box, you the snow doesn't push you around. Only with the 10' blade on my 650, a wing was never needed.

Geoff
Old 08-26-2000, 08:44 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

geoff- i have some questions i want to ask you, please email me at bkrois@aol.com, i forgot your email address. by the way, how were the hydraulics and mounting set up for the w-cote wing plow?

thanks,

bryan
Old 08-26-2000, 08:56 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Well that was back in the day of belt driven hydraulics. So they ran of a belt driven pump. My system involved a mess of hydraulics hoses inside the cab. I had levers that controlled the wing, front blade, and spreader ( i had a hydrolic one once). To run this i wasn't useing the standard fisher belt driven pump. I had a guy put something together to make it all work, the end result was it worked, on it was a mess. The truck became a 2 seater, and it was just a mess never will i go back to that.

The wing required one double acting cylinders, to make it work. I bought the plow, used but it had never been used. A guy bought it for private roads, decided he didn't want to change the appearance of his truck, and sold the wing.

Mounting the wing, requires removing the front bumper, and installing a bracket connected to the frame of the truck and plow frame. The bumper can be remounted further out. A second bracket was installed just behind the cab on the frame.

I might have not had the cote brand, that you are talking about. I was able to use my fisher plow with the wing. While the coat system looked like you needed to use their plow and wing together.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 08-27-2000 at 02:13 AM]
Old 04-10-2003, 06:38 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by thelawnguy
The fact they make a plow that fits doesnt mean it will do the job intended. I cant see a pickup truck moving a wing plow and a front plow with anything more than an inch or two of light snow. That wing will keep pushing the truck around in circles.

Something to think about.

In central CT all the towns have at least one wing, mounted on the largest truck they have. Its good for clearing half the road at a time, but that truck is working.
This is not intended to pick on lawnguy, or diggerman, note the dates for this thread, but I think what both Jerre and I have experienced with the Sidewing, is just the opposite a pickup can move a lot more snow with a Sidewing, It's great to see what technology, and some good design work can do to help us make more money.

Bill

Last edited by nsmilligan; 04-10-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Banned

Great to see that NS did a search and brought back an old thread. It was nice to see the old comments blend with the new thoughts.

I definately am thinking about a wing next year.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:38 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

I've been thinking along the same lines and been going to start a thread about it so glad to see this one brought back up. The question I have is - Any companies selling wings going to be at John Parker's this year? Assuming that he's going to have the meeting again this year.

John P?
Old 04-10-2003, 08:48 PM

Mick, Don't know about making it to John Parker's but I know that Sidewing will be at the SIMA show in Buffalo. I'd love to get out to John's but think that will be a few years down the road. The fall is a busy place at a snowplow shop.

Jerre

p.s. Bill you must have had some extra time on your hands to dig up that thread. I was laughing my head off while reading about spinning the truck in circles thinking about what it took to make my rig start to push to the side. I was going to reply to that untill I saw the dates and your post.

SIMA MEMBER SIMA.org
online questions and answers

F350 X-cab V10 W/ 810 or 8611LP BLIZZARD
Or a 7'4"-8'6" Rad Snow blower hanging out front
Old 04-10-2003, 09:00 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Jerre,i do custom dump bodies on the smaller trucks (450's,550's etc.)and i've got some guys talkin about these wings,Have you (or anyone else) mounted one on a dump body before?
These are not the all steel dump bodys,but rather custom low profile dumps,frame and headboards are steel but the rest is wood.Just wondering how to go about mounting one i guess.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 PM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick,

Not sure what part of Maine your in. However HP Fairfeild is right in Skoweghan. They are on Green street, take 201, and at the intersection right before the bridge, take a left if going north, Green street is your second street on the right after the left.

Hp Fairfield will be able to set you right up in terms of wings.

Geoff
Old 04-11-2003, 04:27 AM
PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks, Geoff. That's about half an hour north on 201. I've been hearing about HP Fairfield, just never been up there.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:27 AM
2000 Club Member

The video thelawnguy is talking about was a Nissan like he said, and it was doing 60 MPH (from the look of the video). It made it seem like if it slowed down it would spin out IMO.

As I have posted MANY times before, I had a 74 CJ5 with a 6.5' Western, that would spin the Jeep in circles all the time. I am talking about even light snowfalls. Speeding up and then dropping the blade just made me spin out faster. It would also make the Jeep slide diagonally, like the time I slid into a chain link fence and got tangled, or the time I chipped a chimney plowing a driveway.. It made me feel like a moron, because I had no control once the plow was dropped. Of course, that was back when Western liked to mount the undercarraige to the leaf springs..... I sold it after only a few months of (barely) plowing with it.

~Chuck

Smith Brothers Services, LLC
Old 04-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Banned

We put four cement blocks and two buskets of sand in my brothers CJ and it will push anything. Never have a traction problem.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:40 AM

I had a 72 CJ5 Renegade with a 6.5' Meyers manual angle

Wow I never had any problems like that.

Chuck Smith
Quote:
that would spin the Jeep in circles all the time. I am talking about even light snowfalls
I'll never forget back is 1977 we had a storm that dumped 22" in 24 hrs. & I plowed for 55 hrs with my CJ-5 with only 3 hrs. sleep.

My plow tires were 38" high x 14" wide M&S not the best to drive in snow but once the plow was down I could move mountains. Of course it helped to have a 427-- V-8 & 4.88's
Old 04-11-2003, 09:03 AM
2000 Club Member

When I bought the Jeep I talked to a friend who owned one. He said when he bought it, (new) he got it with the V-8. In the rear, he piled salt bags high enough to rest his elbow on when backing up. He said he never had a problem plowing.

When I owned the 74, a friend had an 85, with a Meyer plow, and he had no troubles at all. He had an auto trans, and a 6 cylinder. He also had a hard top, and hard doors. I even road with him once when plowing. No ballast, and he made it through the Blizzard of 96' (30").

My 74, had a manual trans, and a 4 banger. I had a soft top and soft doors. Tires were G78 - 14 (if I remember correctly). I never got stuck, or had traction problems (other than getting hooked on the fence). I think my problem was two things, not enough weight in the front or rear, and, the fact that the plow attached to the front leaf springs made steering with the plow down almost impossible.

I figured the Jeep would do OK, since I know they are great little 4wd's. My father had a 79, and it was a little tank. My friend had an 84, with 39" mudders on it, only problem he had was with the Quadra-Trac... he ran it in "Emergency" mode all the time. My other friend had the 85 with the Meyer, so I figured I'd do OK..... WRONG.

IF I was going to be doing driveways again, I would not hesitate to get another Jeep, only it would not be a 4 banger, or have a soft top It would also be a CJ, not a TJ, or a YJ. But that is my preference. Keep it simple.

Even the 85, I did a complete body swap on it in 1997 to a 91 tub, and found many different "parts". I mean the thing was a total "mutt". The on board computer was a Ford. The steering column was GM. The trans was a very expensive Pugeot. I'm sure I left a few out....

Back on the topic, I think it is great that we now have real use input, instead of just asumptions based on appearance, general experience, and opinions.

~Chuck

Smith Brothers Services, LLC
Old 04-11-2003, 12:03 PM

CT, Can you get some picts of those "buskets" it there that good I need to look into them..LOL Jerre

SIMA MEMBER SIMA.org
online questions and answers

F350 X-cab V10 W/ 810 or 8611LP BLIZZARD
Or a 7'4"-8'6" Rad Snow blower hanging out front
Old 04-11-2003, 09:25 PM

Hi:

Mick- we were at John Parker's last year, too bad about the weather! If we can, I'm sure we'll make the trip down again (weather depending of course). We will also be at SIMA and the APWA show in Quebec in April.

Chuck- it's much easier to show than to explain, but Sidewing simply doesn't spin your truck around in use (nsmilligan can for sure attest to this!). Really, to move the truck with sidewing on at all you have to run the wing into a tree or large frozen snowbank. Even then, if you lift the wing you will cut the top part of any bank off, then you can move the rest in a second pass.

The thing to remember is that a typical 3/4 ton truck with both plows on weighs 8000 pounds plus (closer to 10,000 pounds with a V-box spreader full of sand/salt). Once you get that much weight moving in a straight line at some speed, it takes a considerable amount of force to deflect the truck from it's direction.

The HP Fairfield and other wings (Cote, Everest, etc) all work, and have long since proved that a 1-ton truck can push snow with a wing. What they also do, unfortunately, is throw all the weight of 2 plows plus mounts, etc on the front axle. This is too much for 1-ton trucks, causing excessive amounts of maintenance, and these days is sure to get you in trouble with the local law enforcement guys for exceeding your axle weights.

Sidewing just adapts a proven idea (wings) to the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks that are most commonly used.

I hope this helps. You can always email us for our video, should which might answer some of the questions anyways.

Thanks!

Reg