Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 AM

Diamond plows any good?

are Diamond plows any good? i was looking at a used truck that has one on it.does meyer make this plow or is there a company called Diamond that makes it?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 AM
2000 Club Member

Meyer bought Diamond to add a trip edge plow to their line up to compete against Fisher.
They are a different design from the Meyer full trip blade except for shared lights, and hydraulics.
Don't see many of them in this area.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:55 PM

yeah its the first time i saw one.I like fisher plows myself cause of the trip blade and they tend to be a little more heavy duty of a plow.but anyway thanks for the info on it.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:34 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Diamond is by far heavuer then Fisher and anything else for a one ton. Very heavy plow. I ran a 9ft on a 350 for street plowing and it looked new after 5 years of hard plowing. Very agressive curve, good trip edge. It was the best you could run without getting into blades made for municipalities. Diamonds were started by people who left Fisher. They made a great V-plow as well, many of the ideas have been used in Meyers new V-plow. When Fisher built there MC line it was copied off of the Diamonds. I like Fishers too but I still have that Diamond and am looking for an mid 90 Ford to remount it on.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Flipper said...Diamonds were started by people who left Fisher. I think they were the guys they fired! lol

What I didn't like about plowing with a Dimond...

Single connector to hook up

Poor connections a lot of weight hanging off of one point. I had trouble with it. Breaker would blow on the controller and light would come on. I would have to shut the truck off and re-start it to set it back. when it acted funny I would raise up and it would angle left..

You had to take the jack off and move it under the plow when you to took the plow off. And hand crank it.. what a PIA

What I liked about it.

Color coded Pin handles

Lights

Price

Conclusion: I'll never plow with one again..
2005 GMC SLT Ext Cab 2500HD Duramax/Allison,Onstar,XM, GM TNR Navigation radio, Line-x, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit, Bullydog PMT, Silverline 4" Dual Exhaust, 315's on Chrome H2's, 285 BFG's on PYO's, 3500srw steel winter rims, Timbrens, 8'-Fisher X-Blade, Denali Headlights & 4 headlight Mod w/ fogs & Silverstars. 4X4 dash light mod.

Toys:
"1968 & 9 24" Ariens Snowblowers" "Harley Davidson-FLHRCI"
"1968 Camaro RS Conv. 327 4speed" "2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6.2 6speed" "John Deere GT235E 54" Deck
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Those are the newer Diamonds made by Meyer. The older ones were just like Fisher conventional plows. They even would hook into Fishers frames. The ran off belt drive hydraulics, the same as Fisher and again the parts interchaged.

I know one of the people who originally started Diamond. When one was fired a few others left to start Diamond.

The only part of Diamond that remains is the heavy trip edge plow. If you can put up with the Meyer stuff it is still the Heaviest plow you can get. If it is an older model you can't go wrong.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 AM

I dont really like the Meyer Snow Plows because there not built well. I prefer fisher because they are built much heavier. I have a fisher minute mount on a GMC pick up and thats lasted 3 years of heavy plow without a problem.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM

I run a newer Diamond 8' with the EZ-Mount Plus system on my F-250. I've plowed roads municipally for the past three years with it and have not had any problems. The plow is heavy, well built and well finished. Keep it greased and hosed off and it should last forever.

2002 Ford F-250 w/ 8' Diamond
KB1GXW on 2m or 70cm
And a bunch of towboats
Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM

As you might be able to tell I'm biased by Diamond Plows

To clear up some of the mis info out there,

Diamond plows are not heavier than a Fisher when comparing competing models,

Diamond plows are no longer run by under the hood pumps and yes they are owned by Meyer Products.

As basher had said they use Meyer Lighting, Wiring and Pump systems along with the MDII / plus mounting systems.

They are definately a rugged blade, as well built as a Fisher, They have adjustable spring tension where Fishers do not, this allows for a much smoother trip action, not as harsh as a Fisher. The attack angle is also much more versatile, provides good back dragging as well as good sno flow and ice peeling capabilities.

Utilization of the MD Mounting system allows for easier and less costly transfering from one brand of truck to another when upfitting , $450-$600 vs $1200+ on a Fisher.

The Jacking method of the MDII system is much easier to adjust when pulling up to than a MMI or MMII especially when utilizing different trucks.

I have found in most regions of the country, Meyer has a better network of dealers and overall better source of replacement parts.

The guy's who started Fisher were not fired , they left because Fisher would not pay for their designs and trademarks that were used in Fisher plows, In the end Fisher paid for most of the start up for the Diamond plow company in a settlement agreement for trademark and pattern infrindgement, Selling Diamond plows to Meyer was just the last "Get Back at You" towards The Fisher group.

IMHO The New Meyer Saber II lights are far better than the new intensifiers from DD, you need to plow with both lighting systems to see and believe the difference.

All in all, I think Fisher and Diamond/ Meyers make good products, I have owned and used both, each one has advantages in one area vs another, but both are good plows, it's like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument, there are no clear winners just plenty of opinions, and we all know what they are like........A$$ Wholes and everyone has one! lol
Old 02-07-2009, 02:53 PM

Good plows wouldn't own anything else. Especially a red one.
2004 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 CA SO 48re 4.10s H2s & 315's, Leveled, Diamond 8.5' plow, Quad Race, Van Aaken 3.2, Isspro gauges overhead, Kitty MIA, 4" Aeroturbine 4040 exhaust, Mac cold air intake, Smittybuilt Platinum nerf bars, Mopar bug shield & bed liner, Husky liners, Bed rail caps, Delta truck box
Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman20 View Post
I dont really like the Meyer Snow Plows because there not built well. I prefer fisher because they are built much heavier. I have a fisher minute mount on a GMC pick up and thats lasted 3 years of heavy plow without a problem.
Great first post in a Meyer forum
BTW, it's great that your Fisher has lasted for 3 years, we won't tell all the guys that are still running 20 and 30 year old Meyer plows
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Are Diamonds good

The older Diamonds (prior to 2009) are by far the toughest plow ever made for 3/4 - 1ton trucks. They have more steel and better torsional rigidity than any other manufacturer. The only downfall is the Meyer pump system which has been plauged with problems.

In the past yr Meyer has redisigned the Daimond plow and it is no longer as robust as before. Meyer has reduced the amount of torsional strength and the moldboard is now 12ga not the 11ga they had before. Meyer reps insist testing on the new Daimond has not had failures, but I an VERY skepticle. Comparing the two side by side will clearly show how 'weak' the new Diamond is compared to the old style. As any plower knows this business is demanding and any weak links will show at 2am. I'm not willing to spend my dollars on equipment that I believe will not perform under demanding conditions.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Old thread..
I have a 2004 maybe diamond MDII...The best piece of machinery I have ever owned..
Just goes and goes and goes..Can't bend it or break it..Electrics are great..
The only thing I did was to get rid of those pesky quick release connectors on the hyd hoses.. No one should ever have those POS connectors as they fail and cause really weird symptoms. I use it on my F350 SD..

Had an old Meyer on a toyota truck way back..It was the biggest POS on the planet.
Everything bent and broke..I rebuilt it with lotsa metal and it worked well but just about redesigned the whole thing..
Diamond MDII Plow
sno way vbox elec,Timbrens
200 amp alt. 2)24" led bars 2 par 36 bkup led's
Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

We have a 2000 9' Diamond on a F350 (2wd) and it just keeps on piling the snow. Strong, sturdy, good plow.