Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Wheel Loader Plows??

Hi Everybody. Im new to this site, but have been moving snow pretty much sence I could walk. What Im wondering about is if anybody has a blade on the front of a wheel loader instead of a bucket. We've been pondering on the idea of getting one for one of the loaders. I found something I like, but when I saw the price on it, I changed my mind on that one. I guess right now im thinking about something like a 12' straight blade. I know nothing about them, but I think they would be nice for large parking lots. If anybody has any info for me, I would appreciate it. Heres a link to that expensive one I was looking at
Thanks
Nick

http://www.degelman.com/Products/ice...photo.html#top
Old 09-22-2006, 05:10 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, we have one with a Daniels and 3 with ProTech snow pushers. Many are using the Daniels Wing plow because they can be folded for transport and be road legal. Do a search on either topic and you will find a bunch of worthwhile reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neige View Post
Professionally speaking I think its unprofessional to say its unprofessional if you dont professionally clear snow like a professional.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

www.snopusher.com Protec makes the best snow pushers. I love mine.

"PIMP" Plower In Management Postion

Western snow plow repair tech

We buy sell and traded used snow plows
Old 09-22-2006, 10:16 PM

I'v looked at the pushers also, and I think that one of those would be nice also, but I guess im wondering more about just stright plows.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know of anyone around here using just a push blade on a loader. It's just not an economical way to utilize such a large machine. With a straight blade a loader could do no more than a 1 ton or a 2 ton truck. With a box the same loader could literally push TONS of snow with little to no trail off. Plus, a straight blade large enough to mount on a reasonable size loader will probably cost MORE to purchase than a 12' pusher box yet the pusher box can do so much more. It can obviously push snow but can also stack snow very high. It takes longer to stack snow as high with a straight blade.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:00 AM
PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure what you are saying, PLow Meister. Are you referring to a straight plow blade not being effective on a loader or a pusher box?

Either way, they both have their place in snow removal. Pusher boxes can move huge amounts of material with little runoff\trails. A straight plow blade is awesome for lots where the snow can be windrowed just like a truck. And if you get that much snow that you can't windrow, then all you have to do is bulldoze. At 16-20', it really doesn't matter about the trails, because they are easily taken care of.

Quote:
Professionally speaking I think its unprofessional to say its unprofessional if you dont professionally clear snow like a professional.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

What I'm saying is it is definitely possible to install a straight blade on a loader, it's simply impractical. You can accomplish WAY more with a box blade than a straight blade when installed on a typical loader.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM

Thats what I am talking about, We have a few very large parking lots that It would be nice to be able to windrow with the loader. What I really want is a blade with wings on it so I can push without a trail also. But im sure I'll just be bolting up the 3 piece bucket here pretty soon and using that agian.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plow Meister
What I'm saying is it is definitely possible to install a straight blade on a loader, it's simply impractical. You can accomplish WAY more with a box blade than a straight blade when installed on a typical loader.
No, not necessarily. It isn't impractical or Daniel's wouldn't still be making them as well as other manufacturers making similar products. In some applications, they are more productive than a pusher box\containment plow, it all depends on what you need to plow. I have one Daniel's so I am speaking from experience. I also have 4 ProTech's and several subs with ProTechs, so I know from experience what each can do, not from what I see around town.

I forgot to mention it in my other post, but straight blade can stack almost as good as a pusher box. It is correct that a straight blade is more expensive to purchase, but it is also more versatile.

4X4Farmer, if you do not have to carry snow because you are able to windrow it to the side for the most part, a straight blade will work fine. A 16-20' will replace 3 trucks and the operators. There are some manufacturers that are making straight blades with hydraulic wings so you have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2006, 02:18 PM

That Daniels wing plow I think looks like a pretty slick deal. They even had a little video on there web site. Im thinking im gonna have to give them a call on monday. Thanks for all your help on this.

Nick
Old 09-29-2006, 12:09 AM

www.arcticsnowandice.com. Sectional Plow. I drive one of there wheel loaders with this on it and it is absolutely amazing for pushing. great features to it. check them out. Tell them that Sean Hughes from the Lemont Loader sent you.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:31 PM

I use a 10' Henke Power Angle plow on a John Deere 344H Loader. I also have a 4 yard snow bucket the 2 yard bucket that the machine comes with and a protec snow pusher. The machine has a JRB quick coupler. If I did not have this plow the machine would sit during the storm doing nothing until it was time to do snow removal in the student parking lots which is usually the following afternoon after a storm. So with the plow the machine goes into service and works on roads. In large storms it can run down the edges of the road and push back windrows that the trucks can't touch. You can see a pic here.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...ghlight=gordyo

We, the unwilling led by the unqualified, have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt the impossible with nothing...

Last edited by gordyo; 09-29-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
With a straight blade a loader could do no more than a 1 ton or a 2 ton truck.
I beg to differ, while your backing up in your truck for your next pass, I am turning in a tight circle and pushing snow back the other way.

But I do suppose that you did make the statement that you did not know of anyone using "just a blade" and since I use a blade, 4 yard bucket, 2 yard bucket and a snow pusher, I guess you are right.

We, the unwilling led by the unqualified, have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt the impossible with nothing...

Last edited by gordyo; 09-29-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:36 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyo
I beg to differ, while your backing up in your truck for your next pass, I am turning in a tight circle and pushing snow back the other way.

But I do suppose that you did make the statement that you did not know of anyone using "just a blade" and since I use a blade, 4 yard bucket, 2 yard bucket and a snow pusher, I guess you are right.
Who'se to say I can't turn my truck around just like your loader with a blade? There's not always a need to back up and keep plowing in the same direction.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 AM

I beg to differ. While you fools are still agruing, I can come in there with a 200hp farm tractor and hydra fold blade/pusher. Pay a farm boy $10 an hour to drive the thing knowing he won't wreck it. All this while not making rediculous payments on the thing and being covered by my ag insurance. Fold the blade in and drive to the next account. And if I want to buy 2, the govn't will subsdidize it.

If we just used the whatever did the fastest, best job all the time. We wouldn't use trucks, or loaders, etc... We would probably just charge them to install pavement heaters and melt the snow away.

You have to use what is best and most economical for you. Sometimes a loader will make a job a breeze, but not everybody has access to a loader. And some sites would make your loader driver cringe.

If you can make more money with a shovel and a bucket of rock salt, do it. That's why we do this last time I checked, to make money.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 AM

As for loader blades.

I sell blades from Horst Welding for all the tractors I carry.

We carry 3 types.

Straight Push. These are you typical push boxes. 10' is around $4700, 16' - $8000

Straight Blades. These are similar to your Western, etc... and available with hyraulic or manual end plates to convert to pusher.

Hydrafold/Push box - These are straight blades with hydraulic end pieces to convert to a push box. But the entire blade is also hydraulic and narrows to the legal road width.

a 9' that expands to 14' is $16,000
a 12' that expands to 20' is $17,000 (all these are CDN pricing)

I'm not trying to sell you these as I'm in a different country, just give you an idea on price. They are expensive. However, if you live in a good snow area, your blade will easily cover its expense in 2 years. And then the bucket on the loader should cover your loader cost doing removal, etc...
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike
I beg to differ. While you fools are still agruing, I can come in there with a 200hp farm tractor and hydra fold blade/pusher. Pay a farm boy $10 an hour to drive the thing knowing he won't wreck it. All this while not making rediculous payments on the thing and being covered by my ag insurance. Fold the blade in and drive to the next account. And if I want to buy 2, the govn't will subsdidize it.

If we just used the whatever did the fastest, best job all the time. We wouldn't use trucks, or loaders, etc... We would probably just charge them to install pavement heaters and melt the snow away.

You have to use what is best and most economical for you. Sometimes a loader will make a job a breeze, but not everybody has access to a loader. And some sites would make your loader driver cringe.

If you can make more money with a shovel and a bucket of rock salt, do it. That's why we do this last time I checked, to make money.
Mike, we're not arguing. We're discussing. I feel we are all open-minded here. I never said it was rediculously stupid to put a straight blade on a loader. It just wasn't a practical idea. But hey, if you already own a tractor and want to spend $16K on a blade / pusher than go for it. Most people here don't even spend that kind of $$ on their entire set-up. I'm sure it will do a fantastic job.

And hey, do me a favor and wath the name calling. It's really not appropriate here.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:37 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
I never said it was rediculously stupid to put a straight blade on a loader. It just wasn't a practical idea.
But you did state it was impractical while not knowing anybody that uses one. How can you make that statement without any knowledge of the subject? Like Jeff and I stated, they are extremely practical and will do a fantastic job of pushing snow, with a straight blade or pusher. This is coming from first-hand experience.

A loader can out turn a truck very easily, making it possible to turn around easier and push both ways. My JCB 212 can turn tighter than a Jeep with the 4 wheel steer but have a 14' blade on the front. Trying pushing 14' of snow with a 1 ton.

Mike, I agree with you about the tractors, there just aren't as many around me as in other areas. The only time I would say that they are better than a farm tractor is stacking ability.

Quote:

Last edited by Mark Oomkes; 09-30-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:17 PM

have to admit i plow with a backhoe and a 12' craig blade and love it,it'll out do any truck and i love the added power,its no loader but it does the job.

also horst welding make an amazing plow,i was looking at one for a joke at the john deere dealer here and liked what i saw,very nice well built plow.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray83
have to admit i plow with a backhoe and a 12' craig blade and love it,it'll out do any truck and i love the added power,its no loader but it does the job.

also horst welding make an amazing plow,i was looking at one for a joke at the john deere dealer here and liked what i saw,very nice well built plow.

Yes, they are fantastic. And very heavily built.

When it comes to tractors and loaders, the heavier the better. The scrape better, push harder and last longer.

I wish they would make a blade to fit my truck