Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Alternate Blizzard Hydraulic Oil

Anyone know of an alternate oil that can be used? Nearest Blizzard dealer is a bit of a journey and I didn't know if there was an alternative that wouldn't foul the system with an incompatible oil. I know there are all sorts of "additives and enhancements" to particular oils, but again, didn't want to foul my new plow.

Thanks, Ed
Old 11-15-2005, 11:53 AM

I was told by blizzard that any plow brand fluid will be fine and is compatable.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Blizzard oil

Thanks Joe.

That's what'll keep handy if needed.

Ed
Old 11-16-2005, 08:47 AM

I think it is best to use the manufactures brand, but I would agree that any HIGH QUALITY plow oil should be fine.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:13 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

my Blizzard manual says automatic transmission fluid.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdan
my Blizzard manual says automatic transmission fluid.
I am looking in my manual and i don't see anything about atf.It does say do not mix different types of fluid.Also what i don't understand is why you would want to use a different fluid?You only have to change the fluid once a year,order it online and have it sent to your house.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 PM
2000 Club Member

you can buy hyd fluid, get a fluid like aw 32 hyd fluid and it won't freeze..

you can get it any where they sell heavy equipment, truck stops, northern tool, large lumber stores etc etc..

AFT gets thick when it's cold and will clog the filter when the temps fall.(starving your pump)
I have noticed that when some one has used AFT and there servicing there plow the filter it covered with a whitish Gooo and after they change to aw 32 or use boss hyd fluid there is no longer a White goo it the filter.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:56 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer
you can buy hyd fluid, get a fluid like aw 32 hyd fluid and it won't freeze..

you can get it any where they sell heavy equipment, truck stops, northern tool, large lumber stores etc etc..

AFT gets thick when it's cold and will clog the filter when the temps fall.(starving your pump)
I have noticed that when some one has used AFT and there servicing there plow the filter it covered with a whitish Gooo and after they change to aw 32 or use boss hyd fluid there is no longer a White goo it the filter.
The whitish goo is an indicator of water present. I have used ATF as well as hydraulic oil, and I have mixed them by accident, and I have never had a hydraulic failure on a plow. I only posted the part about my manual because I just read it and I was surprised they said ATF, instead of their own relabeled hydraulic oil. Maybe when my manual was printed they hadnt started selling it yet. I disagree with the ATF gets thick when its cold statement. ATF is 5 weight, same as most cold viscosity on engine oils. Certainly not too thick for auto trans and transfer cases, maybe if you get below -30 or so, but then everything is going to give you trouble. And once you start working it it will warm up enough to function well, as long as it is circulating.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:56 AM

I ran into this last weekend when all the autoparts stores were closed (and don't even imagine the Blizzard dealer would consider opening up). I went to the local Chevron distributor and bought a gallon of aircraft hydraulic fluid for $24.50. It says on the can it's good to -80 degrees. So far--so good, it's working fine. And I did mix it with what little was left of the Blizzard oil which was against what it said in the manual to do.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 AM
2000 Club Member

Detroitdan< I would agree with you if it was winter (cold outside) but, I service my plows in the summer and the water should have melted by then. LoL I still had goo, so I drained and flushed the system and changed fluid. Just relaying what happend to me.