Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 10-21-2004, 08:58 AM

Plow Insurance + NJ = Ridiculous

Just got off the phone with my regular auto carrier and they said they will not cover the truck with a plow on it. The rep told me if I wanted coverage for a plow I would have to re-register my truck for commmercial use and get commercial auto ins. and the premium would probably negate any money I made.

WTF!

Do any of you guys in this area recommend a carrier? Is this true (the whole commercial use thing?)

It's a sad day when average Joe can't try and make a few extra beans to support his family without worrying about losing everything he has to some ambulance chaser.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
2000 Club Member

Last year I had a new broker. He bought a new truck and plow. Just because he had a 2500 series the phoned him and said they wanted to see the truck. When they saw the plow harness they doubled his insurance. I know we live north of the border but insurance is nuts now.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:00 AM

we used selective for years. about two years ago we switched to Preserver Insurance Co. they beat Selectives prices by a few grand and we've had no problems with them.... Give them a call they are in North Jersey somewhere....
Old 10-21-2004, 07:24 PM

Ummm it is called "being legitimate" Charge for a service using your vehicle, means "commercial insurance"...
Old 10-22-2004, 12:56 PM

Don't want to sound like a J/O. But if that was the case, almost every truck on the road in NJ would have commercial tags.....

...thanks for letting me know how it is in Colorado though.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:14 PM

Try Erie Insurance, I'm not sure they write in NJ but it is worth a try. I am not a fan of insurance cos, but we are out in difficult conditions with a giant piece of steel on the front of our trucks. Also, a minority of snow removal people are irresponsible in that they work too many hours without enough rest and few Cowboys have done enough damage that snow plowing may appear risky from an accutarial standpoint, losses related to snow removal. I believe that the majority of people who move snow are experienced operators who are far safer than the average person, who should stay off the road during periods of difficult weather.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:58 PM

I hate paying insurance companies too.

1) I want them to pay for a loss when it happens

2) Anyone who doesn't get the "proper" insurance runs the chance of not covering a loss. I.E. you hit someone in a parking lot or driveway and they don't pay..... Why even bother having insurance?

3) Almost every legitmate customer of mine requires I provide a certificate of insurance.

4) Colorado is more lax than NJ... trust me I know.... I grew up in Fairfield County, CT.

Just not worth the risk.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:36 PM

I got one for you guys, my agent told me, (I have regular auto ins. NOT commercial) "the first time you file a claim they WILL pay it, ignornace is bliss, but you do have an argument, the next time they will not cover it." Go figure that one out! If you say you were driving to Granny's house to do her drive they will cover the other vehicle and your vehilce, but not your plow. If you are in a lot plowing................how were yuo supposed to know, it doesn't say anything in your policy? But to let you guys know I have way too much work now and the first snow I will probably get commercial just to be safe, a gross liabilty policy is a must!

Dan
Old 10-23-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker
Ummm it is called "being legitimate" Charge for a service using your vehicle, means "commercial insurance"...

thats how i see it. overhead is overhead. you can still make the same amount of money, your just going to have to raise rates or get more work to cover your overhead. sure it sucks that these insurance companies are raping everybody, but one accident or false move and youll be screwed if your not covered properly. as i say, better safe than sorry.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:01 PM

Insurance is legalized price "redlining"

Now if it's illegal for say the utility/cable company to raise the rates for an area of homes and not everyone else because they have to try to collect on more non-paying customers,why is it legal for an isurance company to say this state/county/town and or zip code has to pay more than someone else?They can make rules and you are stuck paying for everyones else's accidents claims ect.For example,my step daughter is getting her license and will have her own car,insurance policy ect,but MY premium will still go up because she will be an inexperienced driver that lives with me and my use my vehicles?That is what i was told by my company.I then immediatly replied,that she has her own vehicle and coverage,she will NEVER drive my vehicles(and sorry to be the ugly stepdad but NONE of my kids will drive my vehicles).and she is already paying a higher premium because she's a new driver so they collect on my policy too?isn't that double dipping?I have never filed a claim and My and the wife's license's are clean so why do i have to pay extra?Like i said they can discriminate against your state,county ect AND make everyone within a house pay extra for new drivers?Yeah i love the legalized monopoly game.I would absolutly love to get a rebate at the end of the year for all of the years i have been paying and never had a claim.Sorry if i offended anyone.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Sorry guys but don't want to sound sour but the law does read in NJ if you want to have liability insurance for plowing in NJ you have to register your truck commercial thats the law it is so not every person can say they have a real business. So real contractors don't get hacked by someone who slaps a plow on his truck and says he is a plow contractor. Most business in NJ do ask for a certificate to protect them self. We check any subs out even if we get their insurance to make sure it is valid.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Brenry, this thread hasn't been active in over 7 years... good info, just a little late

We offer 3 kinds of service; Fast, Good and Cheap.
You can pick any 2;

If you want it done Fast & Cheap - it will not be Good!

If you want it done Cheap & Good - it will not be Fast!

If you want it done Good & Fast - it will not be Cheap!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Sorry bud, this thread hasnt been active in over 7 years, I think you might be a little late...

We offer 3 kinds of service; Fast, Good and Cheap.
You can pick any 2;

If you want it done Fast & Cheap - it will not be Good!

If you want it done Cheap & Good - it will not be Fast!

If you want it done Good & Fast - it will not be Cheap!