Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Best Practices for Plowing Gravel Roads

Hello, I am the president of our Home Owners Association. We are in a rural area, and there are limited services available. We have a gentleman remove the snow on our gravel roads. We do not have much snow, about 10 to 30 inches each season. The members of the HOA complain as he removes all the gravel off the road every winter. I have tried to find out what are the best practices for plowing gravel.
Firstly, Is it reasonable for the members to expect most of the gravel to be kept in tact each winter?
I have read mixed information about using skid shoes. Some professionals seem to use them and others don't bother.
What about 2" pipe?
What steps should our handyman be taking to preserve the gravel?
Thank You
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

You can use cut a slit in a pipe and side it over the cutting edge like you mentioned, or you could use a rubber/urethane cutting edge and last, you let the snow build up into ice and then plow. either way there is going to be some gravel moved scraped off to the sides.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 PM
2000 Club Member

Let the snow build up the first snow or two.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM

I use a pipe. It cuts down on the gravel displacement.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:34 PM

In over 30 years of plowing, there is no easy answer for the gravel question. Grading, the condition of the road, the changes in conditions of the storms, and the rises and drops in the driveway will all affect the amount of material that is displaced by a plow. It seems that there is a significant amount of gravel plowed up, but often the action of settling, erosion and the effects of puddling are as much at fault as the plow operator.
Key is to hire an experienced plow operator, and put it in the hands of a pro
2013 Fuso FG Fisher 9'6" Stainless V
Walker mower with hydraulic 42" snowblower
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Be Carefull

Gravel drives are tough! Especially if there NOT Frozen. Know matter what you will loose gravel. Take there time, shoes and or pipe on cutting edge does help. BUT you will allways loose gravel unless its icy frozen over. Gravel parking lots are real fun to! York rake the gravel back every spring or when ever. I do lots of gravel drives, and there NO Fun. BUT its Work
Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Without a freeze there is no way the gravel won't be displaced, even if the blade never touches the road the gravel will be picked up by the snow rolling off the plow...I use the 1 down, 2 up rule, drop the plow and give it 2 quick clicks up to raise it up an inch or so and run the roads that way. Key is to make sure everyone knows that they shouldn't expect the roads to be scraped all the way down, that's the sacrifice made to limiting damage to the gravel

02 Ford F550 Dump 9.5' Fisher V, Hiniker Sander
01 Chevy 2500 8' Fisher
98 Chevy 2500 8' Meyer, Snow Ex Sander
99 Ford F250 9.5' Fisher V, Hiniker Sander
05 Chevy 1500
00 New Holland LS170 Arctic Pusher
Toro and Ariens Snowblowers
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 AM

It works

Ya I do that too.
And if these people would buy at least tires with tread on them let alone the thought of snow tires then we could leave an inch or two on the gravel rd instead of having to scrape everything to the Bone.
I am feeling Less and LESS guilty about snow plowing and after care of properties for clients.
JUST because SOMEBODIES has to do it.
why not one of us? Ya it cost to plow! AND yes it cost to clean up stuff in the Spring! We did NOT buy the properties, We just get hired to clear them.
Why does everybody beat up on plow drivers? They ought to get out there and try it them selves, see how much fun we have clearing the GENERAL Publics drives and lots.
YES gravel moves with snow!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 AM

7' wide snowblower on a tractor. Set the shoes so the intake is 1" above the dirt.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 AM

blacktop the roads... done

1996 F150 Flatbed Dump
Ford 10.25 Rear
Dana 44 HD Solid Front
Leaf Springs all around
8 lugs with 4.10's
8 Foot Uni-mount

1992 F-SuperDuty
Future... Unknown

2006 Suzuki King Quad
Cycle Country blade
Homemade Mount

Bunch of other crap!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak View Post
Hello, I am the president of our Home Owners Association. We are in a rural area, and there are limited services available. We have a gentleman remove the snow on our gravel roads. We do not have much snow, about 10 to 30 inches each season. The members of the HOA complain as he removes all the gravel off the road every winter. I have tried to find out what are the best practices for plowing gravel.
Firstly, Is it reasonable for the members to expect most of the gravel to be kept in tact each winter?
I have read mixed information about using skid shoes. Some professionals seem to use them and others don't bother.
What about 2" pipe?
Thank You
I plow a county road in my area and I use my shoes set at 1/2"-3/4". You could try a pipe if that plow never touches pavement or parking lots.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak View Post
What about 2" pipe?
Thank You
If we only got 10-30 inches per season, I wouldn't even bother plowing it. Now when you start getting up into 10-30 inches PER STORM, then you need plowing.

The trick to gravel, is not to start plowing too soon. The first storm or two needs to be BEAT DOWN INTO THE ROAD, creating a hard ICE BASE. Once you have your ice base, then you start plowing, and the plow won't reach the gravel.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonv View Post
If we only got 10-30 inches per season, I wouldn't even bother plowing it. Now when you start getting up into 10-30 inches PER STORM, then you need plowing.

The trick to gravel, is not to start plowing too soon. The first storm or two needs to be BEAT DOWN INTO THE ROAD, creating a hard ICE BASE. Once you have your ice base, then you start plowing, and the plow won't reach the gravel.

That is true for the Great White North. I am in Montana and we just had a high of 54 on the 19th. That frozen base is gone, back to dry gravel.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM

If your are from Great Cacapone W. Va. I dont think its ever going to get cold enough for the frost to set into the road and stay between snow events. In the early spring and fall I use a pipe and the old meyer style skid shoes. These are way better than the newer disc type shoes. You will still lose some gravel but not nearly as much.

Another thought is dont plow. If the snow is gonna melt in a day or two why bother?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM

I will sometimes back drag gravel when it is not frozen in or packed in.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM

I'll second the no plowing idea. Just like Jakedaawg said you will never build the ice pack. Heck I'm in NH and the one gravel drive I plow loses it's icepack 3 or 4 times a season. I set a 4 inch trigger with them otherwise it's not worth showing up and all I do is make a total mess. The homeowner will drive his car up and down the driveway a number of times to pack it down. It's been a very cold winter here and they still do not have a sufficient icepack to run the plow right on the gravel.

Save money! Don't plow!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
2000 Club Member

I have a dirt town road I plow with a wheeler. I just pick the plow up off the surface of the road a little and it works good for me. I also try not to put much sand on it if I don't have to. To much sand and salt will turn it right to mud.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Fun bumpty bump

Yup sounds like you all have done this once! Ya I try not to put to much salt down for several reasons, mostly cause it seeps down in and then mudd. I do a couple of gravel drives on hillsides that,,, WELL a challange with or with out chains is a understatement. You know hair pin turns on great angles along with the steepness, HELL a fun drive in the rain, just scary in the snow! I got the new cooper discover snow tires and there the best snow tire yet, only had to use chains in the ice storm to get around the idiots, so as not to have an accident, besides that like the last 48 hrs no chains and 80% of the time in 2wd. What sucked is that the ground was not frozen and if you go off any where its mudd, luckly it was powdery and the gravel didnt stick to the snow, to much. Looks like you have all the answers to gravel you'll need, good luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

NEVER put salt on a gravel road/driveway, NEVER EVER

I did 2 farm lanes today. Both gravel. The one had 2ft drifts in a couple places. I knocked them down and then back dragged with the weight of the blade and they both came out smooth with a nice 2in layer. Nothing more is needed other then driving on it.

And yes, gravel WILL get picked up by the snow being pushed no matter what you do. It's all part of physics. Just like you wouldn't think water would carry a heavy rock the size of a basketball onto the road from a heavy rain, but it can. LOL
Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NY View Post
I will sometimes back drag gravel when it is not frozen in or packed in.
I do the same thing, during a storm the first hit i back drag then the rest of the hits i do the drop up up method