Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 PM

First Look at Boss ATV Plows

Well we got a special delivery last week. First was 2 new quads that we got for a steal! They're 2013 Honda Rancher TRX's. We also have 4 2007 Honda Ranchers.

Next was these nice boxes.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Which contained...

We're working with Boss to develop the undercarriages for the Honda Ranchers. They currently have 1 of our 2013's and 1 of our 2007's to design them. We should have them back in a few days. So for now I got the other quads wired up with the controllers and plow connections.

Assembly of the plows themselves are very easy. Wiring is taking me about 3 hours per quad, but that's with me being picky and anal making sure everything is overkill. Only problem we've had so far is that the power connection from the plow to the battery is 5' too short. Nothing a little trip to the auto parts store didn't fix though. Overall they're easy to wire up and Boss gives you everything you need. I might have to kick a guy off our side walk crew one night so I can try them out There's a couple things we want to modify/add to them (like fabricating some curb guards), so that will be a project when we slow down a little bit. That's it for now!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Real nice, want one but want to wait till they get used and tested. If you don't mind, how much for each one?
Have a completed pic of the plows?
thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durafish View Post
Real nice, want one but want to wait till they get used and tested. If you don't mind, how much for each one?
Have a completed pic of the plows?
thanks
Ball park range is about $2,000. I don't have pictures of the completed plows. If time allows I will grab some more pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by DaveCN5; 11-18-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Not bad considering its a real plow. The getting off and angling it is getting old and the winch cable breaking might really sell me on this plow.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Not bad considering its a real plow. The getting off and angling it is getting old and the winch cable breaking might really sell me on this plow.
That is exactly the reason we got these. We were running 50" Swisher's. We started four years ago with the hand lifts, but for our side walk guys who were on the quads all night long, it was causing their arms to get so worn out that they weren't able to finish out the night. So then we bought winches to raise/lower them. It worked better, but they were still spending a lot of time getting on and off the machine to manually angle the blade. And with only a 50" blade, it was requiring them to make 2 passes on some side walks.

Boss solved all of that. We are a little worried about the electrical system on the quads and the plows being run for 6 hours straight, but we figured it's worth it, even if we have to add another battery to beef up the electrical system if we have to. We're excited about them!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

When you get the mounts and have some time to take pic, please do. I have a older rancher 04 and I know they won't make mounts but I'm sure they can't be hard to customize and mount to the atv.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
When you get the mounts and have some time to take pic, please do. I have a older rancher 04 and I know they won't make mounts but I'm sure they can't be hard to customize and mount to the atv.
The tech at Boss that we are working with to get the mounts designed and made told us when we dropped the quads off that all the mounts are pretty similar and somewhat universal. I will make sure to take plenty of pictures after we get them back. I know there's quite a few guys on here who have Rancher's that are interested. I will try and remember to take some pictures of the mounts before I install them and while I install them too.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 AM

Very nice! I just brought mine home with my new polaris. Very stout setup, not your typical atv plow.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlandscaper View Post
Very nice! I just brought mine home with my new polaris. Very stout setup, not your typical atv plow.
Agreed! They are definitely in a league of their own.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM

One thing I will have to ask is if there will be good down pressure on the wet heavy stuff. That was the only thing that kinda got me going is the plow just bouncing up over that compacted slush sometimes. Let us know how they work! I will be watching this thread like a hawk!
Honda Rincon for Sidewalks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb maine View Post
that pusher is huge, that would make a sweet bunker for a snowball fight....
Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Here's some pictures of the assembled plow.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Today we got the '07 Honda Rancher back from Boss. I didn't work on it at all today because with the severe storms that went through Sunday night, we have been without power at the shop for the last 3 days and running off of the generator. But it's extremely loud, so I lost the will to work today and ended up going out and helping with fall clean ups instead. I'm hoping we get power restored tonight and I will get the 2 '07 quads wired and plows mounted tomorrow.

I asked them to not paint the mount so you guys can see what kind of modifications they did to it. Overall, anyone that is confident in their welding skills and has some basic fabricating skills (which I assume is 90% of the people on here) can make an older Rancher undercarriage quite easily! On to the pictures!

They started with an undercarriage for a 09+ Polaris Sportsman 550/850

Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

nice looks simple enough, that frame looks to be the same as the 04's. the salt really got that, huh? Mine has almost 3000 miles and over 1000 hours and plowing since new but not where salt is used and looks like new. Crazy what salt does.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 PM

That's it for now! Going to pull the mount off tomorrow and paint it while I get the 1 '07 quad that is wired hooked up, fill up the hydraulic fluid and give her a test. I'm most likely going to hook up a volt meter to it and continually move the plow for a while to see if I get any voltage drop over time to see how hard it is on the electrical system. That is my only real concern about these. I'm also toying with the idea of using a Scag weight bar and weights from a Scag Cheetah to mount to the quad some how as ballast. We'll see what happens with that.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Hey Dave. I was looking online today for a plow system for my Dad for Christmas. I stumbled on The Boss ATV plow system. Doing a little further search I found this forum. I see where you have been working with Boss tech people regarding Honda mounts. Do you have any idea when they may have a mount system for an 03 or 04 Honda Rubicon? (I cant remember exactly what year he has) Was looking to get this system for him if it will be available for that model ATV. I also have a question about the attaching on and off of the plow itself. Is that an easy operation and does the frame mount affect any riding functionality of the ATV? He is mainly a trail rider. He had a fall a couple years ago breaking both of his legs and he doesnt function on his feet very well anymore. I was wondering if this is something easy for him to handle putting on and taking off on his own and allowing him to enjoy trail riding? Thank you for your time.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCuts View Post
One thing I will have to ask is if there will be good down pressure on the wet heavy stuff. That was the only thing that kinda got me going is the plow just bouncing up over that compacted slush sometimes. Let us know how they work! I will be watching this thread like a hawk!
I'm wondering about that too. On the controller, you can't hold down pressure. If you drop the plow it's automatically in float. On the flip side, because of how sturdy these things are built, they are quit a bit heaver (175lbs) than the Swisher plows we were running.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
nice looks simple enough, that frame looks to be the same as the 04's. the salt really got that, huh? Mine has almost 3000 miles and over 1000 hours and plowing since new but not where salt is used and looks like new. Crazy what salt does.
Yeah. Salt is some rough stuff. One of the reasons that we ended up buying two new Ranchers is because when we started going through the quads a couple months ago getting ready for winter, we noticed 1 quad had some bad frame rot going on. Our plan was to buy 1 quad, but everything just lined up perfectly because the dealer was having a sale and they had just dropped the prices for the 2013's since the 14's are on their way in. They were such a good deal that we just bit the bullet and bought 2.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnese8 View Post
Hey Dave. I was looking online today for a plow system for my Dad for Christmas. I stumbled on The Boss ATV plow system. Doing a little further search I found this forum. I see where you have been working with Boss tech people regarding Honda mounts. Do you have any idea when they may have a mount system for an 03 or 04 Honda Rubicon? (I cant remember exactly what year he has) Was looking to get this system for him if it will be available for that model ATV. I also have a question about the attaching on and off of the plow itself. Is that an easy operation and does the frame mount affect any riding functionality of the ATV? He is mainly a trail rider. He had a fall a couple years ago breaking both of his legs and he doesnt function on his feet very well anymore. I was wondering if this is something easy for him to handle putting on and taking off on his own and allowing him to enjoy trail riding? Thank you for your time.

First off, welcome to the site! Unfortunately, I do not have any idea when or what quad undercarriages Boss will be releasing. I know they are working on Honda undercarriages now, but I don't know models. But it honestly wouldn't be hard to modify or have someone modify an undercarriage to work with your dad's quad. As far as mounting goes, I haven't personally done it myself yet, but it appears to be very simple. There is basically two spring loaded pins you need to put in place to secure the plow to the quad, then flip up the jack stand, plug it in and you are good to go! Honestly, knowing Boss and just by looks so far, I haven't seen an easier mounting plow. It's definitely easier than the plows we are running right now. The undercarriage only takes away 3-4" maximum from ground clearance and I doubt it will affect the handling or operation of the quad in anyway.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

They look like a really nice unit and I bet they work great but, $2,000 is more than I want to spend for an ATV plow. But, if you have the work for it I'm sure it's worth it.