Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 AM

Trying to decide on a plow for drives.

So here is the deal. I'm looking to add plowing to the list of services my company offers to add in a bit of extra income.

For the moment I'm looking at doing mostly drives and possibly some small commercial accounts.

I bought a 2000 F-250 today with an 8 foot western unimount blade with a back drag edge on it as a back up truck for 4500 bucks in fair shape with 135k on the clock and a 5.4. As a whole my company's rep has been built on reliability so not having a back up in my mind just wasn't an option.

The question lies in though what blade should I put on my other truck. I also have a 2001 F-350 SRW regular cab with a 7.3.

The options I've looked at so far include picking up a used 8 or 8.5 foot straight blade which I should be able to get in the 1500 to 2500 dollar range with a current attachment style.

A used v which I should be able to pick up in the 2500 to 3500 dollar range with a current attachment style once again.

Or buy a new snowdogg VXF 9.5' which according to the central parts website appears that I could get one delivered for $5049.

I can afford to pay cash for any of the above options and could use the write off anyway. As I said mainly looking to do drives and maybe small commercial.

The kicker is I also need to be able to do my girlfriends 3/4 mile long drive and because of the distance involved from where my account base will be it will get done after the storm which means I could be plowing a foot or more snow at a time up and down hills.

Given the description which plow would you go with.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Get a Western so you can interchange both trucks and plows.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

He'd need another Unimount to be interchangeable because I'm betting the 250 doesn't have the Ultra to Uni adapter and just has a Unimount bracket.

I'd find another Unimount, run the Ultra to Uni on the 350 and your good to go.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM

Get something newer for the 2001 something reliable. Unimounts are good for simplicity but the center hingers are weak and most ive run across are worn out. Get a v plow then next year buy something newer for the back up truck. I dont own one but im sure it makes doing long drives way easier with deep snow.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

8 1/2' vee. Anything more than that is too much for older driveways as they tend to be narrower than newer driveways.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM

As guessed I do not have the uni to ultra conversion on the plow. The plow itself is actually in pretty decent shape overall. Truck was used by an insulation company to do there own personal lot was used as a shop truck for hauling around tools and such.

I may upgrade the plow on it later but much of that will come down to the number of accounts I can get and the revenue I bring in. I absolutly hate debt do if the plowing doesn't bring in enough cash to support a second new plow I'll probably just run the old uni mount on the back up truck. On this truck I'm not terribly worried about how fast the plow comes on and off. I took it off yesterday and Ill hang it back on there in early october and barring anything unforeseen it won't be back off before april. The F-350 while not a daily driver does need a decent to attach and detach plow. Its not a daily driver but, I often need it to haul cattle to the sale barn, hay, or equipment, and I don't want to carry the plow when doing that.

At this point I am kinda leaning in the direction of getting a new snow dogg. Boss dose seem to be the industry standard but honestly the new prices are more than I'm willing to shell out at the moment and used prices on a five year old plow are really not that far off from the price of a new snow dogg.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Just got off the phone with the local dealer.

Got quoted 5100 installed plus tax for the 8.5 foot VXF. He has it in stock and a mount for the truck as well. Seems like a pretty decent price and is MUCH less than what I've been quoted on the western or boss plows I have looked into.

Think I might drop off the 01 there on monday to get the plow hung on it.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM

We all will be looking for the mandatory pictures ... LOL
www.thelettuceman.biz
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM

There will be. The install has been delayed till next week though. Hauling cattle all week and need that truck to do it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM
2000 Club Member

Get what you pay for

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM

So far I like it. Time will tell on how well it pushes.
Attached Images