Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Wing plow on f350?

I have been plowing for several years now with my 2001 F350. Last year I updated plows to a western mvp. Love it. This year I bought an aluminum flat bed for it to get rid of the deteriorating box. After a year with record snowfall, I am looking to add a side wing. I plow many country drives that are very long, some large parking lots, and next year I hope to add a subdivision with 1.5 miles of roads. Give me some feedback both positive and negative about this. Forget to mention that I have a vbox sander that I built myself on the truck. I have looked at JJAG wing and Cox Machine wings. Considering building one or buying one. Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I have done lots of research. This summer, I will be driving to Maine to have a Cox setup put on my dumptruck.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM

I Have emailed Cox and got a price from them. I am concerned that the wing will hit my mirror or interfere with visibility when it is up. I have not seen a picture of it in the transport position. Are you concerned will the added stress to the front end? What size truck are you putting it on?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Tenco wing/plow/all season body setup on a F550 and have no problems with the mirror.

I am putting it on a F350 7.3 6spd 4x4 cab and chassis. Tenco won't sell one because its a 350 The thing is that the frame on the cab and chassis is exactly the same as a 550, I have compared them. I have added 550 springs to the 350 just not swapped the axles. It should hold it fine. The Cox setup is very much like the Tenco. Of course there is added wear but it is making money.

I should say that I continue to loo for a used Tenco (or other) setup I could mount myself. but if nothing by the summer I will go with the Cox.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks for that info. I was wondering what differences there was in the frames of the 350 vs a 450 or 550. Everyone says it is ok to put one on a 550 but some say it is not a good idea on the 350. I too have put aftermarket heavy springs in the front. The truck hardly moves when I pick up my v plow now. Do you think there is a difference of truck performance with the front wing. ie... getting pushed around more because of the extra forces going the same direction as the front plow? vs the opposing forces of a mid or rear wing? I am glad you are replying. I am really interested in real life experience because everyone here is laughing at the idea because most have never heard of a wing on a smaller truck.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I know it's been mentioned before, but how does the Cox blade trip?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM

I believe they are relying on the two cushion springs on the push arms to soften any blow. Then they have shear bolts to retract further if needed. I am actually considering building one with a trip edge as well as a spring and shear bolt push arm.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

People tell me all the time, you can't run a wing on a 1-1.5ton truck it will push it all over. Then they see it work. My truck has a 9ft front blade.

I don't post videos/photos online, but I have use the one below to prove my point as well. Thats a 3500 no chains, in some scenes pushing full snow with front blade and wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze_h8mSGebk

You do need weight in the rear. We run about 1500 lbs salt, which we use on accounts. Only time, I ever had truck slide sideways was when I caught a hidden boulder.

I use it during storms to do roads and long driveways in one pass. We also use it to open a large warehouse complex, then stow it to push spots etc. After storms, we can bench back into gulleys etc to give us more room.

I tend to go pretty slow with it, so it doesn't really trip much. Usually rides over things. I have a 7ft trip edge Fisher I was going to use to make my own. I know I could do it, basically I would just copy the Tenco mount, but it's a lot of time.

I have never run a more rear mounted wing so I can't comment. I like the fact that I can look out passenger windown and the the marker on the end of the plow.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Nice vidio Thanks for sharing. That truck can move some snow. I want one now.

Dodge 1997 2500
Airflo sander electric
Fisher 8 ft

Dodge 1997 2500
Fisher 8 ft
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM

What's the price range on the Cox/Tenco setup?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM

I Live a couple of miles from Cox Machine....ANd have seen the Wing in action ... It is a great setup.... There are allot of guys that use them around here... The Cox's are a great bunch !!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM

I was told $6500 installed ready to go. I was leaning towards the jjag wing style but after seeing that video...... wow. The gears in my head are now turning.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:45 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Just to clarify that video is not me or my truck. Its pretty cool but I know nothing about the guy or the setup.

My F550, I bought used so it was already setup. I got the same price of $6500 from Cox. Like I said my decision will be made this summer based on my time etc. I don't mind spending the money, but if I assemble enough pieces to build my own, I might just do that. Either way, I will be running anoher wing by next winter.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM

I made my own
rear style using a 8' Western on a f350. Sometimes I have the wander another Times I don't. I haven't noticed much of lockout ad mine still trips like a stock Western plow.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormegfarms View Post
I Have emailed Cox and got a price from them. I am concerned that the wing will hit my mirror or interfere with visibility when it is up. I have not seen a picture of it in the transport position.
I have never plowed with a F-350 with a wing but, every big truck I have plowed with the wing can and sometimes will hit the mirror. When it comes to visibility just lower it a little when you need to see out the passenger side window.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

It definately takes some getting used to for visibility in the up position. You do lose some visibility and even tucked in you have to give yourself another foot of clearance. Every fall I get used to it again. By mid winter I am comfortable but still careful.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM

flipper, do you have any pictures of yours? I have a 89' checy that I want to make a front mounted one for as my 93 has a rear mount style one.

I have found that adding a mirror to the front bumper area helps alot while usingt he wing and driving for added visibility.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlturfcare View Post

I have found that adding a mirror to the front bumper area helps alot while usingt he wing and driving for added visibility.
What kind of mirror? Regular or fisheye? I would like to be able to see the wing a little better. I was thinking about a big fisheye hung off the front wing tower, I just don't know if it would be too exposed out there.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALH VT View Post
What kind of mirror? Regular or fisheye? I would like to be able to see the wing a little better. I was thinking about a big fisheye hung off the front wing tower, I just don't know if it would be too exposed out there.
I like having big fish eye on my wing tower. It works wicked good because you can see your wing while you are plowing. It helps a lot going around mail boxes.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I thought I would bring this back up. I ended up finding a Tenco 9ft wing setup that was off an OBS F350. The guy was gong to scrap it so I got it for cheap. It had been torched off so I need to do a little fab to mount it and get it working. Between the business and family I have been too busy to get it on yet (plus I need to replace my welder that finally gave up). Truck has leaf box on it now but hopefully after Thanksgiving we can work on getting it mounted.

I will load up some pictures of it.