Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2003, 12:50 AM

How much are u getting to plow driveways?

Hello All
I am new at plowing this year, I have just picked up 97 F250 with a 4 inch lift and then i got a Western 7.5 pro plow. and not sure as to how much to charge people. I hope to meet some other plowers and get in with them/work for them. but i dont know how to price things that I will do on my own.( I know charge as much as i can LOL)

Thanks for any help

Jeff
Jackson MI
1997 F150 4x4
1996 Mustang Cobra
-----------------------------------------------
Jeff
Old 12-20-2003, 12:56 AM

I have a 50$ minimun. no ifs, ands, or buts, if they think it is too much, they can get someone else or, buy a shovel
Old 12-20-2003, 02:38 AM

Your Time + Wear and tear + insurance = price
There are other things you can figure in as well but I have a couple drives close to home that are $20 one straight short push up to $125 for about an hour of work at a business parking lot. $30 is about an average residential price for the areas I plow. Also my price doesn't reflect the neighborhood, slumish or richie I try to be fair and if there are two different drives same size in two neighborhoods, they both get the same price. Some may say take advantage of the location but I know some people that live in a very nice area but are not well off like some of the neighbors may be. Be good to your customers and they'll be repeat customers for a long time.which is
Old 12-20-2003, 03:08 AM

i would guess out there you will get 25-35., just ask some competitors what they charge
Old 12-20-2003, 04:00 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Typical drives are $25-$35.....most take 5 to 10 minutes....I did 3 @ $25 the other morning in 20 minutes.........

$225 an hour is a pretty good rate for me......and I have low overhead since all my ins, equipment, etc are paid for by my rental properrties....

Derek

Last edited by dmontgomery; 12-20-2003 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:18 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

$35 minimum, $50 for a flagdown if i'm working

Meyer Pump Wizzard
Old 12-20-2003, 08:03 AM

30-40. I have one easy straight drive I charge $30. Another will be $40. It depends on the location.Last two storms I plowed for 4 hours and made $540.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:17 AM

Since I work full time, most of the time I would just drive around and do "flag down" driveways since I can't do contractual plowing. I would charge people $20-$30 to knock out a driveway. Of course more often than not I would see an elderly couple trying to shovel their drive and you can tell by the house they live in and the car they drive they really can't spare the money. They won't flag me down but I will stop and I would do them for no charge. You ought to see the look on their faces!! I also plow my neighbors for free since I live in a small subdivision (8 houses over 40 acres). We all depend on each other out here and they repay me in other ways. One neighbor mows one of my one acre lots all summer for no charge since he has a large tractor. Do I make any real money? No. Not even close to recoup my investment. But if I ever need anything from anybody all I generally have to do is ask.... It works for me.
Central IL

Confirmed Liberal
"I may be a bleeding heart, but at least I know I have one"
Old 12-20-2003, 12:50 PM

$50 min. for driveways
Old 12-20-2003, 03:14 PM

We charge 25-50 per driveway depending on complexity. We also give discounts for multiple driveways. One of our customers got 8 other people on their road to be plowed so we do them for 20 each. Think about how much it will take you and go from there, for a simple push 30 or so is a good start.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:13 PM

1-9 inches i charge between 25 and 45
Old 12-20-2003, 04:48 PM

In my area, I can get between 25-45 dollars per driveway.

Shadled

1977 Dodge M880, 7.5' Western Pro Plow
Old 12-20-2003, 05:36 PM

here is a letter I put out this year to build up

here is a letter I put out this year to build up the residential driveway business, in just a week signed up 10 they fill in the business route when headed back to shop..

Afford-a-Bill's Property Maintenance Services LLC
Lawn and Garden Services Field And Estate Mowing Services Snow and Ice Removal

578 E Possum Rd Phone 937-
Springfield Ohio
Cell xxx xxx xxxx Fax
E-mail Rainair@ameritech.net

Dear Neighbors in xxxxxx;

Hello, let me introduce myself, I am Bill King, many knew me as part of King Orchard here on E. Possum road of which my family owned and operated for 55 years.

I have a partner, Randy Gordon Sr. that for a hobby works on cars in his spare time [when the fish are not calling]. We started a property management business in xxxx, of which we have 2 certified landscapers on staff, and equipment to mow anything from a corner lot to a “field of dreams” and snow equipment to handle most snowstorms. (We have 4 trucks)

I would like to offer a very needed service that is just around the corner, S N O W and Ice removal. Yes, it’s going to happen and we have no control over it. If you want to make sure your drive is cleared and salted before you go to work, please give me a call or e-mail before December 1st and have me put you on the “Neighbors snow list” I will send my crews upon each snow and clear your drive and sidewalks between 5 am and 12o pm. Please note this special price is only for the Springfield TWP. area! $35.00 per driveway/sidewalks (per visit) and I will also salt it too, Let us be the ones out in the COLD and blistery weather while you are in your warm home, but I need to make my list before December 5th so I can set up my teams for the season. Note: On call plowing with out being on list starts at $50.00 plus salt, so let me know you want on that list today!
We offer invoicing, “Master-card”, and “Visa”
We are professionals, not a guy with a truck in the area plowing.
We will not be doing residential driveways between 10:PM and 5 am
At this time our crews will be working on businesses in the area to open their lots and driveways.
Thanks again
Bill King
Randy Gordon
Old 12-20-2003, 07:04 PM

Up here in the sticks I get anywhere from $15 to $30 per driveway. Some of the older people who live on a set income get a break. On the last two storms which were biggies it took me 3 times longer to get them all done (30 hours+) I was thinking about charging double after reading some of the posts on here. I never really considered charging double for those 2 foot storms but it makes sense when you beat your truck to death. My father lost hi2 and hi4 in his truck so that is going to kill his profit.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plowman777
i would guess out there you will get 25-35., just ask some competitors what they charge
Thats about what we charge. It all depends on how close they are and how difficult. the key is to get as many as you can in the same area, but this can be difficult when yer startin out
Old 12-20-2003, 11:03 PM

I think i will make some flyers to pass out around my house. I will charge $15 for normal driveways and $25 for long Driveways. I also will take names to put on the list to do whenever it needs it that way they dont have to call every time. I was told if i run a ad in the paper and the local saleman my phone will ring off the hook I had a guy at the local parts store tell me other plow companys will hire me and my rig to work for them. as long as they pay me decent that might be the way to go.

any other tips on whats good to do?

Thanks
1997 F150 4x4
1996 Mustang Cobra
-----------------------------------------------
Jeff
Old 12-21-2003, 05:09 AM

Most folks here like to contract for the season. This year my average seasonal price is $385.00, which is in line with most other contractors I know, however I base my 'seasonal' price on 12 clearings. If it is necessary to plow after 12 times the seasonal price is divided by 12 (in this case $32.08) and the customer is then billed by the push for the remainder of the season. During real rough winters I have had to plow as many as 18 - 20 times, but on the average it's 12 - 15. Most mild seasons if I plow 15 times I don't charge for the extra clearings. I also let the customer make two payments. One Nov. 1st and the second Feb. 1st. This is the fairest system I've been able to come up with and my customers like it.
In a development in our town the driveways are fairly short but tight with little room to pile the snow. If it takes more than 8-10 minutes to plow the drive the price goes up.
You should check with other contractors in your area because prices fluctuate and you should stay in line with their prices.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:29 AM

OK, here's the skinny from where I see it. I drive a plow truck for someone else, I make $18/hr, I see ads in the paper where you can sub you and your truck out for $40-50/hr, based on what I read here and other forums, the going rate is in the neighborhood of $100 an hour, mebbe a lil more.

I'll finish out this season and I'm looking for a truck to get this Summer and get it ready for next season.. I've also got a 4 wheeler with blade and 3 or 4 snow blowers of various sizes. Hopefully by this time next Winter, I'll be thinkin about a trip to Mexico for a week..

Paul
Old 12-22-2003, 07:27 PM

Why are some of you working So cheap. What is going to hapen when you blow a $2000.00 transmisson doing a $15 or $20 dollar driveway? How do you pay for your insurace at such a low rate. A new Western plow is 3600.00 now at 20 per drive way you have to do 180 brfore you make dime 1.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:52 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I charge what the so called market will support.....If I told people I wanted $50 or $75 to plow a driveway that takes me 5 minutes they would not hire me. Then I would have nothing as opposed to the $25 I get now......Seems pretty easy to me.....

If I blew a tranny......I would pay to fix it.........

Why are so many people so upset about what others charge? I do my thing and not worry about how others run their business....

Derek