Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-13-2003, 12:32 PM

How much snow do i need to plow?

This year is the first year i'm plowing other people's driveway and i was wondering what is the minimum amount of snow fallen at the end of a storm that i should go plow? I know we are getting more snow but if we only get 3 in. sould i go out and plow my driveways at the end of the storm?? What is the amount most people would like their driveway plowed?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:59 PM

We plow and salt every snow ,no matter how small. If someone wants us to plow the deep ones we have to have their business on the small snows .
If you dont plow a small snow and it turns to ice and then snows again on top of the ice you will have problems. You dont want the jobs that say we will call you when we want it plowed , we start at 2 inches till we are done. Why push 12 inches of snow once when you can push 2 inches 6 times, make more money and have less wear and tear on the equipment.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:36 PM

I don't know about your climate but up here the snow doesn't melt until spring so if you don't plow when it snows - no matter how much - it will end up packed down from driving on it. With our cold temperatures that snow ends up packed so hard that there is no way to cut it and if there ends up to be very much accumulation then it is a real pain in the spring. I personally plow in front of my garage if there is as little as 1/2" but don't normally plow the driveway unless there is close to 2". The friends I plow for usually don't call unless there is 4" - for less than that they usually get out the shovel.