Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 AM

Cost to run per hour

Hey everyone. I live in west central Ohio and I have never plowed commercially before. I have read through lots of post but can't really find my answer. I have a 99 f350 7.3 diesel and a new boss 8'2" v plow. Can someone advise how much this equipment will cost me per hour. I have contracted the truck, plow, and myself driving and would like to know how much per hour to put towards vehicle and plow maintenance and replacement. I have no clue how many snow events we average but I do know a simple 2" push will get me about 4 hours of work. I say this because I figure the amount of hours you push a year effect the cost to operate equipment. Can someone please help me out, I hope I will not be working for free after its all said and done.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM

P.s. truck and plow are paid for but I do want to save back for replacement
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Over the life of the equipment 60-100 per hour. Higher snow areas like Ohio might be toward the lower end, but figure $3000 for the vehicle, $1000 for the plow, $1500 fuel, $500-1000 insurance.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Everyone's costs, or overhead, are different. Pay yourself a reasonable wage for operating the truck and the rest goes into the business. All expenses come out of that amount.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I believe his question pertains to cost of maintenance and fuel only. Not what he should be charging for sub contract work. You also should think about adding a percentage of your insurances in there too.

I charge 80 an hour a piece for my cats and one tons, and I allow about 20 an hour for fuel and maintenance, and that is on the high side. it's probably closer to ten and hour providing I dont blow a tranny throughout the season.

That being said, I own all my equipment. And that number isnt including my liability, comp and vehicle ins.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 AM

I havent kept plowing specific data yet, but my truck costs about .35 per mile so i would double that then multiply by 20mph plowing to be safe and that gives you 14 to 21 (if youre going 30) bucks per hour in very sloppy SWAG fashion.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks for info. I wonder how many snows can we expect a year in Ohio. I would like to figure how many hours use my blow will get per year and that will help me know my depreciation cost better also.