Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Western Plow Ultra Mount ?

Looking at a newer plow truck and it has a western set up. I have only owned northman and currently meyer .

The northman I used to own was almost care free. The older meyer not so every year it seems like valves etc needing tinkering with.

What can you guys tell me on the good and bad on this western set up.

Pic attached.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM

That's an older UltraMount Pro Plus. If it's in good shape you'll love it.

There's really nothing bad with it, unless it's been beat and not maintenanced but it's hard to tell that from just one pic.

8ft Western UltraMount Pro Plus
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 PM

We own a Western wideout with the ultra mount.Make sure to use enough dielectric grease on all connections.This set up includes a 1.5 7 foot poly Western spreader. The mount is just flat out awesome. Trouble free. I must agree with Andrew010 from one picture hard to tell but you will dump your Meyers.
2008 FORD F-350 DUALLY 6.4. POWERSTROKE(INTERNATIONAL)TWIN TURBOS BY BORG WARNER BANKS RAM AIR COLD INTAKE.
WESTERN WIDEOUT WITH ULTRA MOUNT
WESTERN 1.5 TORNADO.
GOOD LUCK
Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 AM

yea, imo you can't beat an ultramount for hooking up and unhooking, and can't beat a pro plus for a heavy duty straight plow.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Ultramount is awsome in comparison to others I have worked on. Unlike the Boss power connect system the Western doesn't need power or wires or hydraulics to work to hook up, you just need to be able to drive. It can be a trick getting lined up with the horns but once you get over that it's so easy. Just release the landing foot, pull the landing gear latch pin and then pull up to suck it in and lock it on. Same on the other side and then your cables. I own a Wide out on a 550 and what I love about the hookup is that I can take any Western ultra mount on the same recievers. I also went to the trouble to install multiple wires so I can run the old MVP, the old style straight blade (as in you photo) and any of the new fleet flex systems. Great since I am a Western service tech. I can pickup, drop off and service all ultramounts using one truck. Another advantage of the Westerns is their isolation module electrical system. Compared to all the relays and switches used on other plows this is a joy to work with. And the controllers... Yikes.... Some of the monsters I have seen come with other plows..... You almost need an extra seat in the cab just to fit the joystick. I like the little Western hand helds. I never put mine down when I am plowing so I have two hands to steer with but still have the control at the tip of my thumb at all times. In my opinion Western is the best there is.

Western factory trained installer / mechanic.
Oh and I have a plow too... a 2005 Ford F550 with Western Wide-out
Owner / operator of a landscape equipment service shop. Yea, we fix plows and sanders.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 AM

Mishnick.Hope some day to hunt some of thaat Royal Crown Land with MCO Outfitters in Alberta.Just need a ton of snowfall to afford it. Loo.I too love our Western wideout with backdrag(for short spots or small driveways plus a shoe kit for those municipalities and whom ever has that gravel or dirt road.