Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM

U-joints

I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD. This whole truck maintenance thing is new to me as in never doing it by my self. So far I have done the obv oil change, plugs, wires, front and rear diff fluid change, need to do transfer case and transmission. Now a couple of questions to you more seasoned guys. When I do the transmission, should I do it or should I have like say Valvoline do it. The thing is with that is I hear horror stories of guys trannys going to **** afterward. Also I want to do the u joints, how do I do it? What kind of u-joints would you recommend? Sealed or Grease-able? Any input would be very helpful.

2005 GMC 2500HD
8'2 Boss VXT + Wings = 10'2

"Make sure you put in a honest day's work, people on welfare are depending on you!"
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Well, if you have a place like an instant oil change place do your trans service, chances are they wont actually pull the pan and change the filter. I would rather change the filter than just do a flush. I too have heard of horror stories when doing transmission services, but I have done plenty in my day and have never had one fail. The hardest part of changing the trans filter is you have to pull the pan, and you will have to jack up the transmission to get the clearance you need to sneak the pan out. Other than that its not a bad job, just be sure to use the correct parts and fluids and you shouldn't have any problems.

U-joints are really left up to personal preference. I prefer grease-able, but if your not going to crawl under there and grease them on a regular basis, you might as well get sealed u-joints

Note: I just did all my fluids on my Yukon this spring and took a 1500 mile trip afterword, towing my 5800lb camper with no problems, oh yeah, did I mention that the Yukon has 193k on the drive train.

2003 F250 SD CREW Cab
7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
short box
Boss 7'6" poly straight

2003 Tahoe
7'6" Snoway Predator with down pressure
Timbrens up front

Last edited by Plowtoy; 08-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Ive never heard any horror stoires doing transmission flushes. Ive done hundreds maybe even a thousand in 10 years I think most people like to tell storys or just plain dont have a clue to begin with. It is the best way to replace every drop of fluid in you transmission. Dropping the pan and changing 4 quarts is like pissing in the ocean. Most (filters) are more of a screen now adays.Do you have an allison in your truck? Only use greasable joints and grease your truck every oil change.I like precision joints.
ktm 450 exc
mxz rev 800
husqvarna 1130

Last edited by brad96z28; 08-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 PM

X2 I'm with plowtoy on this !
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM

X3 with Plowtoy, drop the pan and change the filter.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Greasable is the only way to roll. Also as far as the trans, do both. Change the filter and get the flush done. It gets pretty much everything out of the transmission. The cleaner the better.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo1 View Post
Greasable is the only way to roll. Also as far as the trans, do both. Change the filter and get the flush done. It gets pretty much everything out of the transmission. The cleaner the better.
I agree with this also. When ever I buy a used vehicle, I do a flush, then go right home and drop the pan and change the filter. From then on, every spring i just drop the pan and change the filter. I do the flush first because I don't want anything to potentially plug up my new filter.

2003 F250 SD CREW Cab
7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
short box
Boss 7'6" poly straight

2003 Tahoe
Timbrens up front
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
I agree with this also. When ever I buy a used vehicle, I do a flush, then go right home and drop the pan and change the filter. From then on, every spring i just drop the pan and change the filter. I do the flush first because I don't want anything to potentially plug up my new filter.
Ever seen a plugged trans filter?
ktm 450 exc
mxz rev 800
husqvarna 1130
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad96z28 View Post
Ever seen a plugged trans filter?
Actually, yes I have. It was in a 3T40 (or us old guys remember it as the 125) I had in a Grand Am. It slipped like crazy until I changed it. It was pure luck that the trans didn't give me any problems after I changed it. The real question should be, does it happen often=NO, but it does happen

2003 F250 SD CREW Cab
7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
short box
Boss 7'6" poly straight

2003 Tahoe
Timbrens up front
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Actually, yes I have. It was in a 3T40 (or us old guys remember it as the 125) I had in a Grand Am. It slipped like crazy until I changed it. It was pure luck that the trans didn't give me any problems after I changed it. The real question should be, does it happen often=NO, but it does happen
Just wondering, Ive never seen one and yes older car had real filters unlike now a days.
ktm 450 exc
mxz rev 800
husqvarna 1130
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 PM

am i the only one that likes sealed u-joints?

i've had vehilces with both, and the only ones i've ever had to replace are the greaseable joints. mostly because they get forgotten.

your sealed u-joints are a little stronger because they do not have a hole in them for the grease fitting, and they come filled with a premium synthetic grease.

can't go wrong either way, i suppose. but given my choice, i'd take a sealed one so that i don't have to maintain it. ive had vehicles with over 200k on them with the original sealed ujoints and i've replaced greaseable ones at 100k because no one ever greased them..... so that's where i'm at with it. "brute force" brand would be my choice, if they are still available. i used to sell parts and NEVER had one of them come back.... the others would from time to time.

as for the tranny, i like to do a full fluid exchange with full synthetic so i don't have to worry about it. cost more, but you can double your service life of the fluid. doing the pan and filter is good enough for most vehilces unless heavily neglected. you can also drop the pan and filter, then unhook a cooler line and replace the fluid 4 quarts at a time until all the old stuff is flushed out. takes a while, but it can be done. considering doing this to mine, actually.