Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Best plow trucks??????

So im im minnesota and winter is over so now im looking for a plow or just a truck to throw a plow on thinking it will be cheaper now to get the truck and plow exspecailly with the horrible winter we had with no snow. So now im wondering what is the best truck to plow with and last the longest without a bunch of mechanical problems? all the plowing companies ive worked for have chevy 2500 and couple f250 but ive been told to get a older ford 7.3L turbo diesel. keep im mind i have a 10k budget. Do plow companies just not get the diesel trucks because they are so expensive new and the 2500 are cheaper new and better for summer work?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
2000 Club Member

Diesel trucks cost a significant amount more, and with the cost of diesel fuel up where it is it takes several years to recoup the investment in the diesel. Couple that with the fact that the latest generation of diesel engines is less reliable, and less efficient with the emission controls now required, and it really makes you have to think twice before going diesel.
Ford fans will tell you buy a Ford, Chevy guys will tout Chevy, Dodge guys... well there are too few of us.
Each has it's selling points. I really like what I have heard about Chevy 6L gas engines, but personally I dislike torsion front ends especially for a plow truck. Not sure about many newer gas engines - I have been out of that circle for over a decade. I still love my 96 Dodge diesel - rebuild/beef the auto and you have a damn fine work truck that'll push or pull anything. Same goes for the 02 7.3L F350 I'm driving now (not plow truck). So, I kind of lean toward a pre-emissions diesel on that budget, but a older 7.3 is going to cost you 10 grand without a plow...It also depends on how long you plan on keeping it. Short term, buy newer so it retains value when you want to sell.
Remember, commercial buyers (like landscapers and tow companies, and contractors) buy based on many things - cost to own, commercial up fitting ease (Ford has that sewn up), reputation (If Ford or Chevy is plastering the TV with ads saying they are the number 1 selling commercial truck every year in your market, people will believe it even if it's a lie!), and brand prevalence - how many trucks of that make being seen around in the same line of work.
'96 Dodge 2500 Diesel, Fisher 8' MM, Timbrens finally installed
'86 Chevy 3500 DRWL Dump Fisher, 8' Speedcast, 3yd Torwell - Gone 10/30/10
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 AM
2000 Club Member

It's going to be a long summer.
48" Bobcat W/B
Echo handhelds
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM

My Chevy Silverado 2500HD has been a great plow/work truck. I have 285's on the truck with just a few turns on the torsions bars and absolutely no complaints
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM
2000 Club Member

Everyone knows that the best plow truck is a Ford F250 with a Boss v plow.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

No the best plow truck is the one you don't have to keep sinking money into!!!
I've plowed with all three manufacturers and each has its pluses and minuses. Personally I plow with a dodge. No complaints. I've used a lot of chevys and they seem to do the job fine but the upkeep is more costly imo. Fords are capable as well. The only thing I don't like about them is they aren't very comfortable. For me my dodge has what I like/require so I guess I'm biased in that sense. Right now I would say stay away from diesel, its too costly to buy and run. Besides, you'll lose traction long before you will ever need that much power to push snow. My hemi has over 300hp and I can't ever recall needing all of it to plow snow. Buy what suits your needs first since you can put a plow on any truck.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo1 View Post
No the best plow truck is the one you don't have to keep sinking money into!!!
In that case ,plow for someone else!

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo1 View Post
...Right now I would say stay away from diesel, its too costly to buy and run. Besides, you'll lose traction long before you will ever need that much power to push snow. My hemi has over 300hp and I can't ever recall needing all of it to plow snow.
It's not the HP that counts for a truck,it's torque. My CTD has 280hp. HP only comes into effect at rpm... it's the torque off idle and at working rpm. I will admit I do spin wheels a lot if I go against a bank from idle, and it took some time to get used to having 480lbs-ft available from idle but let me tell you, there has yet to be a pile of snow in front of the blade that got too big to push. A good friend of mine with a GMC gasser has open diffs and never spins his wheels doing drives I would have trouble in because of the weight balance and extra torque, but a limited slip solves 90% of that.
'96 Dodge 2500 Diesel, Fisher 8' MM, Timbrens finally installed
'86 Chevy 3500 DRWL Dump Fisher, 8' Speedcast, 3yd Torwell - Gone 10/30/10
Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I've plowed with a Chevy - required a front end rebuild.

I've plowed with a Dodge - required a front end rebuild.

I've plowed with a Ford - required a front end rebuild.

I drive a Ford because I liked the interior and I couldn't get a true crew cab with a dodge. I have never owned a Chevy because I have never been a fan of IFS.

Pick whichever truck you like. They all push snow pretty good and all will require maintenance and repairs.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM

My 95 Dodge 2500 HD has 80K on it and has never failed me. To each their own but Dodge is my truck. You take care of a truck any truck with regular maintenance it will last you a long time.

Wood Trucking Snow Removal

Mine
1995 Ram 2500 HD Gas
Meyer 7'6" W/ Buyers Pro Wings

Boss
2010 F250 Super Duty Gas
Western Contractor 7'6"

1994 K2500 Gas
Western 7'6"

Back-Up Truck
1995.5 Ram 2500 HD Diesel
Western 7'6"
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_and_tired View Post
I've plowed with a Chevy - required a front end rebuild.

I've plowed with a Dodge - required a front end rebuild.

I've plowed with a Ford - required a front end rebuild.

I drive a Ford because I liked the interior and I couldn't get a true crew cab with a dodge. I have never owned a Chevy because I have never been a fan of IFS.

Pick whichever truck you like. They all push snow pretty good and all will require maintenance and repairs.
X2
I drive a Dodge because I like the cab and stiffe ride. Have 3 Dodges and 10 GM's maintenance is key in having a reliable truck as well as good drivers.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM
2000 Club Member

I prefer ford superduty diesel, or chevy diesel (even though I break chevy dieharder's balls). As mentioned though any truck will make you money if kept in good order.

I'm concerned about your budget of $10 000 to outfit though. Please take this constructively, and not the wrong way. I think it would be very hard to gear up properly under that budget, especially for your primary rig. It is hard to find a 4x4 diesel in really good condition for that much. A lot of plows cost close to that as well. To have both together and be under $10k is cutting it close. Keep in mind, if this is your first plow truck, you need it to be reliable.

Also, I feel I'm going to draw fire here, but be careful going old diesel or gas. Gas engine vehicles typically have far lighter duty parts throughout the drivetrain. I'm not saying they can't plow, I'm saying that it works them very hard. Diesels don't even get into their powerbands most of the time while plowing. Nor do they need it. There are a million people on this site that say the 7.3 is the holy grail of trucks........ They were, in their day, before they were improved on. There's nothing wrong with the engine, but you won't find one less than 10 years old. This is suitable if you stick to the $10k budget but not ideal for a 'reliable truck'. Also any truck that carried a 7.3 has a significantly lighter duty truck carrying it.

I suggest saving more or looking at a longer term investment and going with the technology, reliability, power, and parts availability of the newer trucks. Just my .02
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

yea, the Ford 7.3 diesel is not a reliable engine.
my 88 only has 493,000 miles on it and the only thing it needs is to be run some more.
my 02 only has 186,000 miles on it.
the 35 that we had on the other job all had over 300,000 miles on them without any major work, and still ran like new when the company went under.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
yea, the Ford 7.3 diesel is not a reliable engine.
my 88 only has 493,000 miles on it and the only thing it needs is to be run some more.
my 02 only has 186,000 miles on it.
the 35 that we had on the other job all had over 300,000 miles on them without any major work, and still ran like new when the company went under.
I dont think he was talking about the 7.3L or any older diesel. He was talking about all the new ones.

2004 F-350 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
8'6" Fisher MM2 Straight Blade
Western Tornado 1.8 cu. yard

www.bmwastewater.com
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I dont think he was talking about the 7.3L or any older diesel. He was talking about all the new ones.
this is the quote i was responding to.

There are a million people on this site that say the 7.3 is the holy grail of trucks........ They were, in their day, before they were improved on. There's nothing wrong with the engine, but you won't find one less than 10 years old. This is suitable if you stick to the $10k budget but not ideal for a 'reliable truck'. Also any truck that carried a 7.3 has a significantly lighter duty truck carrying it.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM

I cast my vote for a K5 Blazer with a 1 ton axle swap, Vortech V8, 4 speed "granny gear" or TH400 Transmission and an NP205 transfer case. Simple, heavy duty, cheap to build and a short wheel base.
...But I'm sure you want something shiny with A/C and cup holders. I just want my plow truck to be built like a tank, and it is.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage steel View Post
I cast my vote for a K5 Blazer with a 1 ton axle swap, Vortech V8, 4 speed "granny gear" or TH400 Transmission and an NP205 transfer case. Simple, heavy duty, cheap to build and a short wheel base.
...But I'm sure you want something shiny with A/C and cup holders. I just want my plow truck to be built like a tank, and it is.
Sounds good with the TH400 or 4 speed for home owner use. Manuals suck for any real plowing...I would know.
48" Bobcat W/B
Echo handhelds
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 PM

I would think how the truck has been treated by the PO and yourself will make more difference than make. Some one who trashes and beats on the "best" truck will have more issues than they guy who takes great care in his "worst" truck. ....just my .02
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Look for an "old mans truck", I just had to pass on one I xame across due to lack of snow last winter & drought this summer cash is tight. It was a '94 chevy ext cab dually 4x4, 454, auto, no plow had a gooseneck hitch that must not have been used much because it has had a cap on it as long as I've seen it (8+ yrs), winters it was in Florida, no rust at all, I believe about 120k miles, Sold it in 2 days in front of his house, so I'm sure it was priced right.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Any of the 88-2000 K2500/K3500 chevy's are absolute gems of reliability and simplicity, great trucks that if even decently maintained will last forever. Fluid changes and Grease. They are getting hard to find in good shape but if you can pick one up in good shape, gusset the frame and you'll have a venerable plow truck for a long time to come, and parts are cheap as hell.