Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Fisher HD on Toyota Tundra problem

Hi all:

I'm new to the site and glad I found you. I did check the threads and didn't find an answer to my question although I admit i didn't look through all 150 pages

I'm running a 7 and a half foot Fisher HD on a 2011 Toyota Tundra, I installed a ReadyLift leveling kit on this truck when I bought it. I didn't have one on the 2007 Tundra that I traded for this one. I think it is a poor engineering job by Fisher on the mounting apparatus for the HD plow, or maybe its just that the only place to mount the plow is on the tow hook points on the frame of the truck. With the leveling kit, the plow doesn't bottom out the way it did on the old truck but now after adding about 6 inches of length to the chain, the plow doesn't go low enough to scrape properly on a paved driveway. Is there an adjustment I don't know about?

I'm about to weld a piece on the the cutting edge to give myself about 3 extra inches so the blade will scrape and I don't go through as much salt.

Any ideas?

Todd
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Plow lift kit. Theres a Minute Mount 1 on a 2000 F350 thats been lifted about 8 inches. The pin assembly was cut and braced to meet the pushplates mounted on the frame. You may be able to do this with a MM2, but it would need a custom pin rod.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM

I have a 6 inch lift on my Ram and I had to lower the A frame by 6 inches so it would be level with the ground. I think you can see it in my photos I have posted here. I was able to cut the steel at work and bend it just like my A frame then had to weild it in place. It helps when you can do them things yourself
Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM
2000 Club Member

The A-frame needs to be parallel to the ground for consistent scraping. Fisher HD plows don't scrape that well anyway.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I think an extension on the cutting edge is what I'll try first. I have some 3/8 plate in my shop, I think extending it and adding a little more angle will help with the scraping. I'll let you know how it works out.

Todd
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Good luck. I tried that and it just want work well.The A-frame has to be parallel or what happens is when you turn the plow right or left one side will lift off of the ground or in my case it did. I did try a 8 inch cutting edge and that shopped some, but still had the problem. After I lowered the A fram all is well now and it cuts like a new plow now
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Modify your a frame like this if it's not level.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd NS View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think an extension on the cutting edge is what I'll try first. I have some 3/8 plate in my shop, I think extending it and adding a little more angle will help with the scraping. I'll let you know how it works out.

Todd
You will be very disappointed. First, regular mild steel will not last long at all, especially 3/8. Second, the longer cutting edge will trip continuously.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 AM

Well, in my case mine don't trip continuously, but I also have good trip springs on mine. When I do trip it you know it and feel it too.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 AM

I appreciate all the input. I dont know what I'm going to do yet but it seems like lowering the A frame defeats the purpose of putting in the leveling kit and puts me back in the same situation where the plow drags across curb entries even when it is not angled. If I have to grind off the welds and replace the cutting edge extension once in a while that's probably cheaper in the long run than going through an extra ton of salt every year. The fisher is paid for this year, any recommendations for a blade that scrapes better in the first place and works well on a tundra?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen X-Blades on Tundras..don't even have to change the mount but those Tundras also had leveling kits so I think you'd be good to go.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 PM

solution

I ran into a guy I know who runs a plow operation, he and his father had a similar problem. They went to the 8" cutting edge as one poster suggested, they have since switched to v-blade arctic plows on their trucks and offered to lend me an 8" edge to see if it helped with my problem. The plow now scrapes much better and works fine when angled....up hill and down. I'm going to buy a new 8" edge...problem solved. Thanks again for all the advice.

Todd