Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Meyer Snow Plow will not angle left

I have tried replacing C-Valve and Coulpings, still only goes up/down and to the right.
Can someone tell me what the resistance is when checking the coils on the C valve?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzano View Post
I have tried replacing C-Valve and Coulpings, still only goes up/down and to the right.
Can someone tell me what the resistance is when checking the coils on the C valve?
What pump and controller? Left should be default, meaning that the motor runs and none of the valves are activated. Check your pilot check valve. This is under the hex bolt on top of the PA block, it should move up and freely. Also there is a allen socket bolt directly under this bolt. This is where the ball and spring are located for the pilot check valve.

EDIT

Forgot to ask the basics, Does the motor run when you press left? Does the plow do anything when pressed left?

Last edited by kimber750; 01-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks Kimber750
It is a E-47 with a joy stick controller. I had the pump tested on a bench and was told the pump was fine and told to replace the couplings. Which I did but still will not go to the left.
Don't know what to do.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:07 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Thanks Kimber750
It is a E-47 with a joy stick controller. I had the pump tested on a bench and was told the pump was fine and told to replace the couplings. Which I did but still will not go to the left.
Don't know what to do.
Does it do anything when you press left? Did the test bench have the angle rams on it? If you connect the hoses together on the rams can you angle the plow by hand? With hoses connected to pump can you angle the plow? Just need a lot more info.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 PM

No problem asking for more info... When toggling switch to go left it seems it still trys to go right. I did try hooking hoses together and tried move plow by hand. It is very hard and cand only angle it to the left with a lot of force. I'm working on it alone and can't check solinoid for magnetism. Did try to see if I was getting voltage to coil but it seemed jumpy. Not a straight 12 volts that is what I would have thought. Can there be something wrong with power, even thou it goes Up/Down and to the right? That is also why I was asking about coil resistance, could I have a short or open Coil?

Last edited by razzano; 01-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
No problem asking for more info... When toggling switch to go left it seems it still trys to go right. I did try hooking hoses together and tried move plow by hand. It is very hard and cand only angle it to the left with a lot of force. I'm working on it alone and can't check solinoid for magnetism. Did try to see if I was getting voltage to coil but it seemed jumpy. Not a straight 12 volts that is what I would have thought. Can there be something wrong with power, even thou it goes Up/Down and to the right? That is also why I was asking about coil resistance, could I have a short or open Coil?
C coil should have NO power when trying to go left. Try this, unhook the green wire and try to angle left.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM

I disconnected green wire and it still was angling right (Plows angles to passenger side).
I also tried swapping Red and Green wires and plow drove up when switch toggled to right but only heard motor running when toggled switch for plow to go left,
Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
I disconnected green wire and it still was angling right (Plows angles to passenger side).
I also tried swapping Red and Green wires and plow drove up when switch toggled to right but only heard motor running when toggled switch for plow to go left,
Does the drivers side hose have pressure on it after you try to angle right. Still thinking your pilot check valve is damaged. Only other thought is your hoses are backwards and C coil is not working. Since we know the B coil (red wire) is working try putting the B coil on the C valve, hook the red coil wire to the green truck side. If the C coil is bad it should angle both ways now.

Another thing you can do is unhook the wires to the plow motor and use something hold the toggle right to make sure you have power coming thru the green wire to the pump. Just be sure to unhook the plow motor.

Last edited by kimber750; 01-09-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Yes the driver side hose is under pressure. I swapped B and C coils and connected Red wire to Green and it still only wanted to angle to the right ?????
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Yes the driver side hose is under pressure. I swapped B and C coils and connected Red wire to Green and it still only wanted to angle to the right ?????
You try testing for power yet. Just remember to unhook the power form the pump motor first.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 AM

No I haven't yet, will try your suggestion tomorrow Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM

check for debris in the system that happened to me last year i had about 90% black sludge and only 10% real fluid so i cleaned to filters and flushed to lines and it worked like new
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM

I had a chance today to connect the two lines from left and right RAMs together and tried to push the plow by hand and with a lot of force got it to move to the left about half way to the left and could not push it to where the left RAM would compress. Could there be something with the RAMs and if so what can I do to test them? Can it be air locked where the fluid just won't travel from one side to the other?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
I had a chance today to connect the two lines from left and right RAMs together and tried to push the plow by hand and with a lot of force got it to move to the left about half way to the left and could not push it to where the left RAM would compress. Could there be something with the RAMs and if so what can I do to test them? Can it be air locked where the fluid just won't travel from one side to the other?
How do your rams look. Pitted? This will still not cause the plow to angle right when pressed left. Have you had this plow for awhile or is it new to you?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Yes the right Ram is Pitted of what I can see of it ( part that is extended) Left Ram which is fully extended looks very good. Are you saying that the Rams are not the issue with it not angling to the left? One other thing I did was disconnected harness fron Joy stick and jumpered power in the harness between power and motor. Thinking the joy stick may have been energizing the coils when trying to angle left. (Angling left no solinoid is to be energized) and still it would not angle left. This would eliminate the joy stick as the issue.
Had the Plow for a few years, it is used for our road association and there are a few people that use it to plow our road. It was working last winter But for some reason as failed after sitting for a few months.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Yes the right Ram is Pitted of what I can see of it ( part that is extended) Left Ram which is fully extended looks very good. Are you saying that the Rams are not the issue with it not angling to the left? One other thing I did was disconnected harness fron Joy stick and jumpered power in the harness between power and motor. Thinking the joy stick may have been energizing the coils when trying to angle left. (Angling left no solinoid is to be energized) and still it would not angle left. This would eliminate the joy stick as the issue.
Had the Plow for a few years, it is used for our road association and there are a few people that use it to plow our road. It was working last winter But for some reason as failed after sitting for a few months.
So there is no way the hoses have been switched. Starting run out of ideas.

The rams should have nothing to do with the plow not going left when you want it to. Now if it did not move at all the rams could be the issue. Will need some time to think about what else to check.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Definitely mindboggaling One thing that seem strange was the hose with the pressure on it when I disconnect it and can't reconnect it till I relieve the pressure by pushing in the coupling pin the fluid is foamy. What would cause that?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Definitely mindboggaling One thing that seem strange was the hose with the pressure on it when I disconnect it and can't reconnect it till I relieve the pressure by pushing in the coupling pin the fluid is foamy. What would cause that?
Air, most likely from when you changed the couplers.

I was thinking your angle hoses were hooked up backwards making the plow go right instead of the default left and you had a bad coil or controller, therefor not activating the C valve to go left. Until you can check for magnetism and power at the C coil I just don't know where else to go from here.

Guess I could go look at my Meyer just to be sure hoses are on the correct sides.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM
2000 Club Member

Attached Images

Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 AM

Looking at your picture I am now not sure how my hoses are hooked up. They may be reversed. But that would only cause the Plow to angle left when the control switch is pushed right and visa versa. It was working last season, I don't believe the hoses were reversed between then and now. But do you feel that having the hoses reversed would cause the plow to only angle to the right (Passenger side) only?