Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM

3 plug truck side to 2 plug plow side rewire question

First post here. I have a quick question regarding rewiring my western ultramount 2 plug plowside. I bought a pro 7 1/2 used, had my 91 bronco wired by a local plow dealer. Not really knowing much yet about the wiring for plows, I found the hard way the wiring doesn't match. They installed the 3 port iso box. I did the research and found I have to order the 3 pin plowside wire and a set of nighthawks. My question is: is the wire conversion fairly straight forward? I have some degree of wiring know how, but not with plows. I know I have to drill another hole on light bar. I assume I will be drilling a new hole to the outside of the existing hole. Should I slot it so I can adjust the aim of the lights?

Thanks for any pointers.
Perry
Old 01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
2000 Club Member

You don't necessarily need to buy the new Nighthawks to make it work. You can buy an 11 pin light harness. If you choose to go with the new lights, the harness will be in the box with the lights. Yes, it's fairly simple to rewire. You simply disconnect the light wiring from the lamp sockets, swap out the control wires on the coils (color coated, either take note what goes where on tare down, or reference the back side of the cover.) then install the new light harness and zip tie the harness to the headgear.

The Nighthawks will come with a instructions and template, but the hole is due to the stud locations.
PlowGuy.Net

Last edited by RepoMan207; 01-01-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-01-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know I can buy the light harness, but I might as well get the new lights too. The light beam gets aimed only with the studs, right? Should I slot the new holes to allow the lights to be pivoted?

Edit: noticed you mentioned template, so this will instruct how to drill. Is there an updated lightbar I need or will this ultramount bar work correctly once drilled?

Last edited by e30tech; 01-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30tech View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know I can buy the light harness, but I might as well get the new lights too. The light beam gets aimed only with the studs, right? Should I slot the new holes to allow the lights to be pivoted?

Edit: noticed you mentioned template, so this will instruct how to drill. Is there an updated lightbar I need or will this ultramount bar work correctly once drilled?
The lights have a bowl type mount bracket that are for aiming adjustments. The extra hole is merely to compensate for the different bolt pattern, that is it. On the Fisher's there is a bracket for the newer lights, but they're only for certain headgear. I can't speak to the Western setup, as the headgear's are totally different. FYI, Fisher and Western are one in the same wiring wise, as they're the same company. I'll look into the extension bracket for you if no one speaks up.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM
2000 Club Member

Perry, No bracket needed.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the help. Just wanted confirmation. I searched yesterday and got the part numbers that you or another member posted in the past.
On a side note, my local dealer screwed me somewhat. I told them what I had and they put the 3 plug on my truck. Understood it's the newer design, so I'll do the update on the plow. I made the appointment to have the wiring and mount installed. My buddy, whose account I used, spends thousands per season there, just got a new ss v plow put on his new 3500hd. They were doing my install after. I dropped mine off, picked his up, and got a call 2 hours later. They didn't have my mount in stock so I had to go back. I bought the frame from another dealer and installed it myself this weekend. I went to hook up the plow and that's when I found the wiring issue. I'll pick the new stuff up this week from the new dealer this week and finish up this weekend. Hopefully it'll snow soon. It's about 50 degrees here in nj!
Thanks for the input,
Perry
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
2000 Club Member

They probably just assumed you had a plow setup for an ISO were it's the current thing. You know what they say about assuming though......if it were me I would ask for a big discount on the Nighthawks, they might just help you out.

It was 40° here today, but they're calling for an arctic front this week with temps well below 30° during the day, and hovering 0° at night. Of coarse there isn't so much as a snowflake in the 10 day forecast to speak of. Hopefully things turn around, I'm paid either way, but I'm getting stir crazy.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if you are interested but, I figured I would throw it out for you.

If you want to do a little trading, take the two plug headlight harness and headlights off the plow side and ship it to me.

I have some used 3 plug harnesses and headlights that I can sell to you for cheap. No Nighthawks, just regular headlights, but you can save yourself a couple of hundred bucks with the trade.
(815) 570-2349 - Fax
phil@triplethreat.comcastbiz.net

Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 AM

Do you have an 11 pin or 12 pin on truck?? If 11pin, try pluggn in and see if lights all work. May not pick up ground though. If they work, could'nt you just buy 3 wire plow side and rewire your coils to make it work?? I know Western lists a conversion wiring harness, but I can"t remember if it"s 3 wire to 2 or vice versa.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM

I just saw the last 2 posts on this thread.

Philbilly2: I already ordered the nighthawks and 3 pin plow control harness, otherwise I would have been interested in your offer.

Sharpcut 1: I forget how many pins are on the truck. I tried plugging the harnesses together, but they wouldn't go. On the 9 pin plowside connector, there are 2 larger diameter pins that wouldn't fit into the sockets of the new truck wiring.

I certainly hope the new lights and control harness are going to work properly! $330 shipped for everything.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 PM
2000 Club Member

They'll work. Come back here and post up any questions or concerns if needed.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM

The new harness and lights came in today. I made sure the harnesses plugged in correctly, which they did. I'll be doing the wiring Saturday morning. Those new lights are huge compared to whats on there!

I'll post my success story once the work is complete.

Thanks again for the help
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30tech View Post
The new harness and lights came in today. I made sure the harnesses plugged in correctly, which they did. I'll be doing the wiring Saturday morning. Those new lights are huge compared to whats on there!

I'll post my success story once the work is complete.

Thanks again for the help
Wait to you see the performance, I love the Intensifiers...ah, urr...Nighthawks. Same thing.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM

I decided not to wait until saturday to do the rewiring. Thankfully, it couldnt have been easier. I tried just doing the 3 pin plow control without the lights as i didn't have time to drill the holes for the light mounts. When I tried operating the plow without the lights, the controller didn't have power. I figured there must be some sort of feedback from the light harness, so I just plugged them in. The controller lit up, and there was power to the plow.

I bought the plow used, which came with 2 handheld controllers. The first unit must need a new circuit board as the plow would not go up or angle left. It only angled right. I tried the other controller, and the plow worked as it should.

My next consideration is a 170 amp alternator. Not sure if I mentioned earlier, but the plow is mounted on a 1991 Bronco 302 auto. I'm thinking it has an 80 amp. The voltmeter drops down to about 10v, which I assume is going to kill the battery over time.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
2000 Club Member

Yes on the PCB board (controller), and the Battery. 170 in a Bronco? That must be the full size version?
PlowGuy.Net

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...ne-pulley.html

They also offer a 200 amp!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
2000 Club Member

Damn! .
PlowGuy.Net