Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM

Western Cable Control

I know there a number of posts, I'feel like I've read them all. I have a conventional plow for my CJ5 I've been getting ready since fall. I have new hoses, new controller, and new cables. When I have the cables and controller "roughed" in, the plow lifts and angles great. When I tie up the cables and mount the controller, the plow angles fine and goes up, but won't go down. It seems the cable get restricted when the controller extends the lift cable. I've made sure I have large radius on the cable where they head back to the cab. My new cables had (1) adjustable and (1) not. The adjustable is on the angle valve. Does anyone use an adjustable cable for both or am I missing something.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

from what i remember both are adjustable,,,they have to be. the adjustments are at the motor. ones under the cover and the other is outside by the cover.
to many accounts, not enough time.

"did you go to school stupid,,,yea and i come out that way too"
"how stupid can you get,,,,how stupid do you want me to be?"
"i don't mind going to work, but its the 8 hours of waiting to go home that really sucks"
Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

http://library.westernplows.com/west.../pdf/62880.pdf
dont know if you saw this or not.

"i don't mind going to work, but its the 8 hours of waiting to go home that really sucks"
Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM

I threw out the old T handle and went with the new version. Red cables, neither were adjustable. New black cables, only one was adjustable and that was labeled for angle control. Black cable for the lift looks just like the red cable at the motor end.

I do have the service manual, it's been very helpful. I'm wondering if I should buy another adjustable cable for the lift...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

hummm,,thats a little outta my relm of knowledge. we have one at work, works fine so i dont mess with it lol. ill look tom at it and see if i can see anything.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Not sure if you got your cable problem fixed but I had the same problem when I moved my plow from one vehicle to another. I basically had to adjust 1 cable at a time dont try to do both at once you will fight with it all day. I adjusted the lift cable first and yes mine was also non adjustable so the adjustment came in how far I slid the cable in or out of the housing. Once I got the up and down set I then moved on to the side to side cable it took me about 3 or 4 hours of playing around but I finally got it working
Old 01-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I had to back the up / down cable out of the housing a bit too. Maybe next year I'll consider an adjustable cable to replace it. I had it all setup perfect, but yesterday I used it for the first time, and it seemed to lift a little when angling. Maybe another slight adjustment...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

on mine my angle cable was adjustable and my lift was not. i just got my angle working today. and make sure your valve isnt seized up
Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi I'm new - had to take my T-Handle control for my Mark IIIa , UP-DOWN Western Plow apart last nite - and broke the end off the cable in the control box - when I tried to straighten it out.
So the RED CABLE is now bad ! Is it OKAY to just replace the RED cable and go on using the T-Handle ---- , or best to go to the new style --- mine is just a UP & DOWN plow - you have to manual swing plow for angle adust.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM

I'm having some of the same issues with my cables dharri770.

Anyone have any video tutorials on changing cables/controllers for westerns?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowcrack View Post
I'm having some of the same issues with my cables dharri770.

Anyone have any video tutorials on changing cables/controllers for westerns?
I completely gave up on the T handle and switched to the newer version. Life got easier after that.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Angry T Handle Cable Replacement ?

I just called a local dealer about replacing the RED Cable on my T - Handle control -- and they gave me part # 56130 (cable $27.30) which I seem to find to be an Adustable cable for the Joy Stick - # 56018 controller --- are the new cables replaceable for the old RED T-Stick cable ------- Ohhh why did I try and fix something that wasm't really broke !!!.

Last edited by PlowDah; 01-17-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Readable
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM

T-handle controller uses RED cables. New controller uses BLACK cables. They aren't interchangeable and I don't believe the RED cables have an adjustable option.

That T-handle was a pain in the arse. So glad I changed. I think I paid $150 for controller and cables together. Like I said, only thing I might do different is use an adjustable cable for the lift too.

Installation is straight forward. The plow end is the same as the old setup. The new controller is self explanatory. Remove the bottom cover and the end of the cable snaps over a ball. One wire connects to the solenoid like the old one.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM

I think the red cable is p/n: 55363. Online I see it for $28.73
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Cable T Handle

Well I was on the phone & online - got a cable (& more knowledge ?) !

My checking ;
Western Dealer : “Said – was 56130 cable & had : $27.30” So I looked up NO its used as lift & angle 56018 Joy Stick controller.
So I called them back and Another clerk – “ SAID NO – it’s a 55363 ( $72 ) which is adjustable Black replacement for RED cable.”
So I bought it = New one 55363 is about 3/8” in Dia vs. old Red one ~ ½” in Dia !
In calling dealers ONE said the “S.A.M. aftermarket 1313005 replacement cable was junk – ends pull off it . “
Well Sun is out its I better go try and put it in.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM

I have one of those SAM cables on mine and have had no problems I ordered it through www.discountsnowplowparts.com. And I have also found out that yes you can run the adjustable cable for either the angling or the lift. I had people tell me you coudnt but I did and works just fine.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM

to change the cable is very simple. 1st unscrew the handle. remove the screws on the back that will allow you to remove the cover of the controller. take the cable off of the ball thats on the controller. then take a pair of pliers and on the inside of the controller squeeze down the wings the the cable will come out. then once you get your new cable run it through the BACK of the controller. feed cable through whereever you have it through and to your pump. installed
Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Cable Replacement should be simple -- BUT !
My first step was to loosen SET screw to remove cable at pump.
Determine was it SAE or Metric - Try to turn with Allen Wrench - NO LUCK - slipped.
So next try to use Hex/Allen socket in my Hand Operated Tap on Impact Driver - NO Luck.
Now what - Tried EasyOuts - NO . Started Drilling and Easy Outs - NO LUCK - Finally Drilled thru and was able to pull out cable - NOW kind of chip out part and finally run a tap thru. The Hex Set Screw was shiny-very clean looking - but I think the Aluminum Housing and Set Screw metal reacted and bonded/froze.
About now - I'm doing outside - Wind is blowing - temp about 10 deg - snow starts to fall . So finally got it done - in evening -- and woow does the plow jump up/down fast now --- Seems Almost to Fast !
Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 PM

great job!