Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Meyers Plow Wings: Installed Pics on an ST 7.5

Well after plowing one time with my EC/LB truck, I found out real quick that a 7.5' plow is not wide enough for a truck that long. I looked at both the Pro-Wings and the Meyers Wings, and after a lot of reading settled on these. They cost twice as much as the Pro-Wings, but if I'm clearing a pile away from a mailbox and need to go in with just the side, I trust these metal ones more than the poly Pro-Wings. While it hurt to spend the money, I think that they are worth the extra coin.

Link: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2785_200392785

Install took about 2 hours, with just a step drill bit & drill, and some basic wrenches and ratchets. The provided templates were pretty decent and everything lined up alright with a little bit of coaxing with a floor jack. Overall, I'm real happy with these...I'm looking forward to plowing with a 9.5' plow!

Anyway onto the good stuff:

With just two pins, they pop off and on quite easily:
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Last edited by bakertime; 12-21-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Is that an ST 7.5 Blade?

PUSHIN' 4 U "Big or Small, We Push It All"

2005 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 w/ Meyer 7.5 Whelen Strobes
2001 Chevy 4.8/ Boss 7.6 "V" Whelen Strobes
Old 12-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Yes it is!
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Ya I feel like an idiot because if I would have just read the title I would have known it was an st 7.5

I have an st 7.5 and have had the pro wings before and was not thrilled with them so much. These looks really good on there. although they cost ALOT!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Haha, I didn't want to be the smart alleck and say "read the title..." I've been on the receiving end of that, haha.

Yeah I know a lot of people swear by the Pro-Wings, and I've never seen them in person, but time and time again I was reading of people having to bend them back to an angle. I don't want to have to get out of the truck and pull my wing off every time I want to cut into a bank. These things are crazy strong and I think will be up to the task for sure. The only thing I've heard about them is that the rubber cutting edge wont always scrap up the packed stuff, but I think that's a small price to pay for retaining the ability to trip the blade.

And yeah...they are crazy expensive, but it is 90lbs of powder coated metal, and some good hardware. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do, but I am pretty optimistic just looking at the build quality of these things.
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakertime View Post
Haha, I didn't want to be the smart alleck and say "read the title..." I've been on the receiving end of that, haha.

Yeah I know a lot of people swear by the Pro-Wings, and I've never seen them in person, but time and time again I was reading of people having to bend them back to an angle. I don't want to have to get out of the truck and pull my wing off every time I want to cut into a bank. These things are crazy strong and I think will be up to the task for sure. The only thing I've heard about them is that the rubber cutting edge wont always scrap up the packed stuff, but I think that's a small price to pay for retaining the ability to trip the blade.

And yeah...they are crazy expensive, but it is 90lbs of powder coated metal, and some good hardware. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do, but I am pretty optimistic just looking at the build quality of these things.
Ya. I thought about investing in some. I do really like how easy these ones look like they come off. The Pro-Wings don't come off so easy. you have to kick and scream and pull to get em off. Hope they do well and maybe you'll change my mind on getting some of the better ones!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Can you tell what kind of angle they come out from the blade at? Would love a few other dimensions such as thickness and so on, these would be fairly straight forward to fabricate.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM

I just put pro wings on my st 7.5 and will get some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested. These look way more beefy than the pro wings.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 PM

Wouldn't hurt to have some pictures of the pro-wings for comparison! It's hard to find good shots of how they attach and everything.

Greywynd, I will try to take some measurements for you if I get a chance this week. I had considered fabbing some, but opted not to for the sake of them fitting perfectly out of the box and them already being powder coated. Not to mention the quick release hardware....But if you're handy with metal then I'm sure you could make something similar up. I don't think the cutting edges cost very much. Just keep in mind that this makes it a 9.5' plow which is technically wider than the legal width of 8.5 (at least in PA)...so it's good to have the ability to take them off.
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
2000 Club Member

The thing about pro-wings is they will bend before your plow does.

I've never had any problems whenever I've used them on any plow. You just have to realize they are on there and slightly adjust your style of plowing.

The thing I don't like about the Meyer ones is how they connect to the moldboard. Though similar to the pro-wings, it's only two points and not three. I feel like if you were at full angle and kissed a curb or manhole cover, you'll rip the wing off along with doing some real damage to the skin on the moldboard.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I don't know what would happen in a hard impact...I know the metal itself is pretty far off the ground (it's almost all above the cutting edge), so I'm not too worried about manhole covers or other obstacles. as I think it would either trip normally or the rubber would just hop over it. As for a curb, you may be right if I was going fast enough, but the connection points are rock solid and they added that metal strip on the back to distribute the force. Also, given how close they are to the moldboard rib, I think it would fare pretty well as long as you weren't really moving. The other thing is that I only do resi's (so I tend to take my time), and I've also got pictures in a notebook of each job so I know where the obstacles are before I drop the plow.
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 AM

I put pics of the prowings here if anybody wants to compare.
http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=129921
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Would love to ask some more questions on those. Have been looking into those but first post of pics. Does the center rib of the wing rest on the edge of the plow for support? Only 2 bolts hold them on looks like that would place so much force on them but guess some force would also go on the L-brackets and against the end rib. How tall are they ? I have one 8' c-series web site says it would fit but a couple of pics with some tape measure shots would be great. Have been thinking of ways to fab up some type of mega scoop or wings for that plow but those look so good.

ask not what your country can do for you , ask what you can do for your country ,
vote for capitalism , vote republican .
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Subscribed for review
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm hoping to have a chance to get out the protractor and tape and get some measurements for you guys today along with some more detail pics...if not today, it IS coming!
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Alright, I took some measurements and more detailed pictures this afternoon...this is going to take a few posts since it only allows 4 pictures to be posted at a time.

Fernalddude, the rib does not rest on the moldboard, but sits just in front of it. I imagine the reason for this is that the rubbing would destroy the powdercoating. Yes it's only the two bolts, but like you said the leverage from the brackets will put a lot of the force on the moldboard directly in front of the rib. With the flat stock on the back to reinforce the bracket bolts, I have a lot of confidence that it won't be a problem. I'll be keeping a close eye on it though, and will definitely add reinforcements to the moldboard if it starts to bend at all.

Greywynd, the angle from the moldboard to the wing is 30*.

Also for anyone interested in fabbing some, here is a copy of the installation instructions from the Northern Tool site: http://www.northerntool.com/download...als/507046.pdf

Measuring horizontally accross the front face of the wing from the widest points, its 22.25"

Height at the outside of the wing is 16". Keep in mind that this tapers down to just above the cutting edge as it goes toward the middle of the plow.

From the outside of the main rib (Which is about flush with the end of the moldboard, it's 11.5" to the outside edge of the wing.

For the main rib, at it's widest point, it's 5".

See the next post for more...
A Few Go-Fast Mods

Last edited by bakertime; 12-30-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM

The horizontal ribs on the back of the wing are 3.5" deep.

The furthest point inward on the wing is 9" from the outside edge of the moldboard.

Distance from the outside edge of the moldboard to the outside side of the rear bracket is 4.5"

Closeup the side of the rib where it meets the cutting edge.

A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Some more closeups for reference:

A Few Go-Fast Mods

Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the pictures and measurements! I see that they have cut slots in the wings for the ribs to lock into when welded too.

Looks like everything is 1/4" thick?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you so much for the pics now just to get out my tape. Deg on arch would be the icing on the cake... With it olny held on with 2 bolts each side it could be attached very easy in the field. I know it has pins but any thing on the face causes build up. Thinking hole plugs to seal the holes then removing them and field install when needed 10 min tops..

ask not what your country can do for you , ask what you can do for your country ,
vote for capitalism , vote republican .

Last edited by fernalddude; 12-30-2011 at 04:39 PM.