Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM

pressure relief valves

ok guys i have noticed last year when my plow is angled and it goes into a hard pile of snow it doesnt stay at an angle. I looked it up in the trouble shooting guide and it recommends to pull the pressure relief valves and clean them and reseat them. The only problem is i cant get the valve screws to budge. ANy suggestions on how to get these things removed.

thanks for any help
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Snap on set lls and extractor kit that has a set of tubular drilling guides to keep the drill in the center of the screw. This is critical because the screw is hard steel and the metal around it is soft aluminum. After getting a pilot hole in it then enlarge it to the biggest extractor size possible without hitting the threads then use the extractor to remove the remains of the screw. H ere is a link to snap on... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Western factory trained installer / mechanic.
Oh and I have a plow too... a 2005 Ford F550 with Western Wide-out
Owner / operator of a landscape equipment service shop. Yea, we fix plows and sanders.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 PM
2000 Club Member

Unless it is releasing to the point that it moves just pushing, I wouldn't touch it. It's supposed to release when it hits something hard, like a frozen bank.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

that's true, if it ain't broke then don't fix it! But if the blade is leaking back with a light load then the crossover relief valve is failing or miss-adjusted.

Western factory trained installer / mechanic.
Oh and I have a plow too... a 2005 Ford F550 with Western Wide-out
Owner / operator of a landscape equipment service shop. Yea, we fix plows and sanders.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishnick View Post
that's true, if it ain't broke then don't fix it! But if the blade is leaking back with a light load then the crossover relief valve is failing or miss-adjusted.
Your exactly right about that. Its leaking back with light load so i wanted to clean and adjust the crossover valve but cant get it to budge. Even tried spaying Liquid wrench and tapping on it with a big ass screww driver. Still no luck any suggestions guys
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Try and take the whole motor/pump assembly off the plow and lay it so the relief valve is pointing up, fill the entire hole liquid wrench and let it soak over night or until it seeps in. I would do this a few times.

Once you feel it has seeped it maybe you could try a small impact with a flat head tip. Sometimes the impacting motion can jolt it loose. If you strip it out then you will have to try the extractor kit.

Once you get it out put a small amount of anti seize on the new crossover releif valve, it will make it easier next time you have to take them out.

If you can live with it maybe I would because if you have to drill it out and screw the valve body up you will have to buy a new one and they don't give them away. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony350 View Post
Try and take the whole motor/pump assembly off the plow and lay it so the relief valve is pointing up, fill the entire hole liquid wrench and let it soak over night or until it seeps in. I would do this a few times.

Once you feel it has seeped it maybe you could try a small impact with a flat head tip. Sometimes the impacting motion can jolt it loose. If you strip it out then you will have to try the extractor kit.

Once you get it out put a small amount of anti seize on the new crossover releif valve, it will make it easier next time you have to take them out.

If you can live with it maybe I would because if you have to drill it out and screw the valve body up you will have to buy a new one and they don't give them away. Good luck!
All good advice, except I would use Seafoam/Deep Creep rather than Liquid Wrench. SF/DC is a far superior penetrant.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Have you checked your fluid? I know sometimes if ours leak fluid, they will move as described....Just a thought..
'01 F-250 Gas 8' Western
'99 F-250 Gas 8' Western

New Hollland L180 w/ 8' Protech IST Pusher