Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Chain Lift adjustment

Got my plow mounted and have a few questions. Got the plow back from the shop and the chains were not adjusted correctly. One side was loose while the other was tight. I looked at the install manual from Fisher's website. Seems that the lift ram should lift the plow all the way to the stops when it is fully extended (10"). At the moment my plow does not do this. Is that how you guys have your plows set up? What do you do with the extra lift chain links you don't use? Just let them dangle off the ubolts or cut them off?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 PM

My chain is tight on the passenger side u-bolt and there are 3 links hanging off the drivers side.I've always let them hang
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyzrule810 View Post
My chain is tight on the passenger side u-bolt and there are 3 links hanging off the drivers side.I've always let them hang
So you are only lifting the plow from the passenger side U bolt? On the V I think the links need to be equal number from the locked link down to the u bolts. Lots of stress on that lift frame.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM

no I don't have any extra links on the passenger side u-bolt just 3 extra on the drivers side.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM
2000 Club Member

I had two extra on one side on my plow until I cut them off.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I gotcha right. So, if I can't get the lift arm to max out perfectly when the plow hits the stops how should I set it? So it hits the stops before the piston stops? This plow is almost too f'ing fast. Feels like I'm in a carnival ride on my truck.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmankent View Post
I gotcha right. So, if I can't get the lift arm to max out perfectly when the plow hits the stops how should I set it? So it hits the stops before the piston stops? This plow is almost too f'ing fast. Feels like I'm in a carnival ride on my truck.
Just get it as close as you can. As far as I know, you don't necessarily have to max out the cylinder.

You think your plow moves fast, the central hydros on my truck get my plow moving almost violently. I've had to learn how to feather the valves instead of engaging them completely.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 AM
2000 Club Member

The chain should be stopping the ram when the a-frame hits the stacking stops. Both sides of the chain should have about the same tension on them.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I need a new chain. Chain has an even number of links. that is never going to work. It actually is hitting the stops, just one side. Does it before I get to the 10" ram length. Doesn't get it very far off the ground. Fuss, fuss, fuss.
What is the chain anyway? Grade 70, or is it higher grade for lifting? Probably could get it for less locally. Thanks, nick.

Last edited by oldmankent; 11-29-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:27 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmankent View Post
I need a new chain. Chain has an even number of links. that is never going to work. It actually is hitting the stops, just one side. Does it before I get to the 10" ram length. Doesn't get it very far off the ground. Fuss, fuss, fuss.
What is the chain anyway? Grade 70, or is it higher grade for lifting? Probably could get it for less locally. Thanks, nick.
If it's only hitting one side, then take a link out of the other side to get it to pull evenly.

As for getting it far off the ground, if it's hitting the stop, then that's where it will end up regardless of chain length.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

You dont really want the ram to lift the blade all the way up.
You want some slack in the chain so when the truck and plow go through a dip the blade will float..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM
2000 Club Member

[QUOTE=deicepro;1361271]

Edit................, Scratch that thought!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Cut a link out of my chain and lengthened the u bolts by putting nuts on the top and bottom. Much better. Can't believe previous owner was running it like that. Will adjusting the mount height of the plow and the T-lock angle create more or less play in the chain length? I really have to get this thing dialed in and mounted correctly.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicepro View Post
You dont really want the ram to lift the blade all the way up.
You want some slack in the chain so when the truck and plow go through a dip the blade will float..
NO NO NO!!!

You want the chain tight so the blade CANNOT float. You want the blade fixed to the truck so they move as a unit. If the blade is floating, it pounds very hard coming out of the frost heaves in February.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I think he meant when plowing. If the chain is too short and the plow follows the contour down the chain may bottom out and lift the plow off the surface. I get that when traveling the plow needs to be hard to the stops to prevent bouncing
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM

I have two issues, issue number one is when I picked my truck up from the dealer both chains weren't tight, there is a very little bit of slack on one side, the second issue is because my truck is slightlly lifted when I drop the blade to the ground there was vertually no room for float. My dealer called Fisher to see if they could obtain a chain with four extra links, two for each side, and they were told Fisher won't provide a longer chain, they recommended adding quick links to each side where it mounts to the plow frame to gain float. I have added one 3 1/2" 3500lb stainless quick link to both chains, however I haven't corrected the issue of one chain havin some slack. I also haven't put the blade back on the truck to see if there will be enouch ram length to hit the stops when i raise the plow, but I'm betting there won't be now. The odd thing is that Fisher recommends the main pin hole on the truck side mount to be 17-19" off the ground to get the correct attack angle etc. Mine was at 19 1/4... I'm just supprised that such a slight change in height had vertually eliminated my float, and now I have to figure out how to get both chains tight. Is it essential that the plow hit the stops when raised for transport? The slack on the one side is so slight if I remove a link then the other side will have slack, however it's not supporting any weight, are there any other ways to correct this issue? My dealer seamed to be content with all of the weight being supported by one chain and they told me rarely have they ever had both chains tight, one is always a little loose, obvious I'm not comftorable with that
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I've owned this plow for about two weeks and don't have much experience with it. But, I think you should count the number of links on your chain. You should have an odd number of links on your chain. The odd link in the middle should be the lift link. See if that is your problem. I also lengthened my u bolts slightly by putting nuts on the top of the angle iron and the bottom. You also don't need a fisher chain. It is a 5/16" grade 30 chain. Any hardware store should have that. And you can get it in galvanized.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
NO NO NO!!!

You want the chain tight so the blade CANNOT float. You want the blade fixed to the truck so they move as a unit. If the blade is floating, it pounds very hard coming out of the frost heaves in February.
I know what you are saying, but thats not what I meant
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I know. He didn't say whether he was talking about plowing or transporting.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM

With the extra link to allow enough float not the blade doesn't hit the stops, is this a concern for transporting or more of an issue with the ram fully extending, I know the meyer's have a tendancy to blow out, stop keeps the ram from fully extension it's not only preventing this but it's making the plow stable for transport. I'm not sure what to do