Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM

Hydraulic oil level

I have a new 8.2 VXT and this is my first plow. I had it out today and while checking everything over it appeared as though the hydraulic fluid was low with the plow in the straight position on the ground as per the manual. After topping it off with Boss oil I put it back in the garage and removed it from the truck when fluid began leaking out from under the hydraulic enclosure cover. I presume that it is coming from the fill cap but I am not sure what I should do now? I hooked the plow back up to the truck and re-checked the fluid and it looked low again, it is well below the recommended 3/4". Do I need to drain more fluid out of it? Do I leave it as is? Why can't I top the fluid off the the bottom of the elbow without it leaking out of the fill cap? Any info is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the newb questions.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by landheerj View Post
I have a new 8.2 VXT and this is my first plow. I had it out today and while checking everything over it appeared as though the hydraulic fluid was low with the plow in the straight position on the ground as per the manual. After topping it off with Boss oil I put it back in the garage and removed it from the truck when fluid began leaking out from under the hydraulic enclosure cover. I presume that it is coming from the fill cap but I am not sure what I should do now? I hooked the plow back up to the truck and re-checked the fluid and it looked low again, it is well below the recommended 3/4". Do I need to drain more fluid out of it? Do I leave it as is? Why can't I top the fluid off the the bottom of the elbow without it leaking out of the fill cap? Any info is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the newb questions.
Your plow should be in the vee position when you check the fluid level!!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicepro View Post
Your plow should be in the vee position when you check the fluid level!!
According to my owners manual it says that it should be in the straight position.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
According to my owners manual it says that it should be in the straight position.
May want to check that again. Your issue is being caused because you're filling it in the straight position.

The plow must be on the truck, on the ground and both wings fully retracted in order to get a proper fill. Any other position and it will be overfull thus push the excess fluid out the internal breather. Just like the situation you're having now.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
No surprise there, but at boss school they say vee position, that position is common sense....
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM

I can assure you that I do know how to read and that the manual states in the straight position. I was just doing as instructed by the manufacturer be it common sense or not. That being said, I checked in the v position and it still looked low, there is barely any in the bottom of the elbow. Should I add more? Did I or can I cause any harm to the pump res. by overfilling it?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I was saying that I was not shocked that the owners manual was wrong!
Just in the bottom of the elbow is perfect.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
I can assure you that I do know how to read and that the manual states in the straight position. I was just doing as instructed by the manufacturer be it common sense or not.
My point was to look at a prior revision manual, the current manuals are incorrect on the proper position for filling. It should read like this.

Quote:
That being said, I checked in the v position and it still looked low, there is barely any in the bottom of the elbow. Should I add more? Did I or can I cause any harm to the pump res. by overfilling it?
If it's low in the V position it needs fluid.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Only fill until you see fluid in the bottom of the elbow. If you fill it up to the top of the neck you have too much fluid and it will leak out of the breather cap.
07 GMC 2500HD 8'2" BOSS Poly VXT w/Poly Edges & BOSS wings
Bobcat S590 8'0" BOSS BX-8 Box Plow
Bobcat S250 8'0" BOSS Skid Steer TripEdge Blade w/BOSS Wings
SnowEx SP-7550 Spreader
SnowEx SP-8500 Spreader
Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45