Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM

won't go up

Ok so i look at the post on here to try to better prepare myself if something should happen to my plow that needs to be fixed and i think i know what the answer is but want a second opinion.
I have a Western unimount. I have been lowing with it for three years. It is in no way new, just new to me alittle still.
The plow will go left and right and down with no problem. The problem is going up. When I press the up lever the motor works and the piston will jerk and put tension on the chain but will not lift the plow. If i jack up the plow or take the chain off the piston will go up. It holds the plow up just fine without losing pressure.
I have changed the fluid and filter. Pushed the plow left and right while off the ground to bleed the lines and lifted and lowered the piston.
I don't have a pressure tester to test how much pressure is going to the lines. I think that that is the answer that you guys were going to say. Or to check the seals on the piston.
now when the piston is up it is hard to lower the piston by pushing on it. I have to jump on the thing to get it down and I weigh 200 lbs.
There are no leaks in the system at all.
Any help will be appreciated we are forcasted to get a northeaster in the northeast tomorrow. Nothing like waiting to the last min right.
thank you for your help.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 PM

I have been looking over the posts again and thein that it may be a bad pump. I think the motor is fine because it still works. Is there a chance that the motor would not put out enough power to turn the pump enough?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

You can usually hear it when the motor is weak. If it sounds normal chances are the motor is fine. There are two main sides to this situation: 1 as you suggested, there is not enough pressure being generated by the pump or 2 there is a restriction either blocking the pressure from getting to the ram or perhaps a physical restriction preventing the lift ram from moving. Since you don't have a pressure gauge I would check the gland nut and see if it is too tight. The gland nut can put a good deal of drag on the lift ram piston if it is too tight so try to loosen it and then see if the ram will lift. You could also try removing the lift chain from the blade, extend the lift ram and then hold the down button until it goes into float mode and finally try to push the lift ram back down. If it is too tight to push down then you have a drag problem but if it goes down easily you have a low pressure fault.

To test the motor I would try putting an ampmeter on it and test the current draw while trying to lift. I would expect to see about 80 amps.

Western factory trained installer / mechanic.
Used to own and run plows, now I just install & fix them...
Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Take a lttle blue pill! Sorry had to do it with that title
JD X720 w/ cab 54" front blade Fimco spreader
Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 PM

would the packing nut all of a sudden get tighter. the plow worked when i put it away last year.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshamper114 View Post
would the packing nut all of a sudden get tighter. the plow worked when i put it away last year.
I have had the one on my old plow do that
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

If you said you used it last week and it was fine then I wouldn't suggest it but sitting over the summer could do it. Perhaps there was some different fluid mixed into the reservoir? Adding Dexron or some other fluid (as some people will do in a pinch) can cause a reaction that causes the packing to swell. Or it could just be a bit of moisture that cause some rust. If your came to my shop I would test the pressure first but you said you don't have a gauge so I am suggesting secondary possibilities just to narrow it down to the obvious. But I have to admit that the blue pill thing is pretty funny. I wish I had thought of that... You gotta have a sense of humor on this site.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishnick View Post
If you said you used it last week and it was fine then I wouldn't suggest it but sitting over the summer could do it. Perhaps there was some different fluid mixed into the reservoir? Adding Dexron or some other fluid (as some people will do in a pinch) can cause a reaction that causes the packing to swell. Or it could just be a bit of moisture that cause some rust. If your came to my shop I would test the pressure first but you said you don't have a gauge so I am suggesting secondary possibilities just to narrow it down to the obvious. But I have to admit that the blue pill thing is pretty funny. I wish I had thought of that... You gotta have a sense of humor on this site.
Thank you!
JD X720 w/ cab 54" front blade Fimco spreader
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 AM

ok im going to try to loosen the nut first. I hope it dosent start to leak. I might even go buy a new pump. Lets see how it goes. I really hope that's the problem.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM

ok so i loosened the nut and no change. I went and bought a new pump and looked in the package. I noticed that there was an o ring that was in there nad i didnt remember if i had one(didnt know to look). Got home and noticed that there was not one there. Went to the hardware store and got a new one. I put it in now the plow goes up a little. It will go up some then if i left the plow up repediely it will go up all the way. still not the right way to do it. Any sugestions now?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM
PlowSite Veteran

Ok hope this will help.I have the exact same plow..I have a 7.6 unimout propoly,I encountered the same thing ayear ago..First Of all is Does your plow stay outside or garage kept.Anyway i sprayed the livin Cr@#%$%^P out of the Lift cylinder with PB BLASTER or WD 40 do this for a day or to and keep soaking the Cylinder packing nut .the one that goes around the lift cylinder .What happens in the stored position over the summer months the seal around the Cylinder drys out over time in the heat when not in use.After you Soak the SH@#$% out of it for a day or two the seal with rehydrate and allow your lift cylinder to move at ease again.Hope this helps good luck. Mishnak is awsome and knowledeable being he works for western if not Try a guy on here B&B on here he is also awsome...

06 Super Duty

"Life's tough enough and it's even tougher if you're "stupid "
Old 10-29-2011, 11:46 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Still sounds to me like you need the new pump. That o ring being left out will allow the pump pressure to bleed away but now that you have one in with the old pump it still won't go up unassisted. That tells me you probably have a bad pump or something plugging the drilling channel that takes the fluid from the pump to the valve body. I have seen pumps that were so clogged with gunk that they behaved like there was no pressure. To verify this you take the three bolts off that hold the valve body to the pump housing. Then you can just hit up, right or left on the control to activate the motor. But stand back cus the oil is going to fly out that hole and purge out any dirt. On the worst one I fixed the oil just dribbled out when I activated it. I had to pull the motor and pump and then blow air through while poking a piece of wire through to dislodge the gunk. That made a world of difference. But if your gallary is not plugged then put the new pump in. But make sure the o ring is in place under the pump as well as the three o rings behind the valve body, I forgot to mention those.