Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Opinions on Boss VXT Plow

For the people who have personally used the boss vxt plows. How do you like them? Do they hold up? Do they do a good job scraping things clean? Lets hear the goods and bads.

Also do you recommend the vxt over the standard flat top boss v plow? Anyone have wings for it also? How did they work and hold up? I want to install one on my 2002 chevy 2500HD crew cab short bed with the diesel. Would you recommend 8.2 or 9.2? Thats alot of weight for the truck. I know people do it. I did a search and read alot.

Thanks for any information you can supply.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM

I love mine. It does trip a decent amount, but most plows do. It does a great job stacking and easy easy to get on and off the truck. I have the 8.2 and its perfect for my 2500HD.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM
PlowSite Veteran

Well the guy I work for has all Boss vee plows and he just love the heck out of them. He has 1 VXT and 3 regular vee's all 8.5 or 8.2 what ever they are called. But in all seriousness what type of plowin do plan on doin commercial or residential or a combo of both. In my honest opinion if you do any Res at all 8.5 is big enough 9.5 is way to big to be doin drives. But if your doin like res/ condo lots then 9.5..A 7.6 or 8.5 is way more manuverable in spots verses a9.5 .As far as the wings go the are awsome but he says the rubber blade edge on the wings tends to chatter and sometimes skip,but other than that the move a lot of snow and stacking like said is HUGE. WE plow privat airplane hangers and terminals for a local airport down by me. They have regular equipt for the airport but the people whom own there own leir jets is who we do..He does say the VXT will throw snow way further than the regular one. Matter of fact he is going to get rid of the one regular vee and buyin another VXT and going to give me the other vee finally I cant wait. Hope this helps a littlte bit GOOD LUCK OH YAH almost forgot to mention they all mounted on F250 superduties 2 deisel and one gasser

06 Super Duty

"Life's tough enough and it's even tougher if you're "stupid "

Last edited by DIRISHMAN; 07-14-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM

There are a bunch of real world user reviews in this BOSS section that you may wish to read.
VXT poly is the only way to go ... I don't even know why they still make the flat top.
If I had to buy another new plow this season there is zero doubt it would be another 9'2" VXT poly. I would never waste my money on an 8'2" either ... regardless of the type of plowing. In this case, bigger is better. If you plow any curves of any kind ... need to break trail in v mode ... or plan to use the plow in scoop mode ... you will regret buying an 8'2". The 9'2" is a perefect size plow for a 2500 ... 8'2" is too small unless you plan on wings ... imeo.
2006 Ram 2500 CTD ... Gone
Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
There are a bunch of real world user reviews in this BOSS section that you may wish to read.
VXT poly is the only way to go ... I don't even know why they still make the flat top.
If I had to buy another new plow this season there is zero doubt it would be another 9'2" VXT poly. I would never waste my money on an 8'2" either ... regardless of the type of plowing. In this case, bigger is better. If you plow any curves of any kind ... need to break trail in v mode ... or plan to use the plow in scoop mode ... you will regret buying an 8'2". The 9'2" is a perefect size plow for a 2500 ... 8'2" is too small unless you plan on wings ... imeo.
This is what i wanted to know. I mostly plow auto zone,wendys,arbys,dr.office's,occasional airport runway and around airplane hangers. A couple driveways. Some places have curbs to work around so i dont want to use wings again actually. The rubber wing edges wear out to fast. I would rather have the curb guards and be able to scoop. This is why i want to goto a vplow from a straight blade wwith buyers wings.
Also when i plow the runway sometimes i really need to be able to windrow the snow high and far. This is why i thought the vxt over the flat top plow. And i was really worried that the 8.2 would be to narrow in scoop and v. It sounds like the 9.2 is the way to go. My current straight is almost 10 feet wide with the wings. I hate to go smaller. Im afraid i might hate the productivity...

But why do you like the poly over the steel? I would like to hear real world replys on this.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM
PlowSite Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxPowered View Post
This is what i wanted to know. I mostly plow auto zone,wendys,arbys,dr.office's,occasional airport runway and around airplane hangers. A couple driveways. Some places have curbs to work around so i dont want to use wings again actually. The rubber wing edges wear out to fast. I would rather have the curb guards and be able to scoop. This is why i want to goto a vplow from a straight blade wwith buyers wings.
Also when i plow the runway sometimes i really need to be able to windrow the snow high and far. This is why i thought the vxt over the flat top plow. And i was really worried that the 8.2 would be to narrow in scoop and v. It sounds like the 9.2 is the way to go. My current straight is almost 10 feet wide with the wings. I hate to go smaller. Im afraid i might hate the productivity...

But why do you like the poly over the steel? I would like to hear real world replys on this.
To answer your last question.....a poly moldboard has many benefits like; no rusting, snow rolls and slips off much better. The rust issue would probably be the biggest benefit. It only ways 10lb more than a steel plow so to me its a no brainer.

Proud supporter of Snow care for Troops

SIMA Member

06 F250 SD w/8.6 Fisher Extreme V
05 F350 SD Powerstroke flat bed w/8.6 Fisher Extreme V w/Fisher wings
NewHolland LX665 Turbo w/8ft BOSS skid steer plow & wings
Dresser 510C loader w/BOSS BX12
DownEaster 2yrd poly V box w/35 gallon pre treat system
300 gallon electric liquid system
300 gallon gravity liquid system
Ariens and TORO snow blowers
....and a few subs
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

I wish I could find the picture of the snow stuck to this guys plow. If the only reason to buy poly is to have the snow slide off easier that is reason enough. I have run poly plows since 2000. I had 2 Western V's that were steel and that is because the poly were out of stock.

Get the 9'2" and take it off when you don't need it. They go on and off so quick there is no need to leave it on. I have Western, Blizzard and Boss. The next plow I buy will be a Boss poly V. If you need to throw the snow a long way then the VXT will do that for you.

I got mine from ESI. They are great to deal with and installing 1 on your truck is very easy. GM has to be the easy of the big 3.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Sponsor

Yes, the new Chevys 11+ no drilling is required for the mount Thanks for the kind words Chris

You can also text us- TEXT SNOW TO 27126
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...light=ultimate

This is what I was talking about.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
What he said. I found my 9' 2" was the perfect size for driveways in fact. Just go one pass and done. Remember, it shrinks to 8' 3" in scoop mode.

Not to mention that the XT holds more snow and throws snow farther.

-Blizzard Plow technician referring to ground clearance issues when mounting Blizzard plows on GM trucks.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

We run 9'2" on our kodiaks plow alot of HOA and commercial lots with them... Work great
Especially in our sub divisons we plow we just convoy the whole way through (3) GMC 4500's
get them done pretty quick. And they are nice because if you get some good speed you can shoot the snow PRETTY Far up the median/ yards. also stacking is great. But as with any Boss plow they are great plows!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM

I have an 8'2" ploy vxt and love the plow it throws the snow alot farther than a regular v. Would never go back or go with different brand so easy to put on yourself.