Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Western Moldboard Refurbish

I just purchased a 2000 F250 Super Duty with an 8' Western Pro straight blade plow. The moldboard was solid, but a lot of the paint is peeling and there is some surface rust where it is missing. The truck is in excellent condition, and so I hate to put such an ugly blade on it. That and I would rather not have to weld up holes in the future.

So what is the best way to go about this? Should I blast it clean and repaint, or just grind the rust, prime the bare spots and repaint? Can I get the decals on the back of the moldboard from Western?

Also, once it is painted, is there anything I can put on it to keep it from getting so bad in the future? I only use this for my driveway, so I am not out there killing this thing all winter. Thanks for the help
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the money, do it right. Take it all apart, get it blasted. The prime and paint. I add some enamel hardner to the paint when I do it spray or brush.
After than...keep it clean. Wash it whenever you can after you plow.
Unfortunately the nature of the business will have rust back on your plow eventually.....however I can show you my uni-mount that looks almost brand new. I have painted the frame work once in 11 years....my only trick is washing it as soon as I can after every snow.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 AM

The washing part is tough since I live on a dirt road, so even just driving my stuff is dirty. I was wondering if there is a vinyl wrap that I can put on the board to keep the chips down. My pump is in good shape, and the plow frame is decent. The board is my only real concern since it is so visible, and more susceptible to rust-through. I will probably paint the bracket on the truck here soon since that has some surface rust too
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Ever thought about converting it to a poly?
Cut the skin out and replace with a western poly skin.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 PM

I put a poly skin on my Unimount. I got it from Northern Tool. I think it was about $50 or $60. It made the plow look new, and the snow rolls off of it ALOT easier.

kevlars

Here is a link to it:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1800_200321800

2000 Ford F250 SD 7.3 PSD X Cab Long Bed Hiniker 8 1/2' V plow

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins QCLB-- Hiniker 8 1/2' V-Plow....Now for sale!

1981 Volkswagen Caddy (Rabbit Pickup) DIESEL No plow YET!

Last edited by kevlars; 05-01-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

When I refurbish a plow I give three options, the best is to sandblast and then have it powder coated (this is a backed on finish that cost a bit more but lasts the longest) second option is Endura industrial paint, we use the same on gravel truck boxes and it lasts quite well; you can buy it everywhere and spray it yourself, comes in many colours and lasts very well on plows. The last option is to blast and paint with regular two component automotive finish. In all three cases complete dissasembly and sandblasting is standard. Priming before paint is recommended but not essential if you use good paint. You can buy the original decals from Western, they used to be free but recently they have started charging for them, still they are worth it just to make the unit look like a new plow rather than an amature restoration.

Western factory trained installer / mechanic.
Oh and I have a plow too... a 2005 Ford F550 with Western Wide-out
Owner / operator of a landscape equipment service shop. Yea, we fix plows and sanders.