Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM

2011 F-150 Boss plow?

The plow selection on boss's webpage does not allow a 2011 f-150 to pick a plow. What is the cause? GVWR? front axle rating? or too new of a truck ? no system made yet?
Will they make one for next winter?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Ford no longer makes a snow plow prep package for the F150. They have switched to an electric power steering unit, which will not allow a plow to be used. The new steering system is on all F150's except the trucks with the 6.2 V8 engine. That engine is only available on the supercrews or raptor trucks. If you want to buy a Lariat Supercrew and order the 6.2 engine, you can use an 09/10 mount for the F150 to put a plow on it. You may have to beef up the front end a little. That is the only way to put a plow on the F150 for 2011. Maybe in the future Ford might come up with something to allow a plow to be put on, but I doubt it. No plow dealer will put a plow on a new 2011 F150.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
2000 Club Member

It has to do with what JK-Plow said. The front end isn't designed to plow. You could put a sport duty plow on the front which is a lot lighter. But with a electronic power steering unit I wouldn't plow with it unless you are doing just your driveway.
47 Dual stage blower
54 Blade converted to a push box

My Ebling- http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=109569

My you tube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/Fireguy1020?feature=mhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRONKEMA GHTFD View Post
UM
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM

The ONLY reason you can't put a plow onto a 11 F150 is the steering. Ford's new EPAS isn't capable of handling the weight. Heck, the EPAS is so weak it must be deactivated before you do any steering or suspension work. So, if you plan on adding a leveling kit or doing any work where you would hit a tie rod end or ball joint with a hammer. You had better kill the power to the steering if you don't want to trash it.

Other then this STUPID EPAS, the front suspenion on the 11 F150 is essentially identical to the previous body style and I put many hard miles of plowing and other work on my 07 without ever changing a ball joint or tie rod.

Ford is handing over their Built Ford Tough bragging rights by building a F150 that can't even handle a lightweight Homesteader. Heck, the old Ranger handles those with no problem.

Oh, by the way, In case you can't tell, I am a PISSED off 11 F150 owner. Had I known that all plow manufacturers had given up on the F150. I would have bought something else. Thanks Ford...
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 PM

stock f-150s cant handle the weight of a v plow
Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Sponsor

Another issue is the eco boost, the intake is located up front in the bumper for the turbo

You can also text us- TEXT SNOW TO 27126
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2205 View Post
The ONLY reason you can't put a plow onto a 11 F150 is the steering. Ford's new EPAS isn't capable of handling the weight. Heck, the EPAS is so weak it must be deactivated before you do any steering or suspension work. So, if you plan on adding a leveling kit or doing any work where you would hit a tie rod end or ball joint with a hammer. You had better kill the power to the steering if you don't want to trash it.

Other then this STUPID EPAS, the front suspenion on the 11 F150 is essentially identical to the previous body style and I put many hard miles of plowing and other work on my 07 without ever changing a ball joint or tie rod.

Ford is handing over their Built Ford Tough bragging rights by building a F150 that can't even handle a lightweight Homesteader. Heck, the old Ranger handles those with no problem.

Oh, by the way, In case you can't tell, I am a PISSED off 11 F150 owner. Had I known that all plow manufacturers had given up on the F150. I would have bought something else. Thanks Ford...
I'm in the same boat...was always a Chevy man. Read about the Eco boost and all the torque and sold my H2 (better fuel economy and have better pulling) and was going sell my plow truck. Looks like that's not happening now,because the Ford can't handle it. I would never have thought about that in a million years, hell I've hung a plow off of S-10"s and Rangers. Plus I can't get no where near the mileage their talking about. Highest so far on a trip last weekend Chi town - Nashville was 16.6 mpg

Pulling capabilities = Not sure yet
Fuel economy = Nope
Plowing = Nope
Strobe lights front & rear
Rear back up camera with hitch lights

Owner:
Auto repair/Audio/Tire/Custom fabrication shop
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM

FYI - for what it's worth, SnoWay has been touting that they are the only plow mfg to have a plow for the '11 F150's. Their 26 series is listed as available.
BRING ON THE SNOW!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 PM

Snoway can be put on some new F150, however if you have the Eco-boost engine, it can't be put on yet. Even though Snoway shows their plow on an F150 with an Eco-boost emblem on the side, they state that it will not fit on the truck. They are working on a solution and may have it worked out now. The problem is with the air intake for the turbo charger being placed where its at. Also if you have an F150 with the electronic steering, good luck. Have had my Ford in the shop several times, including the replacement of the electronic power steering unit. A lot of electrical problems. With so many computers in the new vehicles that Ford makes, I don't know if I will ever buy another one.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Plow View Post
If you want to buy a Lariat Supercrew and order the 6.2 engine, you can use an 09/10 mount for the F150 to put a plow on it. You may have to beef up the front end a little. That is the only way to put a plow on the F150 for 2011. Maybe in the future Ford might come up with something to allow a plow to be put on, but I doubt it. No plow dealer will put a plow on a new 2011 F150.
I will install a plow on the 2011 (2012) ford F150. I have mounts in stock. I don't have a ecco-boost mount in stock but they are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@esitrucks View Post
Another issue is the eco boost, the intake is located up front in the bumper for the turbo
Snoway has a mount for te ecco-boost that allows for the ecco-boost intake. There are a number that have been installed and used without issue.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM

It's good to see they finally got the mount out. I know they were working on one, as the web site said they were. They just need to update their site. Where I live we used to have Snoway dealers all over, now there is a very limited number of dealers. One dealer (a John Deere Dealer) got bought out and I don't know if they will keep Snoway. They are keeping their Boss line.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 PM

When SnoWay released the 26 series Ford released a bulletin saying the electrical system was designed so that it uses minimal electric power that the EPS system does not kick out.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM

you CAN put a plow on an F150 up to 2010 however. Its only the ones with electric power steering with the issues.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Here is a link to the SVE Bulletin (Q-200R1) issued by Ford addressing the mounting of Snow Plows on 2011-2012 F-150's. BOSS is merely adhering to Fords recommendation.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-200R1.pdf
www.bossplow.com
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@esitrucks View Post
So could a boss mount be fabricated around it or modify the intake, anything aftermarket?

My father who always plows for us is selling us his 06 f150 and likely getting a 2011+ soon, been trying to convince him into a F250/350 but then its a hard sell intoa 1 ton gas truck and he doesnt really want a diesel or a 50k+ truck, the whole diesel option is overpriced now days plus the DEF fluid turns him off too. Would be a waste for him to drive in for plowing to take one of our trucks "or his old truck" with a new/er 40k+ truck sitting there the whole time. Even if you could get a 7'6" standard on it would suffice.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
2000 Club Member

Search the Snoway site for the eco-boost install and compare it to the Boss.

Snoway has a kit for the 2011 F-150 and F-150 eco-boost and is listing it as a excepted fit.

We have installed one it does fit without issue.

The other issue is the electrical power steering concerns which Snoway' EIS wiring has addressed. My understanding is Snoway is taking on the liability by listing this unit as an acceptable fit

There are a number of Ecoboost's that pushed snow using the Snoway system last season without issue.

So If Snoway uses a spacer system with their standard 2011 F-150 mount for the ecoboost that works it could be possible to space a boss mount also. Proper cooling of the intracooler is a BIG issue, so maintaining airflow is critical.

You will not get support out of Ford and I'm sure Boss is restricted from assisting you directly simply for liability issues, so you'll be on your own.

Let us know if and how it works if you do you do.