Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
  #1  
Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
DellDoug's Avatar
DellDoug DellDoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 410
Avalanche salt spreader protype

Last month one of our Air-flo salters (electric drive) developed a problem and we had to order a new controller. The wait time for the part was about a month. We have been doing some R&D work for Avalanche with their new snow pusher (The Trip-lock) and I was speaking with Gino and told him about my problem. He suggested we try one of his new salter units out and give him some feedback. The thing that makes this unit interesting is that rather then have a chain drive ithe floor it has an Auger system that runs front to back. I must say it works very nice. There is no salt loss infront of the salter as with a chain drive. The quality seems top notch and it works very efficiently. I would say we using about 5-8% less salt to do the same job as the airflow. Here is the link from Avalanche's website for anyone interested.

http://www.ledexindustries.com/produ...preader-G3.php

BTW: This unit has the loudest and most powerful vibrator unit I have ever used.
__________________
Dell Services Toronto

Member of SIMA since December 2008.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
musclecarboy's Avatar
musclecarboy musclecarboy is offline
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellDoug View Post
Last month one of our Air-flo salters (electric drive) developed a problem and we had to order a new controller. The wait time for the part was about a month. We have been doing some R&D work for Avalanche with their new snow pusher (The Trip-lock) and I was speaking with Gino and told him about my problem. He suggested we try one of his new salter units out and give him some feedback. The thing that makes this unit interesting is that rather then have a chain drive ithe floor it has an Auger system that runs front to back. I must say it works very nice. There is no salt loss infront of the salter as with a chain drive. The quality seems top notch and it works very efficiently. I would say we using about 5-8% less salt to do the same job as the airflow. Here is the link from Avalanche's website for anyone interested.

http://www.ledexindustries.com/produ...preader-G3.php

BTW: This unit has the loudest and most powerful vibrator unit I have ever used.
Seems like a smart design. What size unit do you have? 1.38 yards seems small to me, even for a 1 ton pickup.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
wizardsr's Avatar
wizardsr wizardsr is offline
PlowSite.com Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Posts: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarboy View Post
Seems like a smart design. What size unit do you have? 1.38 yards seems small to me, even for a 1 ton pickup.
Kinda what I was thinking. The 8' airflo is 1.8yd...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 PM
JD Dave's Avatar
JD Dave JD Dave is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Caledon, Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,278
I have seen a few home built spreaders made with augers and I love that they don't don't drop salt under or in front of your box. The only problem with them is they are more prone to freezing. I'm guessing you guys used this for a sidewalk application?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
There will be an all knowing young kid to say otherwise but trust me, you dont want to run these with a vbox
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Triple L's Avatar
Triple L Triple L is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 5,320
The auger design sucks if you do any sand and it sounds like a lot guys say they don't put out enough volume... I've never had that issue but in massive area's I could see it being an issue...

What's their website say, 20 minutes or something to drop off a yard... That's quite a long time if you think about it...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Avalanche Avalanche is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 69
spreader capacities

Guys,
Just to update you on the spreader options, the unit Doug used this winter was the 1.4 cu/yd unit with a low profile. The other sizes available are 2, 3 and 4.5 cu/yd respectively, available in stainless steel and poly.
We'll post more details and pictures later in the spring as well as some video.
Please feel free to post any questions, we'll try to answer them.
__________________
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
DellDoug's Avatar
DellDoug DellDoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 410
Hi sorry to take so long getting back to everyone. I have been a little pre-occupied. Anyhow to answer your questions:

1) Small? ....yes this unit was a little smaller then we would have liked but in all thanks to Avalanche they came through for us when one of our larger airflows broke down and the parts were a few weeks away. They offered to help us out.

2) This unit although small is efficent and we found it used less salt in most applications then some of our other slide in salters. We used it in parking lots and it did a great job. Very little waste and one heck of an external vibrator.

3) The external vibrator seemed to keep the freezing problems away. Although the one time we tried to run it without the vibrator it did freeze up. As long as the vibrator is running it never freezes.

All in all to sum it up we found it worked well, to be very efficent and of very high quality. We think its a good option for anybody looking for a slide in pickup truck style salter
__________________
Dell Services Toronto

Member of SIMA since December 2008.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
DeVries's Avatar
DeVries DeVries is online now
PlowSite.com Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grimsby Ontario
Posts: 1,399
Good to see the unit worked out for you. I am in the market for another unit but in the 3-4 yard size. Any idea if they will come out with a larger unit?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
DellDoug's Avatar
DellDoug DellDoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVries View Post
Good to see the unit worked out for you. I am in the market for another unit but in the 3-4 yard size. Any idea if they will come out with a larger unit?
Avalanche made a post earlier in this thread stating they have a 3 yd and 4.5 yd unit. Maybe check out their website to see exactly what is available?
__________________
Dell Services Toronto

Member of SIMA since December 2008.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2012 PlowSite.comô Moose River Media
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Page generated in 0.03248 seconds with 7 queries