Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Picking a plow for a 2010 Toyota Tundra

Im trying to decide on a plow for a 2010 Toyota Tundra, 4X4 5.7L V8. I've been plowing for about 9 years in a truck and a few years before that in a bobcat. Ive always used Western Plows but I was wondering what everyone thinks about the best plow for this truck. I've seen ALOT of Tundras with Fischer Plows. I've done some reading and heard that I might need to put a lift/leveling kit on the truck so its not dipping real bad with the plow on. Thanks for all the info!

Scott
Plainfield, IL
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 7.5' Fisher SD on my Tundra. It works realy well and it's a good combination. I think if I was going to do it again I would go with the 7.5' Fisher HD instead of the SD. But, the SD is a very good plow. If you go with Wester the Midweight is a good choise for a Tundra. You should stay away from the Fisher HT and the Western HTS. They are very light duty IMO. If you have any more questions just ask.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for all the info!! I think I would lean towards a Western since its what Ive always used. Did you have to put a lift kit on your front end?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Scott,

I have an identically equipt truck, provided yours is a double cab with the TRD SR5 package. I have an 8' Western Pro Ultramount. Its a great combination and the truck has no problem handeling it at all. The Ultramount has large truck side recievers on the frame to hitch the plow to, and the front end of the Tundra is reletively low slung so I did have to put a leveling kit on it to lift the front end up about 2.5". The truck doesn't squate much at all. Never did. It was just low slung to begin with. I recommend you stay with a Western since its by far the most popular plow in our area (I'm from Bolingbrook, practaically neighbors!). Although, the Blizzard is gaining popularity and Tim Wallace on Boughton sells and services them too. Just my two cents.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spucel View Post
Thanks for all the info!! I think I would lean towards a Western since its what Ive always used. Did you have to put a lift kit on your front end?
No it's just the stock front end. I'm still thinking about a 3" front and 1" rear leveling kit becouse the push plates are only 7" off the ground.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Mercer do you ever have problems bottoming out? Mine were only 6" from the ground and after scraping a couple of parking bumbers and bottoming out on steep driveway entrances/exits (with out the plow on) I decided it was time to install the lift kit.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow patrol View Post
Mercer do you ever have problems bottoming out? Mine were only 6" from the ground and after scraping a couple of parking bumbers and bottoming out on steep driveway entrances/exits (with out the plow on) I decided it was time to install the lift kit.
My push plates have hit a few times up on logging roads in Northern Maine (with the plow off). But, I have never hit any thing hard with the push plates.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Snow patrol...we are neighbors! Who do you plow for? Yea we have the same truck...I agree with the western, I was hoping people would recommend it for my truck. How much did the leveling kit run for the truck? Ive done a lot with Tim Wallace and planned on going back to him.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Snow patrol...we are neighbors! Who do you plow for? Yea we have the same truck...I agree with the western, I was hoping people would recommend it for my truck. How much did the leveling kit run for the truck? Ive done a lot with Tim Wallace and planned on going back to him.
I own my own company, CSI. You'll be happy with the Western. its a great combo. If you're unsure you're welcome to take mine for a test drive before you make your decision. Just let me know. I purchased mine at Tim Wallace also. Tim is a real nice guy as are all the guys working there, always willing to help.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM

That would be great, I would really like to sit it one with a plow and see what it looks like. Any links on the leveling kit you bought?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
That would be great, I would really like to sit it one with a plow and see what it looks like. Any links on the leveling kit you bought?
Busy hauling and relocating snow today. Send me a PM and I'll get you my number. I'll have to look up where I purchased the leveling kit from and get back to you with the info. Later!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM

I cant send PM yet, (815)258-0234 is my number. No rush on the leveling kit, just curious. I wish I could find someone to haul snow with on my days off from the Firehouse...I hate sitting home when theres money that I can make!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 PM

I am in the same boat I bought a 2010 tundra double cab with the 6.5 bed and the 5.7l motor. I am trying to figure out what kind of plow i should get the fisher dealer recommended the ht series and I am a little worried that it is a little to light duty for what i want. I do a few drive ways and a bunch of commerical propertys any ideas guys?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM

Hey JTK324, I live approx. 30 minutes from you and I am thinking of selling the plow off my 2011 Tundra doublecab TRD. It is a 1 year old 7'6" Curtis. I like the plow a lot but I want to go back to a ATV with a plow. I use it to plow my driveway and the ATV was just more manueverable. If you want to take a look at it, you can call me at (508) 574-0888.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Yea hedgehog but I'm more of a fisher guy how does your truck handle the wait of that Curtis
Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Hey JTK324, I live approx. 30 minutes from you and I am thinking of selling the plow off my 2011 Tundra doublecab TRD. It is a 1 year old 7'6" Curtis. I like the plow a lot but I want to go back to a ATV with a plow. I use it to plow my driveway and the ATV was just more manueverable. If you want to take a look at it, you can call me at (508) 574-0888.
Out of curiosity what are you looking to get for it and any pics?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 AM

I bought it brand new last year for $4000 cash and carry. They are going for $4400 installed. I would probably take $3,000. I tried uploading pictures but I am having a problem. Give me your email address and I'll try sending them to you directly.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM

The leveling kit is a good idea, because the factory rake is steep.Its only to help with plow frame clearance, the factory springs are fine for a plow app, the leveling kit will stiffen the front end some.Revtek makes a awesome leveling kit that preloads both upper and lower portions of the spring, which if better for suspension travel.We run a Boss 7.5 Super duty with wings great combo @ approx 800lbs, no problems.

www.SheridanIrrigation.com
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Email is a98legacy@ ya ho o .com
Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 AM

AHSnowplowing, is there a (a) in front of 98 and does there need to be the spaces in yahoo? I attempted several times yesterday to email you pictures and it kept getting kicked back. You can call me at (508) 574-0888 for more details.