Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Plow blade material

What are snow plow blades made out of? What type of steel, hardness ect. I'm going to look into having some built. I have a Western 7-1/2 foot blade that I had to replace the lower edge and also the angle iron it mounted to. I installed a thicker blade than what came off it and may have access to a source of reasonably priced steel. Turns out the husband of the lady that owns a store I plowed this past week is a salesman for a steel company. I also have a place local, that if I can get the steel at the right price, then I'm going to see what I can get the holes punch in it for to see if it's cost effective. I'm thinking AR plate would work and might hold up to the abuse but I'm not sure. I need to find out the metalurology of what the OEM is and then see what the steel experts think.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Are you talking about the skin of the plow or the cutting edge? I am sure the skin of the plow is just
A36 steel. The cutting edge is something different, I make my own and just buy "wear edge steel". Thats what the steel place I get my stock from calls it, seems to last just as long as the stock western one.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Blade material

Yes, the cutting edge. What is the blade really made out of? I'm wondering if AR plate is harder and will last longer. I'll ask about Wear Edge and see if they understand that. I've seen some of the larger blades that you can get with a Carbide insert made into them.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM

I am sure the carbide would last longer but it is probably very spendy. You could also check for a product called hardox, I used to build buckets for heavy equipment right out of welding school, that is what they used for all of their high wearing surfaces.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

the place that I got my last cutting edges sold me 5/8 High Carbon Steel with a edge on it. I drilled the holes for mounting with a titanimun drill bit and drill press.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Forget carbide. It would cost you thousands and while carbide is extremely hard and wear resistant you wouldn't make it 2 feet before the blade chipped and/or shattered. It is extremely brittle when compared to mild steel.

I made that above statement based on my use of carbide in my machine shop. One little oops while moving a carbide tool bit and it chips. You may be able to get a different grade of carbide for a plow blade, but I still think that it would be sketchy considering that a wear bar, by design, is made to dig in and not just slide like a carbide wear bar on a snow mobile ski.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM

I don't now about thousands. I did some checking and found a state that did testing on plow plades with carbide inserts that come made into the lower cutting egde. Basicly they said they lasted longer and held up better than the ones without them but that manhole covers were hard on them at speed. I'd just like to know what grade of steel and hardness the OEM are, then try some better quality steel and see if it's cost effective.

Last edited by TheEquineFencer; 01-30-2011 at 06:23 PM.