Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM

860 speed wing is not what i expected

well..the first storm with the new plow and it didn't go well....after 5 hours the plow broke down..i am not sure if the cable sheared which popped the c clamp of which made the molded board separate from the lift frame or if the c clamp pope which made the molded board separate from the lifting frame and then shear the cable...i was able to re aline the molded board and put the collar back in ..and i used a bolt to keep the collar from walking out...if there is a DD rep on here please give me some feed back because as of rite now i am not happy with it....it did a good job up until it broke...but i need stuff to work...here are the pics
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM

nex

also the wing is sloppy and bent...very disappointed .....in need to be redesigned if you want to call it heavy duty
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM
2000 Club Member

What did you hit?
Boss SmartHitch 1100 Tailgate Spreader
Bobcat S650 / Snow Wolf Ultra 120
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM

it was a speed bump in one of the parking lots...but i don't know when it happen the collar after the C clamp came off walked out of the molded board...i found it on the other end of the cable..lucky it was still there because i was able to get it back in..
Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 PM
2000 Club Member

Sorry it happened, everything is fixable. Just a PITA I know.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:27 PM

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uur2El-eswg
Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsgmc View Post
it was a speed bump in one of the parking lots...but i don't know when it happen the collar after the C clamp came off walked out of the molded board...i found it on the other end of the cable..lucky it was still there because i was able to get it back in..
You should probably delete that post before someone from DD sees it. You hit a speed bump at speed. That can be considered abuse and not covered under warranty. Sorry. Plows are meant to plow flat spots, hitting a curb(speed bump) at full force will break things on any plow. You need to pay more attention to your lots.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM

who said i was speeding......i do this lot all the time and i do know it...look up the 860 speed wing and watch the video.....they have to live up to the quality they claim....beside i don't know when it happen thats when i noticed it.....
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM
2000 Club Member

A little bit of research on the SpeedWings shows that they are prone to these types of issues (the cable and the wing). I have not seen the pivot pins breaking, but I'm sure they are related. Search for the thread created by "AlaskaBoss" about his speedwing and the upgrades that he does at the advice of Jerre Heyer.

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS
1980 John Deere 317 - Vanguard Repower, 49 Snow Thrower, 3-point hitch, lots of weight
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD Sold
1991 Chevy Silverado 4x4 SFA Sold

Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM

i read all the post by Alaskaboss and the mods....but when you buy a plow brand new and 5 hours into the storm you brake down at 2 am ...there are no welders or fabricators around and the dealer hasn't answer his phone in 2 days,and your lots need cleaning you tend to get discourage .....i got the plow march 2010and this was the first time i got to use it...I had a myers 7.6 with pro wings that worked well but i wanted wings that would angle and this plow is perfect i just need to do some mods and spend more money......
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsgmc View Post
i read all the post by Alaskaboss and the mods....but when you buy a plow brand new and 5 hours into the storm you brake down at 2 am ...there are no welders or fabricators around and the dealer hasn't answer his phone in 2 days,and your lots need cleaning you tend to get discourage .....i got the plow march 2010and this was the first time i got to use it...I had a myers 7.6 with pro wings that worked well but i wanted wings that would angle and this plow is perfect i just need to do some mods and spend more money......
And you need a backup plan... as in another plow and truck for just this type of thing. You gotta be able to carry on or your customers will carry on without you.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 PM

no i know....i should stress that i am a sub for a guy that i work for for some years now......we have a lot of equipment..so the job will get done...but i need my stuff to work
Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear that. The SpeedWing is an incredible design that I wish more brands would imitate, but I hate to hear that they have some problems.

-Blizzard Plow technician referring to ground clearance issues when mounting Blizzard plows on GM trucks.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon View Post
Sorry to hear that. The SpeedWing is an incredible design that I wish more brands would imitate, but I hate to hear that they have some problems.
I agree... and I wish Blizzard would step up and fix the small issues that they do have, the worst of which is the cable weakness. (or at least make them affordable.)

docsgmc, I noticed that you're running barefoot... I know this to be the norm with us seasoned plowers, but for some reason my SW breaks cables faster without shoes.JMO.
IknowIknow... it backdrags like crap with shoes.... it's just an observation, mines an '07 and still on it's first motor, pump,control,solenoid, lights etc. The only problems I've had was with the ^&tty cables and and an A frame weld that was covered under warrantee. Blew my first hose on it last month. Those issues that you have do not render the plow useless for the rest of the push, (lucky you had a bolt) You can drop in the pins and lock out your wings and plow like a straightblade thru the push and get all fixed up at the dealer when you're done. Hope you have better luck next time out, .................................................................................................... .......................and that Blizzard is paying attention to the customers that think they have a good product but know there is room for improvement.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM

i stoped by the dealer today..he said he is going to try and help me out....he can see there was no abuse and that to C clamp jumped ship wich caused all my problems...if you look at where the cable broke its inline with the collar that walked out on me....it funny you mentioned the shoes ...i was going to put them on do to the fact that the cutting edge wore down so fast

Last edited by docsgmc; 12-29-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM

there is a very big possibility that the plow was put together wrong right from the start......there are a lot of loose nuts and bolts including the cutting edge bolts....now what are they going to say about there install we shall see....but i would hate to bad mouth the plow if it was the install that was the problem..

Last edited by docsgmc; 12-30-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
2000 Club Member

You already did bad mouth the plow.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM

I watched your video. The loose wings right after install makes me think it was a bad install to begin with. The broken cable is abuse plowing. I have had mine speedwing for 2 years now and not a single problem yet. It is also on a F350 with 2 tons of salt in the vbox. The wing bent like that since it was loose from the beginning. Talk to the dealer and see what happens. O ya dont smash speed bumps either. I have a few lots that have them and I have crushed an 810 and my lp a few times by being stupid.

To much "equipment" to list .....
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlooklandscp View Post
The broken cable is abuse plowing. I have had mine speedwing for 2 years now and not a single problem yet. It is also on a F350 with 2 tons of salt in the vbox. The wing bent like that since it was loose from the beginning.
I think the cable broke cause the retainer ring fell off the plow pivot bushing, and the bushing walked out, when this happens it severs the cable 90% of the time.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:44 PM

I think this thread needs to be renamed , it's not an 860sw. It's the totally new DD 8600. My michigan made 860sw is heading into it's 5th season and knock on wood it's never let me down. I have only changed fluid and edges. My motor acted up once due to corrosion after a cleaning it's fine and I now have a spare on the shelf. This thread shouldn't say disappointed in the speed wing ,it should say disappointed in my dealer. I hope you can get everything worked out and repaired soon. I can tell you that my sw has taken some hard hits in it's life and it's still going strong. I do keep all of the moving parts coated in fluid film(not sure if that helps). I personally feel it's tougher than the 810 I had before this. As said above when things do break short of tearing a wing off you can just pin up the wings. I am going to replace my truck after this season and figured on putting a new 8600sw on it. I haven't looked at one in person to compare it with mine but I was hoping they were good plows. After you get all fixed up keep us posted on how the plow performs.

Good luck , shaun