Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2010, 10:34 AM

Can you put a plow on 88 F-350 Diesel 2 Wheel Drive Dump

Every plow manufacture site I go to says Ford does not recommend putting a plow on this vehicle? It is a 1988 Ford F-350 Diesel 2 wheel drive 5 speed dump body. Does anyone know if this is possible and what model plow would work? I was just going to use it as back-up plow truck when the other trucks are down. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM

wait, the plow sites you go to say that FORD doesn't recommend it? that's a little weird.
I'm not an expert on this, but I believe you can still put a blade on that truck, you may not get as great traction as you would if it were a 4x4 dually, but that doesn't mean you can't still try.
I've seen the most insane vehicles around CNY with plows on them, everything from MINIVANS and 2WD S10's/Jeeps. Seriously what are you going to plow with a 2WD S10?

Anyway, I'd say you'd be able to put a plow on that truck, and still be able to plow with it some what well.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM

I think the question is why would you want to put a plow on that truck?

Plows are a lot of money. Why wouldn't you want to attach it to a more efficient truck so you can make your money back quicker?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnglocker View Post
I think the question is why would you want to put a plow on that truck?

Plows are a lot of money. Why wouldn't you want to attach it to a more efficient truck so you can make your money back quicker?
What is wrong with the truck?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretebaby View Post
What is wrong with the truck?
>DRW trucks have less ground pressure on the rear wheels, hence less traction,

>Manual trucks are fine for really long runs where you'll never need to shift, otherwise you'll burn the crap out the clutch. Let's not forget shifting a stick while running plow controls are a skill set of their own.

>It's old, very old, for a work truck. Corrosion has to be dissolving everything that holds the truck together. You'll spend more time fixing it that you will using it.

> That old 6.9 IH Diesel is a dog, good luck getting to all your accounts fast enough.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM

i don't see why it wouldn't work. We plow with a 1-ton dually and 95% of the time its not in 4 wheel drive. If you have some good tires on the rear and some weight it should push just fine!

Member of

Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:

>Manual trucks are fine for really long runs where you'll never need to shift, otherwise you'll burn the crap out the clutch. Let's not forget shifting a stick while running plow controls are a skill set of their own.

>It's old, very old, for a work truck. Corrosion has to be dissolving everything that holds the truck together. You'll spend more time fixing it that you will using it.

> That old 6.9 IH Diesel is a dog, good luck getting to all your accounts fast enough.
Not one of those are really a legitimate reason and the last one is just plain ignorant.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM

I said early it is going to be a back-up plow truck. Hoping to put a used plow on it. The other Fords are much newer and are 4 x 4. The 88 is in perfect shape no rust anywhere. Anyway, with that being said I went to Western quick match and yes it says Ford does not recommend putting a plow on this vehicle. Meyer does it even give you the option, and Boss says must be 4 X 4. I just want to know what used plow to look for for. Maybe I can get this Dog to plow. It's no screamer but man its reliable. I just want to know if there is a plow that works I wasn't asking for work truck opinions. But thanks for advice. I didn't realize it was old.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM

Thank you to the guys that actually are trying to help. I appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I would go ahead and do it. We had a 1980 dodge 1 ton 2wd that we ran a plow on for years. A little weight in the back and it was hard to stop. Remember you are cleaning off in front of you so unless your on ice your pretty much running on clean pavement. It saved us many times when we got in a pinch.

Dennis E. Forbes
Rain Dance Irrigation And Landscape
24550 Highway 98
Boonville MO 65233
http://raindancelandscape.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 PM

I used to plow with an 89 f 350 dump (all though it was 4 wheel drive). But I was able to plow with it in 2 wd occasionally definitely couldn't do it for every storm. Just make sure you have some weight in it or you will be all over the place. Also that engine is a beast might not be the fastest but it will go through a building.
2013 420 Cat Backhoe with 12' Pro Tech Pusher and Sweeper
2000 John Deere 544 Loader with 14’ Avalanche pusher
2006 Case 721 loader with 14’ Arrowhead Equipment pusher
2006 Case 580 backhoe with 10’ Fisher pusher
2004 Ford F 250 8.5 Fisher MM
2008 Chevy 1500 7.5 Western
Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Thanks. Does anyone know if there is a plow set-up that would fit the 88 F-350 2 wheel drive?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:

whhhhoahhhhh slow down buster I have one as you can see in my signature and my guys love it.. We did replace the old 6.9 with a 7.3 two years ago but if the truck is in good shape and you take care of it. THEE 88 will do just fine.

To the the original poster . Remember it is how you take care of your truck that will matter and make the truck last. Dont pull a newbie wannabee snow plower and plow fast drive 30 miles an hour in to a snow banking and generally doing stupid stuff. just take care of it..Now mine is 4 wheel drive and automatic, but I know quite a few guys that plow with a standard and do just fine. Old school guys.

why the hell would you ride the clutch??? ..lol... learn to drive a standard and the clutch will last you.that being said I would much rather use a automatic. and do..

Also as long as your not using the truck on hilly terrain the 2 wheel drive will be fine add aggressive tires. and add some weight to back, and dont be stupid. Pretty simple really.

So yes you can use that truck. Are there better ones? more than likely.. well yes actually there is but where Im from YOU use what you got and make it work..

good luck dont let anyone tell you you cant..
97 F250 Superduty 8' MM2 Fisher poly sander
93 F450 Dump with 8' MM1 Fisher sander
88 F350 Dump with 9' MM1
Kubota 2710
John Deere 990
Case 580 with 10' Snotech Pusher
Too many shovels to count........lol
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglasslawncare View Post
Thanks. Does anyone know if there is a plow set-up that would fit the 88 F-350 2 wheel drive?
I would think the mount for an 88 f]F-350 would be the same for 2 or 4 wheel drive. Same frame and everything. If its not, a good welder could make it fit pretty quick.

Dennis E. Forbes
Rain Dance Irrigation And Landscape
24550 Highway 98
Boonville MO 65233
http://raindancelandscape.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM

i think he just wants to know what brand of plow to put on it...period
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 97 f350 2wd dump and I plow every storm with it. I have an 8.5' western Unimount. i wouldnt go with anything smaller, u need it wide enough to clear a path for the rear duels when it is at full angle. i use it mostly for commercial lots and only a few drives. i have a Vbox in the bed loaded with salt for weight. You will need 1.5-2 ton in the box to give you the proper traction.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM

I had the same truck as the OP, 1988 F350 2wd CC 5sp with flat bed.

Installed a 8.5 western cable, conventional plow. The plow frame truck side needed modification to raise the mounting point. Carried about 1000lbs of counterweight and good rubber. It plowed just fine, however you need to plow smart to avoid getting stuck.

Plowed this rig for 5 years, only needed one clutch in its ten year life span.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 PM

I think in all honesty anything really would fit as long as the weight wasnt huge. You can find good use fisher mm1 fairly cheap or MM2 go with a 8' blade to lessen weight. but the frame for a 4x4 versus a 2 wheel drive in the fords in that year range are the same.

You should be fine ..

Remeber hey dont recommend it but doenst mean you cant do it.. what is the worse thing that is going to happen your going to lose your warranty on the truck.... hahahaha
88 F350 Dump with 9' MM1
Kubota 2710
John Deere 990
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM

Yes the frame from 4x4 and 4x2 are the same. You need 8.5 ft to clear the wider rear duals.

The frame will need to be modified to level the a-frame.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM

And dont worry about modification it is fairly easy to do
88 F350 Dump with 9' MM1
Kubota 2710
John Deere 990