Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Welding a steel Pipe (bar) to the edge for gravel

I plow mostly all gravel driveways and it never seems to freeze hard here where I am, so I'm wanting to weld a steel bar to to the cutting edge. Has anyone got experience doing this.
Need to know if I should weld it to the BOTTOM or to the FRONT of the edge (may be better for back dragging?)
Anyway, thanks for the advise in advance!
Regards,
Lowell
Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't weld directly to the cutting edge, to much heat and it will crack. I've build a couple of these, just mount it so it can come back off later. Pics in this thread of one I just got done with.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103504
Old 10-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks, that looks great.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Why don't you switch to a poly edge? Much better on gravel then steel.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnowman View Post
Why don't you switch to a poly edge? Much better on gravel then steel.
Or just lift the plow up like an inch and go. Instead of welding
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslands View Post

AJ..Has a Good point for once.....I have plowed a few gravel drives in my day..Drop the plow..Then lift it off the ground an inch or so.... Go slow..and pay attention....When the ground totally freezes it gets a little easyer.......Gravel drives are a pain anyway you cut it...
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM
2000 Club Member

It's not as easy as raising the plow 1". Every time the truck goes up, so does the plow and you leave 4" of snow. I have used this method but it is a real PITA.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cet View Post
It's not as easy as raising the plow 1". Every time the truck goes up, so does the plow and you leave 4" of snow. I have used this method but it is a real PITA.
Agreed...Hence the words Pay attention...They are a PITA
Old 10-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslands View Post
Lifting the plow doesn't work. It leaves the drive looking awful and full of slop. If you reread the post, Whitelite states that he does mostly gravel and it never seems to freeze, hence the one inch lift would never work well. Rather than welding a bar on the plow, a poly edge will work wonders. We had a few gravel drives and parking areas that never wanted to hard freeze also. Once we switched to poly edges it was like night and day. Take it from a guy who has been there!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM

Also, we have found that backscraping works best, but it can be very irritating to get rid of the snow humps from the edges of the plow.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnowman View Post
Lifting the plow doesn't work. It leaves the drive looking awful and full of slop. If you reread the post, Whitelite states that he does mostly gravel and it never seems to freeze, hence the one inch lift would never work well. Rather than welding a bar on the plow, a poly edge will work wonders. We had a few gravel drives and parking areas that never wanted to hard freeze also. Once we switched to poly edges it was like night and day. Take it from a guy who has been there!
Do these poly edges scrape to the ground on black top. What stops them from digging in on gravel? Are they thicker? I don't do any gravel or need one just curious.

I found back dragging worked well on gravel but if the snow is thick you have to make sure you don't get hung up.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Do these poly edges scrape to the ground on black top. What stops them from digging in on gravel? Are they thicker? I don't do any gravel or need one just curious.

I found back dragging worked well on gravel but if the snow is thick you have to make sure you don't get hung up.
We started poly with our pusher boxes because we hate rubber. We liked it so much that we have switched most of our equipment over to it. It scrapes like steel and because it is so wide (1.5 inches) it will float over the gravel pretty good. Plowing slop is always a pain, but the poly makes it easier and is much more forgiving on the equipment and operator. Be careful if you buy poly. Most companies are selling urathane. That wears way to fast. The stuff that we use is from http://cuttingedgepoly.com. It last forever. I'm not big on recommending other companies, but they have treated us right over the years.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
2000 Club Member

I have a steel edge on a 10' pusher. It actually scrapes like crap. I think the cutting edge is too far forward from the side ski. Do you know if a poly edge would scrape better.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I have a steel edge on a 10' pusher. It actually scrapes like crap. I think the cutting edge is too far forward from the side ski. Do you know if a poly edge would scrape better.
Poly edges are the only way to go on pushers. We have been swithing our plows over too. Don't buy urathane though. It wears too fast. We had much better luck with ethaline edges
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 PM
2000 Club Member

Do you have an approx. price for a 10' edge. Their web site looks under construction.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Do you have an approx. price for a 10' edge. Their web site looks under construction.
I usually email or call them. I have been using them for years. I don't recall what a 10 footer goes for. Our ten footer has two 5 foot sections. Had it on for a couple of years and have only worn a little. They are usually pretty quick to get you a quote. We give them our credit card and the edge is usually in hand in a week or two.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM

I just looked at their site. Looks like the store is down. They have a contact form. I use that sometimes.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
2000 Club Member

OK, thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM

no problem
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the tips. I've been raising the plow about an inch for years, but as stated it is a Pain and really doesn't do a good job. Like was said here every time the truck goes up, so does the plow and it leaves way to much snow. Problem is most gravel drives "are" up and down. The flip side is that once you go down the plow gouges and trips when the gravel isn't frozen, then you just cause more ups and downs the customers are not happy with rutting their roads like that.

Back dragging is also a pain especially on lots of curves and winding roads, (neck gets real sore) depending on the snow you can leave big piles in waves when the snow is full of moisture cause it's heavy and the plow just rides up and over.

Plowing and always having to go very slow ---"ticking" the blade up and trying to keep it 1 inch is a time killer, so is back dragging over and over again.

This is the reason I'm looking for a better solution, thanks for the ideas and comments!!Lowell