Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Snap-n-Go Plow

First off, I bear no relationship to the following product:

In September, 2 gents who invented a snow plow that attaches to the 2 front, or the 2 rear wheels of a vehicle went public with their product line. The product is called snap-n-go. Their website doesn't seem to be up and running yet, and in addition to the following links, you can also find them on facebook, or at snap-n-go@hotmail.com

This plow is designed for, and would by me for light home use. I would expect to plow a heavy snow (pun intended: heavy meaning many inches and/or a wet heavy in weight snow) numerous times during the course of accumulation, so as to not put to much stress on the tranny, undercarriage, etc. of my SUV, a 2003 Honda Pilot

http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles..._vehicles.html

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...o-go+plow&aq=f

While the design seems ingenious, I was concerned what stress that pushing snow with this device might do to, among other vehicle components, the front axle (assuming one attaches it to the front of the vehicle, as opposed to its rear tires).

As I own a 2003 Pilot, no front hitch option (please correct me if I am wrong), short of something custom and fabricated, is available to me on to which to attach a front plow. Of course there are rear plows that attach to a rear hitch, but plowing in reverse gear seems less natural to me, let alone does a rear plow that's moved forward: having my Pilot's tires compress snow before the plow gets to it.

Some plows attach to tow hooks. I'd have to do some pretty fancy footwork, installing a tow bar kit on to my '03 Pilot (as if it were the towed vehicle behind an RV), and then put tow hooks on that device, not to mention the stress in may put on a vehicle that while powerful, is not a commercial truck.

Expressing my concern to the inventors over stresses to the vehicle with snow removal, I was advised that the device puts no more pressure on the wheels that hitting a pothole at 60mph.

Somehow, this "assurance" didn't leave me with a "warm a fuzzy." Hitting a pothole at 40mph can inflict some serious damage, let alone at 60mph.

I was wondering what some of you think of this device having examined the youtube videos from the attached links, particular as it relates to it finding itself on the front of a Pilot.

Assuming I must snow plow myself, maybe the best solution is to own some vehicle other than a Pilot to plow using a more tested plow. And of course, plowing depends upon many factors, like snow weight and accumulation, how fresh the snow is, and the length one pushes snow before depositing it off to the side, to name a few.

Several factors, like the current $999 price for a 80 or 90" wide plow, before UPS shipping, and the lack of customers having the device for at least 1 winter, to review it, make me a bit squeamish to buy it. A part of me says, "what a great idea," and another part of me says, "gee, if tires were really intended to be an anchor point for snow plows, might it have been released to the public many winters ago by someone else?"

I want to buy American, which this product is. I don't want to hire the plow guy to come once at the end of a storm (that is if we get "enough" snow for him to decide to come) when my wife, who works in health care, and must be good to go to the hospital 24 X 7.

I'm gettin' to old for the shovel, and the snow plow comes with it's own limitations regarding what type of snow (water content wize) it throws best, not to mention all the nuances of keeping the snow plow in a ready to start state at all times during the winter.

Reader's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that plows should generally connect to the car's structural supports, either via a receiver hitch, or specially designed custom front hitch, so weight can be transferred through the vehcile's body, down to the tires. This plow, which is very light, connects directly to the tires.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 AM

I wouldn't put one on any of my vehicles.
1. The side pieces which appear to just be 1x1 square tubing looks like it would probably buckle under any heavy snow load.
2. There is no trip mechanism that I can see besides the rubber edge.
3. What happens when the plow rides all the way to the upright supports? Looks like it would come over the top and fall on the hood.
4. There appears to be no support side to side besides at the front which makes me think it would spread out on a load and get caught up on the tires and end badly.

My opinion get a blower either tractor mounted or walk behind depending on your driveway size if you want to do it yourself. Or hire a plowing contractor, a legitimate one, tell them your concerns about plowing times, accumulations, etc. they will more than likely be happy to work with you but will charge you accordingly.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
2000 Club Member

The name says it all.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
2000 Club Member

i would break that in half before i left my own driveway

Last edited by iceyman; 10-13-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 PM

I wouldn't, but let us know how it works out
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM

I read and watched and was interested purely from a stand point of ingenious thinking.

C.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18lmslcsr View Post
I read and watched and was interested purely from a stand point of ingenious thinking.

C.
Creative, innovative, Yes!
ingenious, not really, the person tht developed get it half right in that they identified a need, however 100% of inventors know that you have to build some clinkers to get to the real breakthrough. So, i suspect that with considerable thought and planning some version of this apparatus might be viable
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
2000 Club Member

Ya....ok. Hit a decent size pile and those tubes will break like chop sticks.
48" Bobcat W/B
Echo handhelds
Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
PlowSite Fanatic

I'd put a Snow Bear on a 1 ton before I put that on a car.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercer_me View Post
I'd put a Snow Bear on a 1 ton before I put that on a car.
Now you're onto something
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 AM

lol on the VIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowatnight View Post
Now you're onto something
sound like X-mas on the VIDS cling cling cling all u hear lol
sound like a slay ride

2004 2500HD SIERRA FISHER EZ-V
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 PM

lmao. that video was hilarious. might work for like 2 inches of snow but thats about it. better off getting out there witha shovel instead of being lazy
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Just get the largest snow blower you can. Much better investment in the long run. Or, just pay your local, friendly professional.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 AM

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Are you serious ??
Old 11-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Ok - here's the Snap-n-Go in Action with Snow!

I would like to forward attention to the following videos that show the plow in action with snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGtJW3pWQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPM3sVnBKGw

http://www.youtube.com/user/1snowplo.../2/VBP_j1BRCHQ

It took a while before snow fell this season for the product's developers (who again, let me stress-I bear no relationship with) to film this.

Many of you chimed in with educated guesses, which I respect, as you are in the business, on the product's flimsiness, or inferiority to other far more expensive alternatives: expensive because not only will the plows you suggested cost so much more that the snap-n-go, but expensive because the plows suggested can't exactly be put on a sedan, or even most middle size SUVs that lack front hitch capabilities--rather 1/2 and full ton trucks, and monster SUV's.

But please understand, nobody's suggesting you use this device to clear the parking lot of snow at Ralph Wilson Stadium, just prior to a Buffalo Bill's game. Although it might stand up better than you'd think.

Maybe you will have to plow more than once during a heavy snow. Maybe this isn't for moving snow that's been sitting for 2 weeks and has turned into ice. And I wouldn't suggest you go top speed with this product into a hill of snow sitting in some strip mall's parking lot, that's turned to ice, and will be there until June. But then again, I wouldn't suggest you do this with a tank.

But for the ordinary homeowner, this device can address the costs of an expensive, and hardly maintenance free snow blower, that you have to cross your fingers is going to start when you need it to, while you still spend quite some time outdoors moving snow--some of which you invariably end up wearing.

Of course you can pay to have those with the heavy plows you describe come do it for you, and I respect many of you here are just that guy, but any contract that is going to have the guy come as frequently as this device easily grants you the freedom to do your snow repeatedly yourself, is going to cost you a king's ransom.

Please review the videos that feature the ease with which the device is not only removed, but transported--with no disrespect whatsoever to those who make their living in this industry. Is your car, panel truck, SUV or minivan (or large truck, or golf cart--pretty much anything with wheels) facing the wrong direction on the driveway after a snow storm? It's no problem with the snap-n-go. It doesn't care whether you plow with the front wheels, or the rear ones in reverse gear.

And is your average homeowner going to want to keep on their vehicle the kind of multiple hundred pound moldboard, let alone the hardware that attaches it to the vehicle from October to March, paying more for the gasoline it costs to move around that extra weight?

If you review each product out there for personal use plowing, only the snap-n-go seems to lack the downsides all the other products do. One such plow requires truck tow hooks, weights a lot, and moves around with caste rwheels. Most vehicles don't have truck tow hooks, and just try moving this heavy device from the garage to your vehicle in snow. Another requires a hitch. Most vehicles don't have the ability to attach a front hitch--so you're limited to plowing in reverse.

And as for those who yell laziness, I want to remind you that's there always walkways and paths to do that few plows address. Fine lines exist between the lazy homeowner and the smart one who doesn't take on a snow removal job that finds them facing a heart attack.

As for the clanging in the video, so does a cow's bell....it doesn't prevent if from producing huge quantities of milk for the farmer. Clanging noise doesn't have to equate with flimsyness. Ask the guy running the aforemetioned loud tank if he has the munitions to blow a hole in that strip mall's snow pile in lieu of trying to ride over it. I suspect he does.

I also suspect this is the only kind of plow you can expect your better half to use if you happen to be away from home on a business trip.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:21 PM

I see a few issues for starters.

What happens when one of those rollers bind up, which they will no one can say they wont, everything fails. I can fair a good guess. I see the tire running over the "mount" and flipping that plow up and over taking out fenders, grills, hoods, and unfathomable front end parts.

Two, this plow does not lift, just slides down and glides back. While you might not think much of this, I can assure you that this will never leave a neat job.

Three, look at the stress points just on the plow. It looks like 1/8" inch steel at the very most attached at a 90 degree angle to itself. Commercial plows break 1/4" and thicker steel when things go wrong. Dont let the "lighter" plow fool you. The stresses on it will be that same as a full size truck and commercial plow. You still have 6000 lbs of vehicle behind that plow pushing it. One good rock or lip of earth will undoubtably end badly.

Four, as I mentioned before, this plow cannot be raised which means that it must be mounted and dismounted EVERY time it's used unless it can be dedicated to a vehicle to sit in the driveway unable to go anywhere.

Five, $1000 before shipping is not really cheap. I see many used "yard trucks" with plows sold less than that.

Six, what happens if and when something goes wrong? If one of my fisher's happen to have a design flaw that leaves it inoperable, I have a network of dealers all over New England who are just waiting to serve me and keep my business, five within an hour of me! As you yourself said, the inventors of this unit (having a hard time calling it a plow) cant even keep an web site going.

Seven, as by design, the plow turns with the wheels which while you might not think would be a big deal I can assure you will be a royal pain in the butt. You will never be able to keep a straight push or make a straight windrow.

Eight, this plow is straight ONLY. Without that ability to angle, i'm sure you'd find yourself fighting constantly to clean a driveway neatly, especially when added to the fact that it is attached to the wheels and therefore turns with the steering wheel.

Nine, while a small point it should still be made. This unit seems like it would take quite a bit of space to store. This may or may not be an issue.

Ten, what happens when those rollers freeze up from use in the snow, and they will. I forsee something similar to them seizing up.

This is really just a small list, I dont want to seem like a jerk. I'd let someone else "test" it out before you put your eggs in that basket. Sorry to be the one to bring a needle to the bubbles but this device seems quite dangerous to be honest. As for not being related to the inventors or product designers, you seem aweful sold and pushy on the idea to just be inquiring about it, but thats really none of my business. Listen, i'm not out for a fight or arguement, but keep in mind YOU asked US to give you OUR proffesional opinions. That was mine.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM

looks like a pos to me...
2011 dodge 3500 stainless dump, 9' 2" boss vee and central hydros
2002 chevy 3500 duramax 9' 2" boss vee, 10' dump and central hydros
1986 Freightliner fld 120 9 speed, 400 bc cummins
1974 GMC 6000, 350 gasser 9' heavy weight
1978 ford f350 300 gasser 8.5' straight blade, central hydros
1979 IH s1900 10' boss vee, 10' dump central hydros
1965 transport 20 ton lowboy
1992 675b John Deere skid loader
1985 555 ford 4x4 backhoe
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Wow are you guys a tough crowd

* If the device is used to specification, I would hope the plow would move out of the way the very snow you seem to be concerned will bind up its wheels sitting behind the blade? Nobody's suggesting the movement of a ton of snow before moving it to the side and then pushing more. I hope that people who offer opinions on this product do so from the perspective of Joe homeowner, not Bob's plowing service.

* And even if the wheels do bind up, wouldn't it mean you're probably running over a slick surface where the wheels can't acquire a sufficient amount of traction to unbind themselves, in which case they can simply slide over the aforementioned surface? I can't image those tiny wheels not moving would result in the 3-point industrial strength attachments to each of the tires to become lose, causing the tires to run over the mount and do any of the bad things you've described that could result from the plow's disattachment from the vehicle's wheels.

* I suppose everyone has a different definition of what constitutes a neat job. Mine involves the removal of snow close enough down to the surface on which is was originally found, that the sun can melt away this fine layer thereafter. Perhaps your idea of neat is similar.

* I appreciate your concern over this plow's strength, citing circumstances where commercial plows even manage to break thicker steel than may be featured in this product. But again, this device isn't for medium or larger parking lot plowing for a profit--although who knows. I think its designers had to find the right balance between acceptable part strength and weight that facilitates consumer use, including the unit's assembly and dismantling before and after use. I would hope that consumers would see the fact that the plow is only on the vehicle when in use as feature, not a limitation. The people this device is targeted to probably don't want to pay for the gasoline of moving a commercial plow's moldboard and vehicle attachment kit, (let alone the truck required to handle this equipment) nor buy a "plow truck" they have to maintain as you described. Such an item, at $1000, I might guess is good for those savvy with engines, and who have free time.

* Yes, any device with moving parts is subject to wear and tear and breakage, but in this device's simplicity there's no hydraulics to fail and not nearly the moving parts of a commercial plow-whether you want to see that as a good thing or not. As far as attempting to equate the lack of a web presence by its designers with the lack of customer support after sale, I'm not sure I'd take that leap. The developers may be timing the unveiling of a live website, and/or may busy with other aspects of a start up company, not lack the ability to run a site (your words, not mine as you claim).

* The plow's attachment to wheels must, by virtue of physics, make it plow straight if the vehicle's tires are kept straight. The maker's have "plugged" the plow's sensitivity to wheel direction as a feature in that if the plow anticipates the desired direction of the vehicle operator. I suppose you could always attach the device to the back wheels if this straightness really proved an issue--but I don't see it as one. What degree of less than perfect lines the plow might make is easily addressable by simply increasing the overlap of plow coverage in plow's next adjacent pass. And some people don't plow straight driveways.

* If this plow takes a lot to store I can't imagine what space commercial plows take up during the off season. I imagine you could orient many of its components to maximize floor to ceiling space use, while minimizing foot print. I can't imagine the same could be done for a commercial plow.

* I can't help think that this portion of the Plowsite website, devoted to do-it yourselfers, is frequented by people who do this for a living. Such people are certainly entitled to be here. But I think some of their comments might be more appropriate responses were I to have posted this in the commercial forums. I also think they see this product as junk compared to the high end stuff they use, that may hurt their residential plowing business. Maybe not. Please take the poster prior to me as an example. While he is perfectly entitled to an opinion, he, like some of you I suspect, sees this device through the eyes of a guy that has more motor vehicle and plow hardware, (and displays it proudly in his signature line (again his right)), than probabaly all the people combined that this device is intended to by successfully used by: home consumers.

* Still, like you, I look for no fights, appreciate your commentary, and how there were more critiques of this item that you left out in diplomacy. I suppose productive suggestions on making the product better might be no less useful than straight criticism.

I mean to push this product on nobody.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 PM

First off, I see that you are new to this site. I probably jumped the gun on the subject and should welcome you. Welcome to plowsite, lots of good info and even more great opinions. Secondly, myabe you should introduce yourself. Tell us where your from, let us know what kind of snow you encounter, how you found the site, etc. To some of us this site feels like a second family lol. Thirdly, let me point out that you where the one who tracked this place down, joined, introduced this product, expressed your doubt in it, then asked us, who are familier with the very commercial equipment you keep mentioning which I might add has already proven itself again and again, and asked us to chime in and tell us what you thought. One might begin to think that it just might be possible that you may have a stake in this new "product". Please forgive me if that is wrong, I mean no incorrect accusations, but this is starting to feel like an online market group or infomercial for this "product" lol. If you are already sold on this product, please by all means go buy one, tell us you got it and end this thread so more people dont bash this "product", and review it for us all so you have hardcore realworld experience to back your "facts". As for the rest of us, we will continue to use our tried and true, overweighted, overpriced, overfeatured, hunks of metal that have never let us down. Please remember that you came out of nowhere, introduced this item to us, asked us all for our opinion, and expressed YOUR doubt in it. None of the points you made in the previous thread addressed the issues that I afforementioned, it just discounted them which is no arguement, just shows lack of knowledge. Show me some realworld testing and reviews, not a 30 second youtube video. Once again, please remember you asked us to tell you. Thank you for your time and interest in our hobby and livelyhood. I am not attacking you or the product, just giving you what you asked for in your first post, maybe you should read your initial post.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Apparently us "proffesionals" arent the only ones doubting the integrity of this setup.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-ge...snow-plow.html