Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 PM

How's your season going?

How's everyones winter going, seems like everywhere is getting lots of snow this year. Are you making money this year or has anyone with seasonals taking loss's. Anyone ready for spring or you happy to keep plowing longer?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 PM
2000 Club Member

Personally, I have a mix of seasonal and per-push accounts, so I am doing well.... theoretically. I am finding my customers very, very slow in paying, and this is the second time this winter that I am running out of credit for buying fuel and supplies. Luckily the weather is somewhat cooperating this week. I have already borrowed money from my parents just to keep operating, pathetic...

Currently $40k+ outstanding... getting irritated. BUT they are all customers I have had for many years and they always pay, albeit on the slow side, really all I need is one or two to pay on time and I'm ok. But it is really lean in my house at the moment.

Knock on wood, my equipment has been very, very good this year! A few minor issues, mainly electrical, but no major catastrophes! YAY! (which is good because I couldn't afford to fix them right now anyways!)

I'll be glad when it's over, but I'm also glad its only February so if we get at least a little more I should have a profitable year.

1982 GMC K35 'The Bomb', TBI 383
1978 Chevy K30 'The Bomb Part II', 350 Qjet
(4x4 Duallies with Dump, 9'-2" BOSS Power V's)
1986 GMC Sonoma, 6'-6" BOSS Power V
1981 GMC K25, 8'-2" Boss AND 7'-6" Fisher
1990 GMC R35 crewcab w/8' Aluminum Dump
Flink 8' SS V-box and Western ProFlo2 Spreaders
New Holland Lx885, 6' Pooper Scooper
Trojan 2000 wheel loader w/14' Snow Dogg Pusher
International B275 Diesel Loader w/6' McKee Blower
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 PM

I've been in business 15 years, and it's been the busiest. My guys are shot, I'm shot, we all need a break. Thankfully, after we get one more storm out of the way monday night into tuesday, we go to spring like weather for the foreseeable future. Winter's usually my time to get some rest and have some fun but I haven't hunted this year once, haven't gone fishing since before New Years, no long weekends away with the wife and kids and no time to work on my shore house that's still not back in to normal since Sandy. On top of that, I have over 100k on the streets in snow removal. Only bright spot is my expenses are covered so when the checks do start rolling in, things will start looking up. Plus we've had to deal with the salt shortage for the past month. I'm not ready for spring, I want to enjoy some winter down time, I'm just ready for a break
'09 Ford F550 Mason Dump w/ Western MVP & SnowEx 9500
'14 Ford F550 Mason Dump w/ Western MVP3 & SnowEx 7550
'05 Ford F750 SNG Rolloff
'10 Jeep Wrangler w/ Fisher SD Plow

'07 Bobcat S205 w/ 8ft ProTech
'13 Bobcat T650 w/ Snow Bucket
Old 02-16-2014, 12:47 AM

Busy winter, no more room for snow. Late December/Early January was a lot of rain followed by extreme cold so went through a lot of salt, then we started getting all the 10"+ snowstorms. The computer went bad so billing got behind. My typically best seasonal customer owes me a bunch of money, and while my expenses will ultimately cover themselves, I'm getting worried about whether or not I'll ever see that money. Per push accounts have been great with payment. 20" of snow Thursday night-Friday, 4"/hour on Friday morning...that was neat, now I hope I never see it again. Got done with cleanup today just as snow was starting to fall from the next storm. That dumped a little over an inch, so another Saturday night of scraping and salting...that's been the theme this year. Saturday night=snow plowing. Big year so far...more snow on the way!

'99 Chevy Silverado 2500
7.5' Fisher MM2
Meyer Tailgate Spreader
1986 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton
7.5' Fisher
Snapper Single Stage Snowblower
Shovels

I plow for

Trip blades were designed to protect your truck, not to tell the homeowner when you found his lawn
Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 AM
2000 Club Member

Almost 50" of snow.

Average is 20".

Was holding out to hopefully have an average season this year to retire some equipment when the spring money would start to roll in.

Instead I keep dumping money into the old stuff, so even though it's a busy winter, seems like more money is going out than coming in. Too many repairs.

But, overall I can't complain. Few good employees, great friends in the biz to help us out in a pinch, expenses are covered, and personal bills are still getting paid.

Could be much worse..........

Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 AM
2000 Club Member

Snowy and cold!........
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

The snow has come to a screeching halt here. It was hammer down, go go go from Thanksgiving till about two weeks ago. Lately all we've had is a bunch of 1" clippers. All in all its been a pretty darn good year but I'm ready for it to be over. I'm sure once May gets here I'll be ready for more snow! Hahaha
Old 02-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Epic winter, here in West Michigan. I believe we are over 120" of snow, with more forecast for tomorrow. Could not have picked a better year to get a tractor/blower going. All we run is my F350 with a 14' Ebling out back and a Boss V-XT up front. I believe we are close to 35 times out so far.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Winter has sucked up here in northern ny… storms have pretty much gone south! January I billed out a quarter of what i did in December. Feb, is looking ok but equipment is now going down. Lost transmission in my main plow truck with the sander in it late january. New transmission crapped out again after 60 miles, still waiting for that to be returned. Had my 3500 dodge crew cab dump set up for plowing, but a little rough plowing with that long of a truck. I also have an older plow on that truck i picked up cheap because i didn't expect to use it as a full time rig. Now that plow is down and I've had to put the smaller plow off my other truck on that rig, and i guess i need to go plow shopping monday. Sick of not making money and working on things all the time. Ready for summer!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Things are going ok here. Also have been playing the waiting game for checks to come in! I'm not running near the equipment, people or accounts that some are but there is still fuel, salt, and my time. Seem to really have ran through the salt this year. Usually 3 pallets a year does it for me but i'm on pallet 5 and its only mid feb. Spring can come when ever it would like, need a good thaw to clean cattle yards they are so froze and getting deep!

Its going to break at some point and that is the point you will call it a P.O.S. But life goes on and the argument of whose supreme will never end.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Single best winter yet for us. Everyone for the most part is paying on time so thats a plus. Looking forward to a few warmer days that are coming to get a little break.
2002 Ford F-550 Diesel 9'2" BOSS V
2014 BOBCAT T590 w/ 9' BOSS w/ wings & 68" Broom & 100" Bobcat Snow Bucket
2010 CAT 297C w/ 10ft Protech Pusher & 7ft Snowblower
2005 CASE 420 w/ 9ft Meyer Plow (shop machine)
Back up BOSS 7'6" Superduty Blade w/ wings
Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCLandscaping View Post
Winter has sucked up here in northern nyÖ storms have pretty much gone south! January I billed out a quarter of what i did in December. Feb, is looking ok but equipment is now going down. Lost transmission in my main plow truck with the sander in it late january. New transmission crapped out again after 60 miles, still waiting for that to be returned. Had my 3500 dodge crew cab dump set up for plowing, but a little rough plowing with that long of a truck. I also have an older plow on that truck i picked up cheap because i didn't expect to use it as a full time rig. Now that plow is down and I've had to put the smaller plow off my other truck on that rig, and i guess i need to go plow shopping monday. Sick of not making money and working on things all the time. Ready for summer!
I know what it's like plowing with a long truck, it's tough on driveways especially small short one's like this one here.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
I know what it's like plowing with a long truck, it's tough on driveways especially small short one's like this one here.
can make things interesting! i have a salt spreader hanging off the hitch too, that doesn't help.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Been more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Terrible, we've only plowed 3 times with a total snow fall of less than 10". Luckily we have gotten several small dustings and ice events which were able to make some money. Seasonal average is 32" so I doubt will even come close to half that.