Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Drivers License Requirements

This information is for Michigan only. But it probably works in your state also. The information is taken from Michigan Secretary of State information.

Definition of Terms:

GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight = What your vehicle actually weights.
GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the recommended maximum total weight of the vehicle and a load as designated by the vehicle manufacturer.
GCW: Gross Combination Weight = What your truck and trailer actually weight.
GCWR: Gross Combination Weight Rating means the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a combination vehicle.

Vehicle Weight Summary: License requirements don’t care what your vehicle weights. They only care what the manufacture says your vehicle weights. GVWR & GCWR.

These are the only GVWR that mater:
Trucks:
Under 10,000 pounds
Over 10,001 pounds but less than 26,000 pounds
Over 26, 001 pounds

Trailers:
Under 10,000 pounds
Over 10,001 pounds

There are exceptions, such as military, farmer, emergency personal. But the rule is:

Chauffeur License is required if you: Are employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more.

Note: Michigan law considers someone to be employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle “when the person’s employment customarily involves the necessary use of a motor vehicle for hire (snow plowing) or for transporting passengers for hire (workers), or for transporting for gain or hire any merchandise for display, sale, or delivery. (spreading salt)”

Chauffeur Summary: If the truck you drive for work as an employee, owner or sub contractor, has a sticker on the door of the truck says 10,001 pounds or greater, (but less than 26,001) than you need to have a Chauffeurs License. The cost in 2009 in MI for this license is $35.00. It is only a written test. No skills test is required, unless you have never been licensed.

Medical Examiner’s Certification: A medical examiner’s certification is needed if you operate a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight (GVW), GVWR, GCW, or GCWR of 10,001 pounds or more. Mine cost $50 from my Dr.

Commercial Drivers License or CDL: A CDL is required for any person who intends to operate a vehicle have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more or a combination vehicles towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.

CDL Classes:

Class A: Combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is 10,001 pounds or more.

Class A Example: Any Semi truck & trailer needs a Class A. If your trailer has a GVWR of more than 10,001 and the truck and trailer combination is over 26,001 then you need a Class A CDL.

Class B: Single vehicle having a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. Group B allows for towing trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class B Example: You bought a used Ford L8000 county plow truck to plow with. You would need a Class B. You can also tow a landscape trailer that is has a GVWR of under 10,000 pounds. A tandem axle trailer with 4500 pound axles would be fine. It would have a 9,000 GVWR.

Class C has to due with busses and vehicles that haul over 16 people so I’m not going to cover it.

Summary:

Regular Drivers License
- If you drive a pick up that has a GVWR under 10,000 then you are fine. If you tow a trailer that is under 10,000 GVWR you are fine.
- If your trailer is over 10,001 GVWR and your truck is under 10,000 GVWR AND the combination of truck and trailer is under 26,001, then your drivers license is fine.

Chauffeur License
- If you drive a truck that has a GVWR of between 10,001 and 26,000 you need a Chauffeur license and a Medical Examiner’s Certification.
- If you tow a trailer behind that truck that is under 10,000 GVWR you still only need the Chauffeur license and a Medical Examiner’s Certification.
- If you tow a trailer behind that truck that is over 10,001 GVWR, and the combined weight is under 26,001 GVWR you still only need the Chauffeur license and a Medical Examiner’s Certification.

Commercial Drivers License
- If you drive a truck with a GVWR of over 26,001 alone or with a trailer under 10,000 GVWR you need a Class B CDL

- If you tow a trailer over 10,001 GVWR and your combined truck and trailer GVWR is over 26,001 you need a Class A CDL.

Last edited by QuadPlower; 04-01-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
2000 Club Member

Well Done
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
2000 Club Member

Sounds pretty close to minnesota rules just different names for catagories. Weights are correct.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamelfire View Post
Sounds pretty close to minnesota rules just different names for catagories. Weights are correct.
thats all federal laws FYI not state

dont forget your log books if you drive a truck heavier than 10,001 lbs got popped the other day for speeding and got a 400 dollar fine
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FteNelson View Post
thats all federal laws FYI not state
All but the chauffers part
Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretebaby View Post
All but the chauffers part

ya got me dag nabit

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FteNelson View Post
dont forget your log books if you drive a truck heavier than 10,001 lbs got popped the other day for speeding and got a 400 dollar fine

There is an exception for local drivers as long as you stay within the 100 air mile radius that doesnt require a log book.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash935 View Post
There is an exception for local drivers as long as you stay within the 100 air mile radius that doesnt require a log book.

this is true except i work from the tip of the cape to exit 1 off the mass pike on any given day
they got me and i was something like 210 miles from are shop
Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
2000 Club Member

Quad

That would have been perfect if you only would have posted wether or not you needed a CDl for a Under 26k truck with air brakes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftenelson View Post
this is true except i work from the tip of the cape to exit 1 off the mass pike on any given day
they got me and i was something like 210 miles from are shop

ahhhh, oops
Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Quad

That would have been perfect if you only would have posted wether or not you needed a CDl for a Under 26k truck with air brakes
In NY at least, under 26K is under 26K, brake type is irrelevant. No CDL required.

I'm not sure about OVER 26K, there may be air brake endorsements required.

I don't know if we have anything like the chauffeur requirement here, that's unfamiliar to me.

-Jer
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTruk View Post
In NY at least, under 26K is under 26K, brake type is irrelevant. No CDL required.

I'm not sure about OVER 26K, there may be air brake endorsements required.

I don't know if we have anything like the chauffeur requirement here, that's unfamiliar to me.

-Jer
LOL I was just teasing Crash

That is a Fed regulation and its a restriction if you don't have air not an endorsement
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

when i was 18 i went and got my class 1. i was following in my dads footsteps lol. union driver.
after i got my lic. they changed it over to the new style so my dad got to take his test at homeand i had to go into dmv. they wanted another 200 to take the test and renew so i had it amended to a c i have no clue as to what i can drive lol farm tractor tow truck lol the girl at the dmv was puzzled too. the only thing i use my lic. for is to show cops lol
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
2000 Club Member

One addition to the Class B (which I have). Also applies to class C. You can haul any weight trailer, as long as your combined weight is under 26K. I have a 12K dump trailer I haul w/ my pickup. No problem. I called my state DMV about this when I bought the trailer. It's a silly rule in my opinion. I think I should be able to drive a CDL dumptruck and haul a tagalong with equipment on it. Which would mean a Class A would basically be for Tractor Trailer rigs. The girl at the DMV agreed the Class B trailer restriction is a little outdated.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
One addition to the Class B (which I have). Also applies to class C. You can haul any weight trailer, as long as your combined weight is under 26K. I have a 12K dump trailer I haul w/ my pickup. No problem. I called my state DMV about this when I bought the trailer. It's a silly rule in my opinion. I think I should be able to drive a CDL dumptruck and haul a tagalong with equipment on it. Which would mean a Class A would basically be for Tractor Trailer rigs. The girl at the DMV agreed the Class B trailer restriction is a little outdated.
That really has nothing to do with having a B or a C because you need neither for a Combo under 26k

You can pull any size trailer if the combo is under 26k with a standard Class D

A class C has no value without the proper endorsment for passengers or Hazmat
Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
2000 Club Member

Probably didn't word that the best. Point I was trying to make is that a Class B is NOT restricted to 10K trailer, unless the combination exceeds 26K. We don't have class D here. Class C is the "standard" license.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Quad

I didn't see anything for a Chauffeur License sized truck (10,001 - 26,000 GVWR) with Air Brakes. I have a 19,500 UD-2000 with Air Brakes. But I did see that you have to have an Endorsment for Air Brakes for the Class A or B CDL to drive a 26,001 truck with air brakes.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash935 View Post
Could you find this in the "regulations" for me. I hope its true, I don't want to write something up every time I leave in the morning and we stay within 50 miles. I have enough to do in the a.m.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

florida used to require the class d license aka the chauffeurs license but since abolished it cuz so many people were buying 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks lol to this day it is a rarity to find a f-250 or f-350 with a gas motor and for a time thats what everyone drove were the big diesels to get the millage
Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadPlower View Post
Could you find this in the "regulations" for me. I hope its true, I don't want to write something up every time I leave in the morning and we stay within 50 miles. I have enough to do in the a.m.
I'll have to find it again for ya, its a PITA to find!