Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 PM

FYI... make your own rust inhibitor....

I read a thread on the Fluid film ... looks like a good product....
For those of you that like to save a few bucks and make your own. I used a home made version of an English product call Waxoyl. The Land rover guys in England still use a commercial version but is $$. Take a pound or so of parafin wax and grind
it up with a cheese grater. Soak it in a half gallon of mineral spirits until all of the wax is dissolved. This might require allowing it to sit in a closed container for a couple of weeks (I just used a 5 gal. bucket with lid). Stirring will cause most of the wax to dissolve, but soaking should take care of the rest. Generally try to dissolve as much wax as the mineral spirits will hold.

After that, dump in a couple of pints of mineral oil ( less of a smell ) or non-detergent motor oil.

If the mixture is thick, thin it further with more mineral spirits until it is of a sprayable consistency.

Buy a cheap pump pesticide sprayer to apply it. I bought mine on sale at Walmart. That's all there is to it.

Here is a recipe for home made "Waxoyl". It's an old fashioned rust treatment / undercoating:

2 1/2 quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax has dissolved, (takes a long time; you can use very low heat (a warm room) to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable / sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole.
I have mad it and used it for about 10 years now in Utah to combat salt -corrosion on my 2 Land Cruisers. Works very well .

Recipe:

Take a pound or so of parafin wax and grind
it up with a cheese grater. Soak it in a half gallon of mineral spirits until all of the wax is dissolved. This might require allowing it to sit in a closed container f (I just used a 5 gal. bucket with lid). Stirring will cause most of the wax to dissolve, but soaking should take care of the rest. Generally try to dissolve as much wax as the mineral spirits will hold.
I used a small heat source ( bbq) to melt mine.
After that, dump in a couple of pints of mineral oil ( machine oil) or non-detergent motor oil.
If the mixture is thick, thin it further with more mineral spirits until it is of a sprayable consistency.
Buy a cheap pump pesticide sprayer to apply it. I bought mine on sale at Walmart. That's all there is to it.

Here is a recipe for home made "Waxoyl". It's an old fashioned rust treatment / undercoating:

2 1/2 quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax has dissolved, (takes a long time; you can use very low heat (a warm room) to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable / sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole. such as inside doors etc.

Good luck

Last edited by berg; 12-12-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

seems like a hassle when you can get FF for $3.93 a can.......
Old 12-13-2008, 07:13 AM

My math figures $45 a gallon

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUID-FILM-Gallo...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Kellsport has a 5 gallon pail advertised for $129 on their website....