Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonorth16 View Post
Just had a customer complain to me about her $120 bill for her driveway, 26"of snow in NH . I cleared it 3 times during the storm, and even went back to clear the front of drive that the town plowed in again. She told me that she felt that $120 was too much as it took me only a 1.5hrs to clear it. I showed her the pricing , the same pricing we went over in september when I got the account. Well after an hr of going back and forth with this lady I got in my truck and stared plowing the snow back into her driveway. Well I must say that her and husband were real quick to pull out the $$$ but it was past the point of no return. I would not accept any money and put 26" of snow back into the driveway. She called the town and police on me, which both of them just laughed and basically told the lady why didnt you just pay your bill?
That's awesome

Funny how people squabble over the bill when it's all over.... Maybe now they can shop around and find someone cheaper.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Just had a customer complain to me about her $120 bill for her driveway, 26"of snow in NH . I cleared it 3 times during the storm, and even went back to clear the front of drive that the town plowed in again. She told me that she felt that $120 was too much as it took me only a 1.5hrs to clear it. I showed her the pricing , the same pricing we went over in september when I got the account. Well after an hr of going back and forth with this lady I got in my truck and stared plowing the snow back into her driveway. Well I must say that her and husband were real quick to pull out the $$$ but it was past the point of no return. I would not accept any money and put 26" of snow back into the driveway. She called the town and police on me, which both of them just laughed and basically told the lady why didnt you just pay your bill?
Gonorth16 where in nh are you? Pretty sure you're going to lose more than just that driveway with an attitude like that once they spread the word about you! Not to mention you lost more money wasting time/fuel plowing them back in. Poor business ethics if you ask me.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
Gonorth16 where in nh are you? Pretty sure you're going to lose more than just that driveway with an attitude like that once they spread the word about you! Not to mention you lost more money wasting time/fuel plowing them back in. Poor business ethics if you ask me.
I wasn't going to be the dick and say it but you are right. If i had this problem i would settle on a agreed price to atleast get some money out of it then drop them. Not be a dick about it but just say it's best we part ways or something to that affect.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM

How long do you think the cable/power company would spend dickering over your bill if you refused to pay? They wouldn't, they'd send a tech to shut you down, he did the same they would do. Services were rendered and not paid for so he put things back to the way they were. There have been a few instances I wish I had the stones to do something like that.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM

GoNorth, you're definitely hero of the week in my book. Unbusinesslike... absolutely. But, we'd all like to do the same thing some days. It certainly feels personal when you do your best and they can pay, but make an arbitrary decision to not pay you based on some weird logic after the fact. As if they know your costs and expenses. They don't. Been there before. If you were over here in Seacoast NH/ errrr, MA; you'd probably be put in jail. I'm pretty surprised the Cops didnt ruin your day. Prices seemed reasonable to me. I guess it was $120. worth of fun.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM

The cheapest drive I did in this storm was $150. The majority were $225-$250. I had a few regulars call and say that was to much, that they would find someone else. They called back saturday evening asking me to come out. I told them the price is the same and they all agreed. I did about a dozen emergency plows for even more. People were paying they had no choice.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
I can see doing something like that almost to the point of not being able to fix it, and then charging them to clean it up again. Drastic times...

"For Your Yard Emergencies!"

2009 Ford F-350 8.5' Fisher SS Xtreme V MM2
2012 GMC 1500 7.5' Fisher MM2
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
Yeah, not going to lose any sleep "once they spread the word" and I dont have a bad attidude. I spent almost a hr with them going back and forth. I did a service and want to be Paid for it. Could I of just said I'll accept what you wanna pay and leave, yes I could of but why? People like that do things like this to contractors of all types everyday. I work too hard to let people beat me . You dont go out to dinner and order from the menu that has prices on it and then tell the waiter that you like the food but you dont think Its worth what they are charging, and your only going to pay this. As far as Gas and Time wasted, Oh well had fun doing it.....
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
I would have charged my standard rate for each time I was there. If I come 10 times and plow 3 inches off each time, and your standard rate is $35, youre going to pay $350.
Right on, unless hes not a regular customer and just one of these people that call when we get big storms. Then I always charge more.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM

I'd rather be thought of as a bit of a crank that does a good job then someone who does a good job and can be dicked around on the price after.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM

i think you should give us some of that snow in northern va

Ford trucks
Bobcat skidsteers
Airflo Vboxes
Ariens snowblowers
Boss plows and spreaders
Western plows and spreaders

Fisher plows and spreaders
Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM

I set a base rate for 2 to 4 inches starting at $40. Most are in the $40 to $50 range. My accounts got between 24 and 30 inches. I billed most of my customers at 3.5 times their base rate, so $140 to $175. Some that had difficult driveways and/or drifts I billed at 4.0 times and a couple I only billed at 2.5 times (low priority accounts or they had shoveled some). One-timers got billed between $100 and $150, but all but two of them had to wait until Tuesday because I had to do aprons and slush duty on my regulars Monday when it started raining and the town/state finially got the hardpack up. A factory lot I do that requires most of the snow stacked in one area to preserve parking spaces was billed at 6.0 times. Overall I made out pretty well until I figure out my hourly take which was only about 60% of what I make on smaller storms, largely due to traveling around at 10 to 15 mph I think.

I didn't get my invoices mailed until yesterday so I don't know yet how my regular customers will react. My standard response to those who complain is to tell them to just pay me what they feel is fair, and after they pay I drop them. I pulled a 36 hour shift followed by an 18 hour one and then a 10 hour one...getting too old for this crap, lol.

One guy in my area was billing out at $300 minimum for the first half hour.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Almasi View Post
There ya go!!
I put snow back into a guy's driveway once , I had dropped him for non payment , and he had found somebody else to rip off . I came by and his driveway was plowed , so I was filling it back up with snow I got from the banks along the road > The dude comes running down from his house after I'd been at it for a few minutes . He's screaming like a little girl , pulls out a S&W J frame revolver and sticks it in my face . Long story shot , I took his gun away from him , told him if he called the cops , I'd press charges for assault , plus take him to small claims court , plus beat his ass . He owed me $200.00 , I sold the revolver (a stainless model 60) for $450.00 . I was very surprised he didn't call the cops anyway , but I guess it was more important to him to avoid a felony conviction on his record , along with some jail time . I never go looking for trouble , but when I run into it , I can handle most of it ! The look on his face , when I took that gun away from him was truly , PRICELESS !
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoldsap View Post
I put snow back into a guy's driveway once , I had dropped him for non payment , and he had found somebody else to rip off . I came by and his driveway was plowed , so I was filling it back up with snow I got from the banks along the road > The dude comes running down from his house after I'd been at it for a few minutes . He's screaming like a little girl , pulls out a S&W J frame revolver and sticks it in my face . Long story shot , I took his gun away from him , told him if he called the cops , I'd press charges for assault , plus take him to small claims court , plus beat his ass . He owed me $200.00 , I sold the revolver (a stainless model 60) for $450.00 . I was very surprised he didn't call the cops anyway , but I guess it was more important to him to avoid a felony conviction on his record , along with some jail time . I never go looking for trouble , but when I run into it , I can handle most of it ! The look on his face , when I took that gun away from him was truly , PRICELESS !
Not for nothing and I understand a vengeance was in order, but taking and selling a pistol is a federal offense. I know pistol laws in your state are lax, but you cannot buy or sell a pistol without going through a FFL dealer, and selling a pistol illegally obtained is a serious offense. Unless is was an antique pistol, but it doesnt sound like it. Be careful, especially if you are posting on a site like this that can be requoted.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landandtree05 View Post
Not for nothing and I understand a vengeance was in order, but taking and selling a pistol is a federal offense. I know pistol laws in your state are lax, but you cannot buy or sell a pistol without going through a FFL dealer, and selling a pistol illegally obtained is a serious offense. Unless is was an antique pistol, but it doesnt sound like it. Be careful, especially if you are posting on a site like this that can be requoted.
Might be an offence in CT , but not in Vermont , no FFL required in a private sale ! Our gun laws aren't lax , we don't have any , and that's as it should be . I didn't steal his pistol , he gave it to me willingly , when he stuck it into my truck . You don't intimidate vietnam vets by sticking an empty revolver in his face . My first instinct was to feed it to him , but the path I chose was a better one . To this day , that dude won't make eye contact with me , on the rare occasions I bump into him !
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoldsap View Post
Might be an offence in CT , but not in Vermont , no FFL required in a private sale ! Our gun laws aren't lax , we don't have any , and that's as it should be . I didn't steal his pistol , he gave it to me willingly , when he stuck it into my truck . You don't intimidate vietnam vets by sticking an empty revolver in his face . My first instinct was to feed it to him , but the path I chose was a better one . To this day , that dude won't make eye contact with me , on the rare occasions I bump into him !
Its not a law in CT either. People confuse selling new guns with used. I bought a few used guns and traded for a few. I never had any problem registering them. I also go to auctions. The auctioneer doesnt have a FFL either.

This might change soon with the anti gun nuts out there.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=I didn't steal his pistol , he gave it to me willingly , when he stuck it into my truck .

You don't intimidate vietnam vets by sticking an empty revolver in his face .

My first instinct was to feed it to him , but the path I chose was a better one . To this day , that dude won't make eye contact with me , on the rare occasions I bump into him ![/QUOTE]

Awesome
90 Vette Triple Black
70 Camaro Pro Street 468 BBC
Over 35 years of buying, selling & wrecking.
Kept the Best
Old 02-23-2013, 12:25 PM

In CT it is law to purchase a pistol through an FFL, not a rifle or shotgun, get your facts straight. And however I understand your point about getting a pistol stuck in the face, your arrogance is quite staggering. Thank you for serving our country, but next time just knock him out and call the cops. Oh, and I carry legally, you should try it.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl g View Post
I set a base rate for 2 to 4 inches starting at $40. Most are in the $40 to $50 range. My accounts got between 24 and 30 inches. I billed most of my customers at 3.5 times their base rate, so $140 to $175. Some that had difficult driveways and/or drifts I billed at 4.0 times and a couple I only billed at 2.5 times (low priority accounts or they had shoveled some). One-timers got billed between $100 and $150, but all but two of them had to wait until Tuesday because I had to do aprons and slush duty on my regulars Monday when it started raining and the town/state finially got the hardpack up. A factory lot I do that requires most of the snow stacked in one area to preserve parking spaces was billed at 6.0 times. Overall I made out pretty well until I figure out my hourly take which was only about 60% of what I make on smaller storms, largely due to traveling around at 10 to 15 mph I think.

I didn't get my invoices mailed until yesterday so I don't know yet how my regular customers will react. My standard response to those who complain is to tell them to just pay me what they feel is fair, and after they pay I drop them. I pulled a 36 hour shift followed by an 18 hour one and then a 10 hour one...getting too old for this crap, lol.

One guy in my area was billing out at $300 minimum for the first half hour.
Exactly how I do it, everything you said.

I had a guy with a loader help me on 2 lots and he charged me $200 / hour. (He was there only 1.5 hours so the bill for his work was $300). Very large Deere loader saved me 4+ hours of chiseling at the snow with my truck. I still had to plow the whole lot after he was done but it was like plowing a 5" storm. One of those lots is base price $175 I charged $525. The other base $95 charged $380 (lots of shoveling + snow in one area). So $525 + $380 = $905 - $300 loader = $605 which still nets me a little over 2x my normal rate. Good the storm was on a weekend these businesses weren't open and could be done Sunday night. Had to wait a few hours for the loader to arrive also.
Mostly solo for 17 years
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLS View Post
Exactly how I do it, everything you said.

I had a guy with a loader help me on 2 lots and he charged me $200 / hour. (He was there only 1.5 hours so the bill for his work was $300). Very large Deere loader saved me 4+ hours of chiseling at the snow with my truck. I still had to plow the whole lot after he was done but it was like plowing a 5" storm. One of those lots is base price $175 I charged $525. The other base $95 charged $380 (lots of shoveling + snow in one area). So $525 + $380 = $905 - $300 loader = $605 which still nets me a little over 2x my normal rate. Good the storm was on a weekend these businesses weren't open and could be done Sunday night. Had to wait a few hours for the loader to arrive also.
It sounds like your charges were pretty reasonable.

Checks have started to flow in now and I haven't had one complaint yet. Lots of "thank you" notes in the memo sections of the checks and on the backs of the envelopes. In fact one customer that I billed at 3X my normal rate sent me an extra $50. There's still time for people to complain, but it's looking good so far. In my experience people who don't like an invoice don't usually bother to call, they just don't pay the bill.