Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines2500 View Post
Thanks for the responses and yes, I'm an idiot when it comes to plowing and I know it. I wish I had more specifics, but this was passed down from a friend. I basically bought a plow this year to do a few rental properties I own and I have a buddy that gets laid off every year once it snows who will use it to make cash on the side.

He brought this $2000/mo contract to my attention and seemed really pumped about it. I cautioned that this is a bigger job than he can handle and t's not even particularly close to his house. I'm mostly looking for reasons to talk him out of it.

Here's an Arial view of the lot with scale. Approx 12,000 sq meters, 130,000 sqft

Can you see the island that runs thru the middle of the lot? You can do the north side of that for 2k a month.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM
2000 Club Member

It's doable for the right price, and even being a smaller business, you can do it.

Things you would need though are QUALITY subs.

But you get a 2' snow fall, and you might end up paying 2k+ to your subs.

Just something to consider.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM

I service a K-mart that has a lot almost exactly the same size, with no islands in it.

I don't know how much snow you get out that way, but we get paid per push, and an average month is $7K
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines2500 View Post
This is an offer a local Kmart has out there though may. Does this sound reasonable? I'm short on specifics about the lot itself.
one biggy will deplete all your resources and profit margin . spit the hook .
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I know the decision has already been made about this lot but in my area of Colorado, you could make some serious money on it.

I had two 5-acre sites for years and made a lot of money on them at $2k a month. Each one got two loaders with 12' pushers and one truck or mini loader with a blade for detail work. The trick is to stop thinking about it as $2k a month and think of it as $10k a year. You will lose some months but you will come out way ahead during others.

I sold my business last summer and the guy that bought it is rolling in cash right now. He's bringing in $5,700 a month in seasonals and is spending next to nothing because we haven't had much snow this year.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Not to get off the OP question ,but I see it here in this thread as in many others. If you have proper insurance, and are a legal bussiness, how can someone sue you and take everything you own? Not saying it can't happen, i'm just wondering how.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyo View Post
Not to get off the OP question ,but I see it here in this thread as in many others. If you have proper insurance, and are a legal bussiness, how can someone sue you and take everything you own? Not saying it can't happen, i'm just wondering how.
Because they hire blood sucking, great white shark, lawyers.

98' Chevy 1500 - Daily Driver
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott3430 View Post
Because they hire blood sucking, great white shark, lawyers.
I was just wondering because i was told thats why i paid to be a LLC. My tax guy said that if anything ever happened they can only take what the llc owns,not the person behind it. After all how can they take my house if my wife helps pay for it. Not that it couldn't put me out of bussines, but can they really attack me personally if something like that happened?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyo View Post
I was just wondering because i was told thats why i paid to be a LLC. My tax guy said that if anything ever happened they can only take what the llc owns,not the person behind it. After all how can they take my house if my wife helps pay for it. Not that it couldn't put me out of bussines, but can they really attack me personally if something like that happened?
If your LLC is set up correctly, they cannot go after your personal assets in a suit against the LLC. That's not to say that they could not name you individually in the suit as the president, etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 AM

When you say cap are you referring to the total amount of snow received for one winter season?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg26 View Post
When you say cap are you referring to the total amount of snow received for one winter season?
i think he means "cap" the profit margin . right off the bat uncle sam gets 15% , should i continue ?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool it up View Post
i think he means "cap" the profit margin . right off the bat uncle sam gets 15% , should i continue ?
please Commercial lingo is new to me.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM

I plow a KMART here in my neck of the woods and we get 3500 per month with a 9 month contact. any thing over 12 inches goes to hourly rate... I really think you are giving them a great deal, you need to figure in your insurance, gas, wear and tear on truck... that picture of the lot looks pretty close to the one I do and we run a loader with a 12 ft pusher and 2 trucks to clear between spaces and other areas were loader cannot get...

Note: Suggest you go visit a couple of times before you submit a bid, you will get an idea of how crazy the lot will be during Saturday morning shopping and Sunday night shopping... The more research you do the more you will see your pricce is WAY to low and they will call you at the first flake to hit the ground causing you to lose money....

THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP INTO THIS....