Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
plowguy43's Avatar
plowguy43 plowguy43 is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Otisfield, Maine
Posts: 4,953
Tundra 5.7 Mileage?

Pretty straight forward, my friend traded his CCSB F350 Tuned/Deleted 6.4 diesel 4x4 in on a 08 Tundra CCSB 4x4 5.7 (because he has issues) but thats beside the fact. He's owned it two weeks and has been getting miserable fuel mileage. The guage was showing 10mpg, so he hand calculated the past 3 tanks which have all ranged from 9.3 - 10.4mpg.

He does mostly city driving in the west roxbury to dorchester area of Boston, but said he's been babying it to try and get whatever he can out of it. It does have a fiberglass cap on it, but stock tires and everything else, 55k miles.

He called me last night saying he's going this weekend to check out some new trucks because he's p*ssed about how bad it is.

Can some of you post up what you get - real world hand calculated with the 5.7 in a crew max? The 4.6 I drove in a Seqouia did mid to upper teens so I was really surprised.
__________________

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Antlerart06 Antlerart06 is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missouri Top of State
Posts: 2,516
My uncle always had new Tundra since they started that line He bought the 5.7 it wasnt long he traded and bought Tocoma He said mpg isnt great in the tocoma but it was better then Tundra
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
CaptainJon CaptainJon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Biddeford Pool, ME
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
Pretty straight forward, my friend traded his CCSB F350 Tuned/Deleted 6.4 diesel 4x4 in on a 08 Tundra CCSB 4x4 5.7 (because he has issues) but thats beside the fact. He's owned it two weeks and has been getting miserable fuel mileage. The guage was showing 10mpg, so he hand calculated the past 3 tanks which have all ranged from 9.3 - 10.4mpg.

He does mostly city driving in the west roxbury to dorchester area of Boston, but said he's been babying it to try and get whatever he can out of it. It does have a fiberglass cap on it, but stock tires and everything else, 55k miles.

He called me last night saying he's going this weekend to check out some new trucks because he's p*ssed about how bad it is.

Can some of you post up what you get - real world hand calculated with the 5.7 in a crew max? The 4.6 I drove in a Seqouia did mid to upper teens so I was really surprised.
That's extremely low mpg. My 4.6 with a cap lifted and 34 inch e load tires with an a foot plow on the front does like 11. With out the plow I get high 15 low 16 around town. High 16 on highway
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
mycirus mycirus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mass
Posts: 588
City driving in a gasser is gonna kill the mileage. It will probably get mid teens on the hiway.But stop and go it will suck it down.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM
plowguy43's Avatar
plowguy43 plowguy43 is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Otisfield, Maine
Posts: 4,953
Yeah I knew the city driving would hurt it but my V10 does better than that in the city, it does better than that with my 1000lb plow in the front and another 600lbs in the bed while driving my plow route.

He said he's checked around on forums and doesn't seem to be the norm unless guys are lying which who really knows.

Anyone have hand calculated mileage they can post up?
__________________

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
mercer_me's Avatar
mercer_me mercer_me is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 5,625
My Dad's 2010 4.6L Double Cab Tundra with 275 Good Year Wrangler Duratracs gets around 15mpg city and 19mpg to 20mpg high way.
__________________
1995 Ford L9000 Wheeler Everest 11' Dust Pan & 10' Wing Down Easter Hopper Spreader - Town Truck
2012 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior 5.7L (8' Fisher Coming Soon)
2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6L Double Cab 6.5' Bed 7.5'

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
04tundra's Avatar
04tundra 04tundra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Havertown, PA
Posts: 134
before i did my lift and tires, id get 12-13 city and 19.5 highway. letting the truck idle for long periods of time ruins the milage..he may be used to his diesel where you can let it idle and not see a major difference. in the winter i let mine warm up for 5-10 mins before i drive it and i only get like 10 mpg in the winter. alot of ppl dont believe in warming vehicles up...i do.
__________________
2008 Toyota Tundra double cab limited 5.7L
7' boss poly sport duty
21 yrs old
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
2COR517's Avatar
2COR517 2COR517 is offline
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: rock - Me - hardplace
Posts: 7,130
Hand calculate mileage? You mean "I had 3/4 tank when I left for Portland, put $40 bucks in, and had 1/2 tank when I got back" isn't accurate enough?
__________________
The Dog Napper

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Snow Commandor Snow Commandor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 07666
Posts: 288
I used to get like 10 around town with my 08 5.7 Tundra & 13 highway. Now I get something like 8 around town & 11 highway with my 99 5.9 Dodge gasser. Makes me wish I still had the 08 Tundra.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
niko's Avatar
niko niko is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: marshfield, mass
Posts: 20
i'm averaging 15.5 in my 07 5.7
__________________
my first wife didn't like me fishing so much
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
heavychevy01's Avatar
heavychevy01 heavychevy01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 91
I'm getting between 10-12mpg on average on a '12 DC with 1200 miles on it doing all city driving. Hoping it gets a little better come spring/summer and breaking the engine in a little.
__________________
'12 Tundra Limited
7'6" Fisher MM2
Toro 826 LE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
jasonv jasonv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: kannada
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlerart06 View Post
My uncle always had new Tundra since they started that line He bought the 5.7 it wasnt long he traded and bought Tocoma He said mpg isnt great in the tocoma but it was better then Tundra
MPG is awesome in the Tacoma, as long as you don't do something retarded, like buy the V6. V6 = fuel hog, upper 10's. I4 = upper 20's. I4-2wd = low/mid 30's.


Regarding Tundras... yeah, a gas V8 won't get even marginally acceptable mileage. The proper engine option is always the SMALLEST engine available. Better fuel economy and can do all the same work. For the Tundra, that should be a 4.0 V6. Probably pull mid 10's, maybe high 10's.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
plowguy43's Avatar
plowguy43 plowguy43 is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Otisfield, Maine
Posts: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04tundra View Post
before i did my lift and tires, id get 12-13 city and 19.5 highway. letting the truck idle for long periods of time ruins the milage..he may be used to his diesel where you can let it idle and not see a major difference. in the winter i let mine warm up for 5-10 mins before i drive it and i only get like 10 mpg in the winter. alot of ppl dont believe in warming vehicles up...i do.
I believe in it as well, he doesn't really do it much. His F350 had remote start so he used it all the time. This one doesn't, so he gets in and goes. thanks for the info, sounds like maybe his truck is on par with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
Hand calculate mileage? You mean "I had 3/4 tank when I left for Portland, put $40 bucks in, and had 1/2 tank when I got back" isn't accurate enough?
Thats the kind of info I was looking for, how else do you calculate mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy01 View Post
I'm getting between 10-12mpg on average on a '12 DC with 1200 miles on it doing all city driving. Hoping it gets a little better come spring/summer and breaking the engine in a little.
Thanks for the info, sounds like thats just what they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonv View Post
MPG is awesome in the Tacoma, as long as you don't do something retarded, like buy the V6. V6 = fuel hog, upper 10's. I4 = upper 20's. I4-2wd = low/mid 30's.


Regarding Tundras... yeah, a gas V8 won't get even marginally acceptable mileage. The proper engine option is always the SMALLEST engine available. Better fuel economy and can do all the same work. For the Tundra, that should be a 4.0 V6. Probably pull mid 10's, maybe high 10's.
I disagree, my V10 gets the same if not better mileage than the V8 2500 of the same year. My Dakota 4.7 always did better than the V6 my in laws have and theirs is a Reg Cab/Short bed, mine was a Quad Cab Short Bed. My HEMI 2500 got the same mileage as my 02 4.7 Ram 1500.

Are there cases where this differs, absolutely, but I wouldn't say its the norm. A more powerful engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the same amount of weight moving - torque output plays a variable as well.
__________________

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Snowzilla Snowzilla is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 398
This site is used in a lot mpg discussions.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tundra
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
2COR517's Avatar
2COR517 2COR517 is offline
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: rock - Me - hardplace
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
Hand calculate mileage? You mean "I had 3/4 tank when I left for Portland, put $40 bucks in, and had 1/2 tank when I got back" isn't accurate enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
Thats the kind of info I was looking for, how else do you calculate mileage?.
Plus, we went to The Governor's over in South Portland for pie on the way home. So she did pretty good on gas, guy.
__________________
The Dog Napper

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
plowguy43's Avatar
plowguy43 plowguy43 is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Otisfield, Maine
Posts: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
Plus, we went to The Governor's over in South Portland for pie on the way home. So she did pretty good on gas, guy.
Yessah those foreign jobs are wicked pissah on gas. LOL
__________________

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
sld92e_23's Avatar
sld92e_23 sld92e_23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 46
Im getting about 9-10 mpg and i live in Boston....with my 07 tundra 5.7




Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
Pretty straight forward, my friend traded his CCSB F350 Tuned/Deleted 6.4 diesel 4x4 in on a 08 Tundra CCSB 4x4 5.7 (because he has issues) but thats beside the fact. He's owned it two weeks and has been getting miserable fuel mileage. The guage was showing 10mpg, so he hand calculated the past 3 tanks which have all ranged from 9.3 - 10.4mpg.

He does mostly city driving in the west roxbury to dorchester area of Boston, but said he's been babying it to try and get whatever he can out of it. It does have a fiberglass cap on it, but stock tires and everything else, 55k miles.

He called me last night saying he's going this weekend to check out some new trucks because he's p*ssed about how bad it is.

Can some of you post up what you get - real world hand calculated with the 5.7 in a crew max? The 4.6 I drove in a Seqouia did mid to upper teens so I was really surprised.
__________________
S&D EXTERIOR SERVICES
WWW.SDPLOW.COM
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
plowguy43's Avatar
plowguy43 plowguy43 is online now
2000 Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Otisfield, Maine
Posts: 4,953
Well as an update, after 3 weeks of ownership he traded it in on an F150 Crew Cab. The issue with the truck was mostly he wasn't thrilled about it at all - it was a color he hated, it didn't have a 6 1/2' bed that he wanted, and the mileage was just the kicker for him - all things I told him about prior to buying it when he traded his F350 in but he jumped on it because the "deal" was right money wise.

He ended up yet again taking a small hit trading it but he's now "happy" at least for the next 6 months.
__________________

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
jasonv jasonv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: kannada
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
I disagree, my V10 gets the same if not better mileage than the V8 2500 of the same year. My Dakota 4.7 always did better than the V6 my in laws have and theirs is a Reg Cab/Short bed, mine was a Quad Cab Short Bed. My HEMI 2500 got the same mileage as my 02 4.7 Ram 1500.
Makes no difference if you agree or not, its fact and physics. Smaller engine is always more efficient. PERIOD.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
jasonv jasonv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: kannada
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
it didn't have a 6 1/2' bed that he wanted
Isn't 6.5 the "short" version? How can anyone possibly want a SHORT bed? I would NEVER own a full size truck with less than an 8 foot bed, or a compact with less than a 6 foot.

I think your friend might be neurologically challenged.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2012 PlowSite.comô Moose River Media
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.03462 seconds with 9 queries