Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM

Plastic/Poly Blades

Hi, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience using the polyurethane blade .
I am considering trying one out for our bigger truck ,11 foot plow, but they are spendy. I am using the rubber blades now and they work pretty good , but i am hearing [ from the poly manufacturers] that Poly will outlast rubber 10 to 1 and take a bigger beating to boot.
We plow 11 miles of paved 2 lane Forest Service rd and 3 miles of gravel , so lots of trips to keep the road open and safe for our guests.
Thank you
Davidc
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Hi,
If you can afford it i sugest a carbide edge with a steel cover edge. We use them where i work in southern ny and they last for years before we have to change them.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM

Unhappy Plastic/Poly Blades

Hi and Thanks, What I didnt mention is, the Forest Service requires us to leave two inches of snow, or hardpack , or ice on the 10 miles of paved road they own, or if we use rubber or poly, then we could go all the way to the road surface. We found with running steel bits with shoes left the rquired 2 inches, but leaving that 2 inches of snow , turning to slush , then freezing made for a unsafe road to say the least, and hard to plow come next storm. We went with the rubber to get it clean all the way to the deck, or nearly so.
I cant run steel /carbide on the pavement under those conditions
Thanks again
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM

There is no question, the poly edge will last longer. A poly edge will outlast steel. If your running lots of road miles, and the contract allows for it, poly is the way to go.

Follow the mounting instructions by the manufacturer to avoid chatter/damage to the edge. They mount much lower than steel to prevent flexing.

All the best.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Thanks ,.. I figure to give it a try, I will post observations after a few hundred miles or so.
Davidc
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

I use an 11' poly American Snow Plow with a carbide cutting edge. It works great on hot top but, on gravel it digs in to much and trips a lot.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM

IMO city or Highway, steel blade is way to go.. They take curb or structure beatings better than ploys and if ya get break downs theyre easier to fix
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM

heard of people around here using them on brick driveways
2013 Boss Dxt
2013 Kubota SLV-75

www.WdsmLawnCare.com
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM

I'd like to know how you make out with the poly edge also.
We run carbide edge under steel edges on all our blades. We have 2 - 9' blades with this set up, each one runs aprox. 11 miles each of 2 lane road, plus a couple parking lots. Those two blades have had the same edges on for the past eight years, and are still going strong.
I have never tried the rubber edges myself, but from guys who have used them, it seems they are a mixed bag of nuts, some love em-others hate em.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 PM

poly blades

Well , I dont have anything to report yet as we didnt get a poly bit after all, and the season is coming to an end , next season i hope to have at least one on a piece of equipment.
The State boys around here use steel or carrbide , but they are able to drop it down all the way to the road deck,.. they also spend a lot of the summer months fixing their roads , a big bunch of that fixing i hear, is needed because of snowplowing. Anyway the U.S Forest Service owns the road we plow and if we mess it up , we pay for it. Which is why they [F.S] say the blade has to be 2 inches above the road , OR we can use Rubber and maybe Poly and go all the way.
We use rubber on 2 of the plows, but our new 5500 Dodge with V Boss plow, I am using the shoes to stay above road , and then clean up with the International which has a 11 foot rubber blade. It worked ok for this season, but i think the poly on all our plows, except the backhoe, is our ultimate solution.
We have used rubber for only 3 winters now, they are a bit over $300.00 incl.shipping for the 11 footer, and they dont quite last an entire season. They are easy on the road, and forgiving when we forget to raise the blade at a "bridge joint", which happens all to often. Ours seems to need adjusting to often as they can wear uneven,[ road crown, ice build up etc], Also rubber doesnt cut hard pack or ice, so we have to make extra trips and get out early to keep the road clean and not let any build up form.
Overall rubber works pretty good for us, but Im hoping Poly will be even better, with less adjustinments needed and perhaps it will cut the hard pack ,maybe ice, we will just have to remember to raise the blade at bridges.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM

The bridge expansion joint issue is a BIG one. To replace or repair an expansion joint is thousands of dollars. You do not want to damage one. If you catch one with a poly, it could snap that blade off. If there are alot of these joints on the route I would consider sticking with rubber. Especially if you use different drivers. Even though you burn thru rubber edges, it may save you money in the long run.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks ,good thought! we do have differenjt drivers and varying experience levels,