Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Chicagoland Ice Storm 27JAN2013

Just wanted to give a ringing endorsement to this company's product. I bought a 30" Snowplow from a local Ace Hardware store. I'm a dyed in the wool skeptic, had to hold one in my hands before I dropped that kind of $$$ on a shovel. Gladly paid $50 for it after checking it out and seeing how well it was built.

Used it a coupla times for some light snow, once for some pretty crusty stuff as well. Loved how light it was compared to steel, and how much better the entire leading edge stayed on the surface compared to a plastic one. Also VERY impressed how it doesn't get snagged at every damn seam/cut/crack in a sidewalk.

Last night it (and myself and 14 year old boy) got it's first real work out. We got a nice 1/8" - 1/4" glazing of ice and had to go scrape sidewalks in the rain. This thing was incredible! My experience was exactly that of the popular youtube video of the guy scraping ice on his deck. The blade popped right under the ice, and with a little downforce from my non-handle hand, glided along snapping up ice and throwing it out of the way. ANY TIME that it seemed to snag on a particular spot, I was able to simply turn the shovel over, and the other edge would break through. Not 1 time did I have to chop or use other means to break up the ice.

Also, clearing the broken up ice worked so nicely by using the lightest touch/pressure possible, and just gliding along. Can't say enough about how impressed I am with this product. Definitely worth the investment, and I plan on purchasing more as our sidewalk crews will be growing next year!

Now, if only we could get some #&$%$^* snow in Chicago!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Just wanted to give a ringing endorsement to this company's product. I bought a 30" Snowplow from a local Ace Hardware store. I'm a dyed in the wool skeptic, had to hold one in my hands before I dropped that kind of $$$ on a shovel. Gladly paid $50 for it after checking it out and seeing how well it was built.

Used it a coupla times for some light snow, once for some pretty crusty stuff as well. Loved how light it was compared to steel, and how much better the entire leading edge stayed on the surface compared to a plastic one. Also VERY impressed how it doesn't get snagged at every damn seam/cut/crack in a sidewalk.

Last night it (and myself and 14 year old boy) got it's first real work out. We got a nice 1/8" - 1/4" glazing of ice and had to go scrape sidewalks in the rain. This thing was incredible! My experience was exactly that of the popular youtube video of the guy scraping ice on his deck. The blade popped right under the ice, and , glided along snapping up ice and throwing it out of the way. ANY TIME that it seemed to snag on a particular spot, I was able to simply turn the shovel over, and the other edge would break through. Not 1 time did I have to chop or use other means to break up the ice.

Also, clearing the broken up ice worked so nicely by using the lightest touch/pressure possible, and just gliding along. Can't say enough about how impressed I am with this product. Definitely worth the investment, and I plan on purchasing more as our sidewalk crews will be growing next year!

Now, if only we could get some #&$%$^* snow in Chicago!
That's good to hear as I have been skeptacle myself. What exactly did you mean when you said, "with a little downforce from my non-handle hand"? Where you pushing down on the handles or pushing on the blade with your hand? Thanks for the info
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowzilla View Post
That's good to hear as I have been skeptacle myself. What exactly did you mean when you said, "with a little downforce from my non-handle hand"? Where you pushing down on the handles or pushing on the blade with your hand? Thanks for the info
One hand on the handle to steer, the other about 1/3-1/2 down the shaft applying downforce to get/keep the blade under the ice.

Used it again yesterday in 4" of light fluffy snow and basically just walked along with a very light touch and it moved the snow like, well, a plow.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Love these shovels! I use ours up side down all the time on Ice and hard pack. Pulls it up real well, and then flip the plow over and clean up.