Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
im not saying its not hard work. its very hard work. im just saying there is no need to go to counseling because you did it for 20 minutes. there are people who do MUCH harder work in much more DANGEROUS fields, they do not get counseling.

frankly, anyone who would need counseling simply because he had to do a bit of hard work; i hope this person to not be the one im relying on to save my life. someone that screwed up would freak out inside a burning house and would lose his life the same as me, being burned up in a fire.

although, if it were me, i would just toss something out the window and go outside.
He's not saying consoling, he said rehab.
You knock down some flame rescue the people you can and you and your buddy take a break. FYI, private ambulance crews work 24 hour shifts.
Fire fighting is a pretty dangerous job, especially with the newer homes.
Also saftey officer, ranks higher than chief on the fire ground.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well it's pretty realistic to me because thats the way i do it.

now granted normally we don't get large amounts like that. we get between 2-4 inches each snow fall. those i work straight through. roughly 8-10 hours of work.

but on the times when we get large amounts. i do the one's that HAVE to be done, then i make my way through my route. after about 12 hours of working i go home, sleep for 6-8 hours and pick up where i left off after that.

there's no reason to risk your health for snow removal or money. i'm solo. if something happened to me then no one would get there snow done, not by me anyway.

maybe i just have the right clients for this work, but it does work.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossPlow2010 View Post
He's not saying consoling, he said rehab.
You knock down some flame rescue the people you can and you and your buddy take a break. FYI, private ambulance crews work 24 hour shifts.
Fire fighting is a pretty dangerous job, especially with the newer homes.
Also saftey officer, ranks higher than chief on the fire ground.
the word he used was therapy.

nods
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Nope. Just looked and no one said therapy and the posts weren't edited.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTVLandscaping View Post
There actually are protocols in place for this sort of thing. NFPA requires firefighters to go to rehab after 20 minutes of strenuous work. Sorry...former fire chief.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
i just got done working a big shift. i dont feel unhealthy. cannot seem to sleep for more than a few hours tho. but if i have to plow tonight it wont be a big event so i shoudl be able to go to bed early tonight and sleep well.
well by all means work as long as you wish with no sleep.

but me, I'm not doing it and I don't recommend it. 12 hours straight is the max I will work on any job for anything. after that's its as many as 6-8 hours of z's before I go back. no matter what the circumstances are.

p.s.

the word used was REHAB, not therapy or counseling.

Last edited by yardguy28; 01-23-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Sorry...I forget most people have a misconception of what rehab is. In most cases, safety officer trumps chief, but I was better qualified than my safety officer so in my case I still out ranked him.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
2000 Club Member

Look. Iv been plowing for 36 hiurs with some sleep to help. Im intitled to read at least one word incorrectly.

Chuckles.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
well by all means work as long as you wish with no sleep.

but me, I'm not doing it and I don't recommend it. 12 hours straight is the max I will work on any job for anything. after that's its as many as 6-8 hours of z's before I go back. no matter what the circumstances are.
How does this work in the plowing business. My customers would drop us like a bad habit if we just called it quits after 12 hours and didn't come back for 6-8 hours. You must have very understanding people which seems to work for you. We have gone over 30 hours plenty of times over the years. It wasn't fun but it was either that or lose every contract we have. And if they didn't fire us we would have had a lot of snow to deal with at one time.
If it works for you then that's all that matters. I have a hunch that the majority on ps do whatever it takes to get the job done, maybe catching and hour of sleep here and there.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM

well like I said most of the snows are done straight through as we generally get no more 6" at a time. usually 2"-4".

but there was a time or 2 got hit worse and like you said, I guess I have understanding people. most of my snow removal clients are senior citizens. I did the ones that had to be places like work then started my route from there. once I worked 12 hours I came home grabbed about 6-8 hours of sleep and hit it at 6am the next day to finish up.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
well like I said most of the snows are done straight through as we generally get no more 6" at a time. usually 2"-4".

but there was a time or 2 got hit worse and like you said, I guess I have understanding people. most of my snow removal clients are senior citizens. I did the ones that had to be places like work then started my route from there. once I worked 12 hours I came home grabbed about 6-8 hours of sleep and hit it at 6am the next day to finish up.
Well that works. Sounds like you're residential which might be my disconnect. We are 100% commercial properties and just can't do that. Typically they're not very understanding.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS Inc. View Post
Well that works. Sounds like you're residential which might be my disconnect. We are 100% commercial properties and just can't do that. Typically they're not very understanding.
They tend to frown when that delivery wasn't made at 4 Am or their employees couldn't get into the parking lot at 6 AM
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
what about firefighters that are up for 24 hr plus while fighting a fire? should they take a break every 12 hours?
Quote:
rehab, because he worked for 20 minutes.....

did you mean 20 hours? if so. wouldnt rehab be kidna counter productive, you need sleep, not to remain awake.

going back to sleepy time. wife said i have to
Quote:
Well. It finally happonee to me......

I got tired.

Got a few hours of sleep and went back out. Was a quick route. 7 ish hours. On my way back to this side of town i was on a good long road i startee to doze off. I nearly side swipee the curb.

2 thirds of my route was done. All was left was a couple drives and a couple lots that were quite far back and i knew would have no population.

I only ended up doing 1 drive as this part of town got no more than a quarter inch. But once i got to the drive and started working again i was well wide awake.

Oh well. It is what it is. Iv been more tired not doing anything important. But no snow this part of town. Will be nice to get some 3rd shift sleep.
Quote:
im not saying its not hard work. its very hard work. im just saying there is no need to go to counseling because you did it for 20 minutes. there are people who do MUCH harder work in much more DANGEROUS fields, they do not get counseling.

frankly, anyone who would need counseling simply because he had to do a bit of hard work; i hope this person to not be the one im relying on to save my life. someone that screwed up would freak out inside a burning house and would lose his life the same as me, being burned up in a fire.

although, if it were me, i would just toss something out the window and go outside.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton2286 View Post
Can we please just let this be the only answer? Just once? lol
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
2000 Club Member

You sure put alot of work into that.. Hope it was worth it
Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
2000 Club Member

On a related note. I dont really know what i would do if i got a plus 36 hour snowfall. I dont think i could go past that without at least 8 hours of sleep. Guess i would be calling every contractor i could and hoping they had room
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
On a related note. I dont really know what i would do if i got a plus 36 hour snowfall. I dont think i could go past that without at least 8 hours of sleep. Guess i would be calling every contractor i could and hoping they had room
The problem is that the other contractors would in the same boat most likely. If it gets that crazy hopefully nobody leaves their house

BTW: I really don't know why you put up with this crap. Better yet I can't figure out why people find it necessary to analyze every comment you make. Rehab not therapy...counseling.....OMG I'm gonna show this guy.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM

My bad he said rehab
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS Inc. View Post
that very well could be. i have one commercial property i do. and even at that, since our city isn't use to seeing HUGE amounts of snow the city would probably shut down with a foot or more of snow anyway. so that gives me time to get things done as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Yardguy 3-4 years ago we had a big storm. And the mayor called a city emergency. I thank we got 9" in 5hr time with 20-35 MPH winds. And yes if we get more than 12" this city closes down.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM

yeah i remember that one.....

that was the first season i had my snow plow. got it installed, took the truck home, sat for a couple of hours then put it to work.

i did 2 visit on all my properties. once at 4.5" then again after the rest fell. can't remember my sleeping pattern but i know i've never or would never work 30+ hours straight with no sleep. i doubt you could get me out there for much more than 12 straight.
Closed Thread