Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Help with dodge 4x4 please

Wasn't sure if I should list this here or in the dodge forum but here goes....

My 04 1500 is eating front end parts. I've replaced everything up front- ball joints, control arms, cv axles and the intermediate axles. The truck has 97k on it so I know some of it is just maintainence but breaking both the cv axles and the intermediates is troubling to me. I'm not hard on my equip and I don't plow hardly any commercial accts. I'm running a fisher 7 1/2' blade. And before anyone says upgrade to a 3/4, 1 ton, 550, triaxle or whatever, that's the idea for next year. I'm just concerned about this problem as I plan on keeping this truck as my daily driver.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM

It's just the light-weight construction of the trucks nowadays. While my wife was driving my '07 half-ton, a front bearing went bad (sealed and not greasable by the way), it caused me about 1,500 in front end damage. Got so hot it busted a tire, had to replace an axle and some other stuff that I forget now. I had to replace front shocks at about 50K because they were leaking all over my driveway as well. Overall, not a lot of complaints about this truck specifically, I just have to remind myself that this is the way the entire half-ton industry is heading due to EPA and MPG. I also took it in to have the front end aligned about three months ago, and they told me that they couldn't do it until I replaced the inner and outer tie rods due to them being so worn that a front end alignment would be useless unless I replaced them.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

A half ton is not a real truck. Only put your plow in when needed, don't drive around with it on.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark lawn View Post
A half ton is not a real truck. Only put your plow in when needed, don't drive around with it on.
Gee thanks, never would've thought of that ::
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM
2000 Club Member

Just did the ball joints, front hubs and hub actuators on my F-150 today. Going in for an alignment tomorrow. I'm hoping to not hear that I need to do the tie-rod ends.

Went with Timken front hubs, MOOG problem solver ball joints, and Dorman Actuators. The truck has 150k on it so it should last the life of the truck.

Whenever possible on your dodge, replace parts with grease-able higher end parts. It might help in the long run.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Just did the ball joints, front hubs and hub actuators on my F-150 today. Going in for an alignment tomorrow. I'm hoping to not hear that I need to do the tie-rod ends.

Went with Timken front hubs, MOOG problem solver ball joints, and Dorman Actuators. The truck has 150k on it so it should last the life of the truck.

Whenever possible on your dodge, replace parts with grease-able higher end parts. It might help in the long run.

Yes, that's what I did with the hubs and ball joints. The axles came directly from the local dodge dealer do they should be ok, well, I hope they are.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo1 View Post
Yes, that's what I did with the hubs and ball joints. The axles came directly from the local dodge dealer do they should be ok, well, I hope they are.
Ya, I doubt there is an aftermarket axle you could get without spending an arm and a leg.

Is it a solid axle or are you talking the CV shafts?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

No. Unfortunately its cv shafts. As a matter of fact I lost my 4wd yesterday. Put it up on the lift and got into it today. Broke a bearing in the front diff and ruined the ring gear. Got a new one coming tomorrow. Fortunately dodge parts are cheap. I think this trucks career has come to an end. I worked a deal with my friend I sub for to where I'll finish the season in one of his trucks as an hourly employee which is ok by me. On the bright side, I guess I have all year to find another truck to plow with.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM

I have a 2000 Dodge 1500 Quad cab and it has never plowed snow, but I am always changing axle joints, ball Joints ,wheel bearings and sway bar links. I think when this truck gets retired that will be the end of my dodge experience!

T-R
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 AM

I've upgraded my front ball joints and such...much like a lot of others. However, I went with the free-spin front hub kit this last time. From now on, replacing front wheel hubs can be done in one afternoon and will cost buttloads less.

I myself have never really had any major problems with my 2500 and it just passed 300k miles.
Hiniker Reversible C-plow
Arien snowblowers
6 Case skid steer loaders available and growing
Numerous additional plows available and growing
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 PM
PlowSite Veteran

Do yourself a favor and get at least a 3/4 ton or bigger. The 1/2 ton's are just not built heavy duty enough to plow with. You just wear out parts and break parts. Brakes wear out quicker too. I went to a 3/4 ton, never broke a drive train part. Just normal wear and tear stuff. Got 30,000 between front end rebuilds and axle U-Joints....
till the wife takes her cut.

(The BIG RED DRAIN II, the wife calls it)
99 F-250 LD XLT 5.4
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiRig1 View Post
Do yourself a favor and get at least a 3/4 ton or bigger. The 1/2 ton's are just not built heavy duty enough to plow with. You just wear out parts and break parts. Brakes wear out quicker too. I went to a 3/4 ton, never broke a drive train part. Just normal wear and tear stuff. Got 30,000 between front end rebuilds and axle U-Joints....
That's the plan. I'm pretty good right now since my truck is worth a lot more than what I owe. Looks like I'll be shopping come spring time.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
PlowSite Veteran

People will be unloading trucks since it's been such a weak snow season. They don't need a 4X4 truck when we get no snow.
till the wife takes her cut.

(The BIG RED DRAIN II, the wife calls it)
99 F-250 LD XLT 5.4
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiRig1 View Post
People will be unloading trucks since it's been such a weak snow season. They don't need a 4X4 truck when we get no snow.
Yes, you could probably get a truck with a plow already on for a steal
Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM

My recommendation is No Dodges!!!

T-R
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post

Don't replace with 1500 parts replace with 2500 v10 parts they will fit
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
No. Unfortunately its cv shafts. As a matter of fact I lost my 4wd yesterday. Put it up on the lift and got into it today. Broke a bearing in the front diff and ruined the ring gear. Got a new one coming tomorrow. Fortunately dodge parts are cheap. I think this trucks career has come to an end. I worked a deal with my friend I sub for to where I'll finish the season in one of his trucks as an hourly employee which is ok by me. On the bright side, I guess I have all year to find another truck to plow with.
The only half ton truck I would ever plow with was my old solid axel 85 Dodge W100! That truck was indestructable! I had less front end problems with that truck than my friend had with his 3/4 ton Chevy. Man I miss that old truck.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

This is the first dodge I've ever owned. I'm pretty sure it will be my last. I've never had this many problems with any of the Chevys I've had combined. That being said I may be tempted into an f250. I figure I've got till around September to decide.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Unfortionately all the new 3/4 ton trucks today have independant front-ends, making them more high maintenance under plowing conditions. There's no equal in the world to having a bomb-proof Dana 60 front-end like the first and second gen. Dodge 2500's had! That's what I love about my 99 Dodge 2500! Definately go with the aftemarket Moog front-end parts that have grease zurks built in. They will outlast any oem replacement parts.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Commandor View Post
Unfortionately all the new 3/4 ton trucks today have independant front-ends, making them more high maintenance under plowing conditions. There's no equal in the world to having a bomb-proof Dana 60 front-end like the first and second gen. Dodge 2500's had! That's what I love about my 99 Dodge 2500! Definately go with the aftemarket Moog front-end parts that have grease zurks built in. They will outlast any oem replacement parts.
What year did the dodge 2500 go to independent front suspension?